Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Stumpjumper Evo frame
  • sidders34
    Free Member

Had my 16 Stumpy 6fattie for 5 years now and running it as a 29er.

Fancy a change and the cheapest option seems to be getting a new frame. The Evo 29er has caught my attention.

Can’t find a full build it on or try anywhere. Just looking for anyone who may have tried one and how does it compare to a regular stumpjumper, biggest concern is that head tube is is 20mm less than mine so may feel too low. Think the extra length in reach would be useful as mine is quite short.

Also seen the alloy Sentinel for a similar price and they seem very similar?

Any advice would be great.

Chris

sf185047
    Free Member

I have the carbon 29er which I bought as a frame only. Its an interesting bike, 63.5″ head angle, long reach and chainstays, but only 140mm of travel out back. I’ve not ridden a regular Stumpy lately so can’t comment on the similarities but it will pedal the same I’m sure as its the same design. I haven’t found the front to be too low though as I prefer a lower front end for grip etc. If your planning on using it as a xc/trail bike then I would look elsewhere though, the bb is really low which causes a lot of pedal strikes. Another drawback (I think the regular Stumpy is the same) is its too linear, I go through the travel loads and thats with a heavier spring than recommended and a link which changes the progression. In steep stuff its great though as the geo brings a bit of calmness that you dont get with more conservative designs. As I said its an interesting bike, its not perfect but it does excel at some riding. All depends what you want to use it for.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Owned a Stumpy Evo 29 alloy for an year, honestly, can’t recommend it.
    Is an interesting experiment, but a flawed one. Mine was with the shock spacer removed (155mm rear travel) and a 160mm fork, always on high setting.
    Let’s start with the pluses:
    – it’s great at cornering, as long as the terrain is smooth
    – it’s a very comfortable bike at moderate paces
    – high quality finish
    – gorgeous
    – loads of rear wheel traction

Minus:
    – it’s not very durable, mine kept creaking from everywhere, bending shock bolts and most pivot bearings where shot within an year
    – BB is way too low, even on high setting. It’s really a handicap when climbing any actual trail (not a fireroad), even sprinting becomes a hazard
    – very low anti squat makes it sluggish on climbs. And I hate climb switches
    – very linear rear suspension, easily reaches it’s limits when one starts to push the bike.

Now own a V3 AM9 (actually my second AM9, had one before the Evo, regretted that move badly…), way better bike, much more robust, much better climber, much more composed downhill, can actually pedals it over rocks and such. Only drawback I can think of is that it looks like an agricultural appliance next to the Evo

sidders34
    Free Member

Thanks for the thoughts. It sounds like it may just be a bit too much bike for me and a regular stumpy would suit me better. I want the bike to be a bit of an all rounder, this seems a bit too focussed.

Chris

zezaskar
    Free Member

Not to sound like too much of a Stumpy basher, but I’d say the regular Stumpjumper shares many of the same issues with the Evo, like poor pedaling performance, durability and linear rear suspension.

So many killer options on that range right now, would be hard pressed to even consider a Stumpjumper.
    Have you looked at the new Bird Aether 9C, or even the Pace RC295?

orangeboy
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2018 stumpy evo 29 and I like it. Took me a little while to adjust to the longer slacker front end.

I’ve swapped the wheel to Dt Swiss ones and it’s been fine. BPW and local rides

Only thing broken is the crappy dub bottom brackets even after a week in Moab.

It is a bit sluggish climbing but not unmanageable

sidders34
    Free Member

Thanks Orangeboy, sounds a bit more promising.

Zezaskar – thanks for the detail, I’ve owned 3 Stumpys in a row since 2008 and have been faultless (well once I changed the PF30 to a hope one)

Good alternate choice especially the Pace but more than I want to spend. Evo and Sentinel are under 1300 as a frame only.

andybrad

I ended up with the standard stumpy as the bb was too low for me on the evo.

it needs an air shock imo.

twohats
    Free Member

I’ve been riding an Evo 29er for just over a year now and like it.
    It’s definitely not a bike for everyone though.
    If it’s used as intended for its a hooligan of a bike!
    For me it’s definitely a play bike, as in I rag it down all my favourite trails really pushing it to the limit. When ridden like that it’s a very fun and rewarding bike.
    If you’re into more xc riding and not pushing it, it’s a bit dull.
    That said, it copes with long days in the saddle fine, climbs quite well considering the geometry, much better than most of my previous bikes in fact.
    As for the rear suspension, it definitely works better with an air shock. It’s not a plush rear but with a good bit of pressure in the shock and not too much sag it works fine considering its only 140mm. Run the rear hard and ride it hard!
    As for pedal strikes, 165 cranks sorts that.
    Clicks and creaks, that’s pretty much all full suspension mountain bikes at some point.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Rumoured to be a lot better with the Cascade Link & longer stroke shock. But then you have essentially created a sh*tter version of the Enduro.

New Stumpy is inbound, so these will be being sold off cheap I expect.

nickc

Rode the Carbon version of the Evo for a couple of days, and I’d agree that it’s a bit too linear and the BB is probs too low, but a stiffer spring sorts both of those issues while robbing you of a bit of small bump compliance (and let’s be honest if you’re worried about that and you’ve bought this bike, then you’ve bought the wrong bike)

The biggest problem with the Stumpy Evo is the fact that the Spesh Enduro exists.

steel4real
    Free Member

I built a 27.5 alloy evo just over a year ago – paid full price for the frame as well I think they’re getting sold off now at £1300!?

As it was my own build, I like it, it isn’t perfect BUT it’s a lot of fun. Components came of a Brid Aeris MK1.5 and for me it’s a better bike. The frame weighed the same (S3 compared to Large) Yes the rear suspension is a bit linear but even the stock shock can be tuned with spacers to make it work ok, but can be a bit of a trade off. Mines got a 160mm Pike on and I run it mid way between the low and ‘high’ position as the shock yoke touched the frame in the high position 🙁 (not likely to be an issue on the 29er version as the yoke is further away from the seat tube)

It corners really well, love the riding position, gives confidence on steeps and likes going fast as it’s stable. Ridden regularly in Rocky areas, Peak & Wharny, pedal strikes are a minor concern.

I’d agree the BB could be 10mm higher but that’s on a 27.5, it already is on the 29er so shouldn’t be an issue (a good friend has the 29er version run in low setting and hasn’t noticed it) . The stock bikes came with 2.6 tyres but I’m running 2.4’s. The integrated headsets can be annoying but Specialized use the same design across most of their bikes so a regular re-grease isn’t the end of the world.

SirHC

Had one for a few weeks, luckily found a cheapish ali one second hand, as was about to commit to the carbon one.

The sizing of them is odd, the S3 felt smaller than my large enduro, which you can put down to the 30mm of spacers and a 30mm riser bar to get the front end at a sensible height (how people ride them with slammed front ends, I have no idea).

First ride on it, it was underwhelming, front end felt pretty good, but the rear suspension wallowed and felt dead, changing to a stiffer spring helped, but then it was chattery over the small stuff.

Second ride was with a DB inline and a lighter set of wheels, similar weight to my enduro. It was way better than the previous day, but it still felt really cramped. If they did an S4 in carbon, with an air shock and the cascade link, I’d give it a second chance. 105mm head tubes on large frames are daft, should be around 120mm, then the reach measurement is more relevant.

Sold it and wen’t back to my enduro, which was just a better bike. Be interesting to see the direction they take with the 2021 stumpy and whether they kill off the evo. Judging by how many are discounted, they hadn’t sold many in the uk batch!

zezaskar
    Free Member

Maybe I sound a little too negative about the Evo so let me refrase it: it’s not like the Evo is a bad bike, it’s just that there are, IMHO, much better bikes around.
    If I was riding mostly bikeparks and trail centers I could pump that shock up and have a riot with it.

Some mentioned pushing the bike, but that’s actually when pushing it that I found the limits of the bike

sidders34
    Free Member

Well you’ve all given me plenty to think about. Good to hear the good and the bad. Thanks all

beer247
    Free Member

Got one, love it

Ragged it for nearly 12 months – if you look after it (i.e clean it once in a while and check pivot bolt torque) there should be no creaks or pivot bearings wearing prematurely.

I use one of the Cane Creek Progressive Springs and that deals with the linear nature of the frame.

Run it in low position and only get the odd pedal strike – the low BB makes it an absolute hooligan in corners

Its the perfect DHers trail bike!

I’ve never had an issue with climbing either, its like most 29ers, get it up to speed and it flys

The only reason i would move it on is that fashion dictates that i should be on a bike with a longer reach measurement……I just can’t bring myself to do it!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Stumpjumper Evo frame’ is closed to new replies.