Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Stumpjumer FSR 120 fork options
  • markharro
    Free Member

Hi I have an S-Works stumpy frame that is probably around 15 years old. I use a pair of Marzochi forks with it that are pretty poor quality. The handbook that came with the frame says that the frame will take up to a 130mm travel fork.
    The problem I have is trying to source the best quality fork that will fit the frame. At the moment I run 26 inch wheels with the old style quick release hubs. There appear to be very few if any new forks that are compatible ie high end/straight steerer I think and that will fit my wheels.
    Does anyone know if/where I can buy a set of forks (either 120 or 130 travel) new or does anyone have a pair for sale second hand that are in really good condition? thanks

joebristol

A mate was tarting U.K. an old steel Kona hardtail for another mate he knows. He recently picked up an air RS Recon silver with straight steerer and 9mm qr dropouts. Think it was from Bikester or Bikeinn.

Or you maybe able to pickup a set of Suntour Epixons online with straight steerer / 9mm qrs.

I’m sure when I looked a few years ago Manitou might have made something too – maybe a Markhor?

I don’t think you’ll pickup anything much fancier than those brand new. Secondhand something like a u-turn RS Revelation would probably be ideal.

markharro
    Free Member

Thanks very much = very helpful

asbrooks

I’m going to be braking up my old inbred in the coming weeks. It is equipped with a set of RS solo-air revs RL with 15mm maxle-lite. Currently set at 120mm travel, but I also have the original 150 airshaft. Also have a spare front 15mm through axle wheel.
    They’ve seen very little use since purchasing them new around 5 years ago due to broken collar one and new bike. currently the bike in on a turbo trainer.

Looking for £150 with the wheel.

markharro
    Free Member

Would you be able to send any photos of the forks and wheel?

asbrooks

I can take some this evening and DM you.

thols2

The handbook that came with the frame says that the frame will take up to a 130mm travel fork.

IME, overforking bikes by 20 mm or so is an improvement, provided you don’t start thrashing over big drops. The recommended fork is really more about warranty than anything, if you ride it within sensible limits, it won’t put any significant extra stress on the frame.

Depending on the head tube diameter, it might be possible to fit a tapered steerer fork in there if you replace the lower headset bearings. If so, a 27.5″ fork would allow you to transfer the fork to a newer frame in the future, even if you stick with the current 26″ wheel. I would check that out before spending money on a new fork.

I put a Suntour Epicon onto my old commuter bike (straight steerer, 9 mm QR). It works fine for a fairly cheap XC fork.

ross980
    Free Member

I put 140mm Fox forks on my old FSR 120 Stumpjumper. Made it loads better down hill… But awful on really steep 1st gear climbs as the front end became very light. Maybe get something bigger that you can wind down for long climbs?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Stumpjumer FSR 120 fork options’ is closed to new replies.