Stuff you like: a Feel-Good photo thread

• This topic has 22 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by  DezB.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Stuff you like: a Feel-Good photo thread
  • Premier Icon SaxonRider
    Subscriber

This is to be a photo thread with a purpose: to bring a little light to everyone’s life.

Starting immediately, as you go about your daily lives, take a picture (or two or three) of the stuff you notice that you like or that makes you happy. Try to make them spontaneous (i.e. don’t feel the need to deliberately go out to get that award-winning shot you’ve been thinking about for the last six months.)

Even include attractive people if you want. Just don’t post anything inappropriate/disrespectful (obviously).

Post as many times as you want, but it would be good if you limited each post to two or three photos. That way, I figure, it will force us to really reflect on what it is we’re posting.

I’ll start.

As an admirer of colour in everyday life, I present the colours of Cardiff (taken over the last couple of weeks)…

Algae on the pond
    Algae

Favourite door
    Door

Canton houses
    Houses

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

Happy to play. That’s pretty much how my photography works anyway.

Premier Icon SaxonRider
    Subscriber

Thanks for adding your pics, @colournoise.

One request though:

Could you add at least a vague statement of context? Like where you took them, or what the circumstances were, or even just why you like them?

And remember folks: it’s all about the subject in this thread! 🙂

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

Kind of goes against my philosophy (sorry – I have a Fine Art degree) but for the sake of wanting to join in…

top – cute little weeds on a verge
    middle – garish faded grandeur in a garish faded seaside town
    bottom – simple pleasures

Premier Icon garage-dweller
    Subscriber

How the heck do you post photos on here? All mine are in Google photos, no fancy pants photo hosting…do I need something different? Taken a couple recently I’d happily contribute but after 10 years+ on here no idea how.

Subscriber

Bother thought I’d cracked it but no….

Premier Icon SaxonRider
    Subscriber

All mine are in Google photos, no fancy pants photo hosting…do I need something different?

I tried Google, but it doesn’t work on here. I switched to Imgur. I don’t like it, but it works.

Subscriber

Thanks SaxonRider. Got some time to fiddle around on the train tomorrow so will look at that and Flickr been meaning to sort something more shareable for a while.

PJay

We lost our beloved puss cat some months back (lots of support from here) but have since adopted two lovely young ladies who make us very happy:-

A pic from a few days ago. My dog deciding whether she needs some shade or to chase the ball again. I realise it’s anthropomorphic but she looked so happy.
    [url=https://treetop100babynames.com/exotic-baby-names-boys]unusual black boy names[/url]

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

I tried Google, but it doesn’t work on here

Google does work, but its a slight faffy workaround. I’ll give instructions if anybody wants em.

Taking the traffic-free route home puts me in a good mood after work (only used the MTB once, its faster on the Tripster 🙂 )

nealglover

A four year old having the time of his life on his bike in the mountains 👍

Premier Icon Tracey
    Subscriber

Can’t help but feel good when the dogs about. She always seems happy.

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gtr9i8]IMG_20190707_092223[/url] by hutchinson2017, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gzTkaM]20120117-DSC00203[/url] by hutchinson2017, on Flickr

PJay

I realise it’s anthropomorphic but she looked so happy.

I don’t want to divert the thread, but there’s a pretty good chance she was. I doubt that we’ll ever be able to ‘prove’ what animals feel (and there’s huge vested interest in suggesting that they’re nothing but hardwired automatons) but, as I understand it, research does show that many animals do seem to have emotions (there was a dancing bird doing the rounds on social media recently which was subjected to scientific research and the conclusion reached that it was doing it purely for the enjoyment).

And back on track, since bikes are appearing, mine makes me happy too:

eddiebaby

Just had a happy 2-3 minutes that should have a photo but I couldn’t tear myself away from the action. I was peering out of the studio window down at the garden and 12-16 Red Kites were constantly dive bombing the garden after a co resident had brought home a whole pile of shredded chicken from his hotel job.
    The peak was when half a dozen landed and started sifting through the chicken to find the best bits.
    You’ll have to imagine it I’m afraid. It was very good.
    I feel sop happy I’m going to bugger off for a ride.

tinribz

Tried to take a photo of a massive dragonfly hovering over these, but it was too quick.

lillys

This is the same spot a few weeks ago.

lilly1

This guy put-putting along had me a bit jealous this aft:

boat

Premier Icon SaxonRider
    Subscriber

It had gone quiet in my little guys’ bedroom last night, so I snuck upstairs to see what was going on.

Boy with book

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

The sky is blown out because my phone camera is crap but,

Making a splash at Ullswater:

Premier Icon Pyro
    Subscriber

Trying to add something to this, but for general context: I’ve just been out in Jersey for a week. It’s the first time I’ve taken a proper ‘holiday’ in a while: most of my annual leave is spent working on events, so while it took me over half of the holiday to wind down and relax a bit, taking some different pics of just ‘things’ rather than people, bikes, kayaks etc was a nice way to try and slow things down and force myself to remember photographic basics.

I liked the incongruousness of a large bouy being used to anchor an SUP. I’m assuming the owner had paddled out to a bigger boat and just left the SUP there for convenience.

I’d only taken my ‘travel’ camera (Fuji X-T10 with an 18-135mm lens) so not the fastest to focus or longest zoom, but while we were walking one of the clifftop paths this (I assume) Kestrel was hovering, so I tried to get a few shots. Most didn’t work – focus didn’t lock properly, the bird moved too fast, the exposure didn’t work out – but one or two were okay. This was one of the okay ones.

I don’t know why I like this one. It’s okay as compositions go, the colour contrast is quite nice, the lone seagull gives a whimsicality maybe, I don’t know. But I like it. That’ll do for me.

This isn’t a photo, it’s a webcam near where I’ll be moving to ina couple of months (just where the road on the left disappears round the corner). Obviously only worth looking at when the sun’s up
    Clicky

Premier Icon keithd
    Subscriber

nealglover-that is a fantastic shot! cheers me up no end!

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

It’s a video, not a photo, so I’ll just link my thread for Chat people don’t go Bike place
    But, by jove, this made me feel good.

Ah, it’s just a superb video 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.