Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • stuff to do in london…
  • debaser

I’m sitting on a kings cross bound train using my free fifteen minutes of the bloody awful WiFi service.

Have a couple of days in London before a wedding on Saturday. I know there is a lifetimes worth of stuff to do in the city but do you have any interesting suggestions?

Where’s the best place for curry goat?
    Is it possible to bunny hop a Boris bike?

Open to all any any suggestions for food, drink, galleries, architecture, music, bike shops, walks, record shops… pretty much anything you think is worth a look.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Goat Curry? Go to Trini’s

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oooh! Ooh!

(Gets too excited. Explodes)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

National, Tate, Tate Britain – Galleries
    V&A, Science, Natural History, British and Wallace – Museums
    Pubs? Too many to mention, but be sure to try Cask, one of my locals. Best beer list of any pub I have ever seen.
    Bike shops – Cycle Surgery Holborn or Spitalfields well worth a look (Bling Santa Cruz Peaty edition in stock in the Strype St branch!), Condor for roadpron, Tokyo Fixed for fixiewank, and Brixton for all round nice folk! Moose in Tooting is ace as well.
    Etc, etc….!

yossarian
    Free Member

Go to Southend instead, more classy.

alexpalacefan

you can indeed bunny hop a boris bike, just not well.

For a great view, go up The Monument, just north of London Bridge.

Don’t let the locals lack of manners wind you up too much.

APF

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Don’t let the locals lack of manners wind you up too much.

Assuming you were joking, ha ha, very funny….If you weren’t… 👿

alexpalacefan

Flash, I’m a Londoner myself, and had to get out.

Every time I go back now the self-centred and inconsiderate swine I’m surrounded by never fail to infuriate me.

APF

nedrapier

Go see this at the Soho Theatre on Dean St:

http://www.sohotheatre.com/pl2165.html

Brilliant.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

There are inconsiderate and selfish people everywhere. London doesn’t have the monopoly on those. It’s just that there are loads more people in London than anywhere else, so you may well meet more inconsiderate ones.

But if you open your mind a bit, relax and go with the flow, you’ll probbly meet loads of nice folk too. Like me. 🙂

Mind you, if you will insist on following Palace…. 😉

heywayne
    Free Member

Been recommended by a good friend of mine that The Mango Room is the place to go for curry goat. His father (Monseratian) won’t eat it anywhere else – apart from home cooked of course.

debaser

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

Now in the big city and staring slack jawed at the muckle buildings like a country yokel 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What part of town are you staying in?

akira

Come and clean my car, it’s f-ing filthy.

deluded
    Free Member

+1 for Soho – a must.

Loads of decent ways to pass time – theatres, bars, restaurants, great live music scenes.

I lived on Broadwick Street for three years – a fantastic place. Very fond memories.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Stroll around Camden.

Kevevs
    Free Member

get pissed and talk loads of loblocks with Elfin in a nice pub. sorted 😀

Nick

Gordon’s Wine Bar on Villiers St

Sue_W
    Free Member

Kev – good suggestion, worked for me!

(although Elf talked loblocks … I, as usual, was erudite, witty and insightful … at least that was how it appeared to me after a pint or two …)

Think that London’s alright now, it’s just not as good as north Wales 🙂

Kevevs
    Free Member

Think that London’s alright now, it’s just not as good as north Wales

*sucks in air through teeth* ooh you’re asking for trouble!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Tate Modern/south bank/millenium wheel/that festival that might still be going on at the NT

Cougar

I was down there earlier this week. After buying a bottle of beer, a 50ml bottle of water and a tiny packet of peanuts and being charged £8, I’d suggest the best thing to do is leave as quickly as possible.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Jump on a tube and go to Tooting and have a cheap and excellent meal here http://www.mirchmasalarestaurant.co.uk/menucard.htm.

For Lunch go to Culture Grub on The Cut at Waterloo excellent chinese food & well priced.

London is full of great places most of which are outside the centre.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cougar – Member
    I was down there earlier this week. After buying a bottle of beer, a 50ml bottle of water and a tiny packet of peanuts and being charged £8, I’d suggest the best thing to do is leave as quickly as possible. that I jsut got ripped off, as I could have been ripped off anywhere, but I’m just going to bleat on about how nasty London is, rather than acknowledging that I was a bit of a numpty and got ripped off.

😉

joao3v16
    Free Member

every time I have had the misfortune to find myself there, I have found the most fun to be had in london is LEAVING

😈

joao3v16
    Free Member

There are inconsiderate and selfish people everywhere. London doesn’t have the monopoly on those

Yes. Yes it does.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you think London is expensive try Switzerland. We went there last weekend to visit someone. Stopped a service station (which was the nicest I’ve ever been to btw) – two sandwiches, small fruit bowl, tiny yoghurt and some drinks – 37 euros 😯

BTW re rude Londoners – I was fully expecting to find London full of rude people when I went there to work, having been told of this stereotype all my life, but I really didn’t find any more rude people than anywhere else. Seemed perfectly normal, just a little busier and more focused. Everyone was nice to me.

mcboo
    Free Member

Go have a stroll around the refurbed Spitalfields Market and then over to Truman Brewery and Brick Lane. Funky shops, pretty girls, Rough Trade East record shop….just don’t have a curry on Brick Lane and try please not to slap one of the many hipster idiots.

I love London……Unfriendly? I REALLY dont need impromptu conversation with chirpy northerners fanks…..

mcboo
    Free Member

Dont miss Friday at Borough Market. Get off the train at London Bridge, go stare up at the MAHOOSIVE Shard, go mooch around the market, eat something nice, then walk all the way down the South Bank on the Thames. Just loads of stuff going on.

Cougar

I jsut got ripped off, as I could have been ripped off anywhere, etc

The beer (£4.50) was in a hotel in Central London and and the water and peanuts (£3.50) were in another hotel on the outskirts, so yeah, it’s never going to be pound-a-pint happy hour in those places.

Point is though, in London the wages are higher and the prices are higher, so the net result is that as a tourist from the rest of the UK you might as well put up signs saying “Welcome to London. Brace yourself, it’s going in dry.”

That said, I do quite like London as a place to visit. Lots of interesting stuff to see, and whilst it’s got more than its fair share of ignoramuses, there’s plenty of friendly types too. I like what Molgrips said about it being “focused,” that’s a good word for it.

nedrapier

There is always the Chandos, central as you like, just off Trafalgar Square, 4 pints and change from a tenner.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Point is though, in London the wages are higher and the prices are higher, so the net result is that as a tourist from the rest of the UK you might as well put up signs saying “Welcome to London. Brace yourself, it’s going in dry.”

Ok, right…. That’ll be why it costs more or less the same for most stuffs everywhere else in Britain I’ve bin to. Transport’s a bit dear here, granted, and eating out can be a bit pricey, but then it would be in a major globally important city. Ever eaten out in Paris?

it’s got more than its fair share of ignoramuses

Only when people like you come here.

As for ‘miserable’, the only people I encounter here like that are those types who constantly moan and whine about how much better it is wherever they’re from. Bugger off back there then. Don’t come here if it’s so terrible. Change to a job that doesn’t make you come to London. Tell your kids they can’t come and see the Nat Hist, Science and British Museums, they can’t come and go on the London Eye, or visit the Tower, or go on a Duck Tour, or buy trendy clothes and skate stuff from Caymden Market. Etc. Etc. Etc….

Actually, yes, please do stay way. Means I can enjoy it more without grumpy moaners droning on about crap.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

get pissed and talk loads of loblocks with Elfin in a nice pub. sorted

This is actually sound advice. Observe testimony:

Kev – good suggestion, worked for me!

🙂

I love showing folk around my home village. I get a right buzz out of it. I bloody love the place, me. Flashy knows what I’m talking about.

joolsburger
    Free Member

London is not unfriendly but there are 6 million of us if we all said hello to strangers we’d go mental.

Hotel bars are always steep.

There are literally thousands of good value places to eat, drink and be merry.

I regularly have meetings between Waterloo and the city and often find myself in the Tate thinking, there are not too many places in this world where I can view a Picasso on my way to lunch.

London is, I think, the greatest of all the great cities. The millions upon millions of tourists seem to agree.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

London is, I think, the greatest of all the great cities.

Jools; there is a pint (of London brewed beer of course) with your name on it waiting for you any time you wish to come and claim it. 😀

there are not too many places in this world where I can view a Picasso on my way to lunch

Love it. See, what many people don’t get, is you know that feeling folk get when they’re out in the countryside see a lovely view and think ‘wow’?

I get that here in London. I never fail to be amazed and awestruck by the place, cos it is truly incredible.

And anyone what argues with me is wrong and a wally.

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

for the best view of central london what you need to do is head out at night when it’s a little quieter walk along any part of the thames cross any bridge and take in the site of london from the bridge. Now that is breath taking at night and NO other city in the world can even compare to that view.

ericemel
    Free Member

If you are a foodie – Borough market is a must!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Also Camden on a Sunday morning is well worth a visit. mmmmmmmmmchinese food.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

there is a pint (of London brewed beer of course)

Sam Brooks Wandle FTW! 🙂

bikebore
    Free Member

Steal a Boris bike. Get the training to Dorking. Go ride Barry Knows Best. Simples…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘stuff to do in london…’ is closed to new replies.