• This topic has 1,911 replies, 355 voices, and was last updated 4 hours ago by Cougar.
Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 1,912 total)
  • Stuff that makes you disproportionately cross
  • nickjb
    Free Member

How else would you pronounce it? Third sounds like herd/heard

Not in Ireland

💩

funkmasterp

So the poster doesn’t like Irish accents or just Irish people saying third?

This is the only way to tell the time

you’ll probably hate me for this similar thing.

at 12:34 oclock If i notice i traditionaly exclaim “its 1 2 3 4 oclock”

slowoldman

How about 11:11 is “ones”?

doomanic

My new USB-C to HDMI converter. It works when first plugged in but if the Mac goes to sleep after waking it up the TV reports no signal but the mouse behaves like there are two screens. At this point restarting the Mac doesn’t make any difference.

nickewen
    Free Member

The rewind function on streaming apps on sky, Xbox, etc. (I’m looking at you Prime) that won’t let you rewind at anything less than what feels like 100x speed. Have to tap the button for a fraction of a second then immediately hit play and it still goes back a good minute or so. FFS 🤦‍♂️

I can’t be the only one am I? If anyone has a suggestion for this I’d be more than happy to admit user error!

Cougar

I’d have to check, but I think on the Xbox at least, different buttons might do different things? It’s been a while since I used Prime, I’ll have a look later.

jeffl

Think Netflix lets you skip back 10 seconds which is great.

jamesoz

Things that take normal batteries, such as TV remotes. Why not just make them rechargeable?
    Would save me rummaging around in the ‘draw of chaos’ looking for a couple of AAA batteries, failing, then having to use the almost invisible buttons on the TV to change AV input. Looking at you LG.
    I’m aware you can buy separate rechargeable batteries but it’s just one more unnecessary thing.

jamesoz

Also

Any packaging I need tools to open.

Any household electronics I need a manual to operate.
    That’s a failure in design as far as I’m concerned.
    I had a Denon hifi which I had to keep the manual next to it to set the clock, every time the power went off for a split second. If left it would flash annoyingly forever.
    A. Fit a capacitor to preserve the setting you tight bastards
    B. Wtf does a hifi need a clock for?
    C. Why make it flash?
    D. Why make it so hard to set the clock?

Cougar

Things that take normal batteries, such as TV remotes. Why not just make them rechargeable?

Why not just buy rechargeable batteries?

Would save me rummaging around in the ‘draw of chaos’

And swerving back on topic,

IT’S A ****ING DRAWER! WHY IS THIS SUCH A DIFFICULT WORD?! AAAARRRGHGHGTHGH!!11!ELEVEN!!

tthew

A. Fit a capacitor to preserve the setting you tight bastards

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>B. Wtf does a hifi need a clock for</span>

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>C. Why make it flash</span>

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>D. Why make it so hard to set the clock</span>

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Surely this is a job for a tidy strip of black insulation tape?</span>

xora

The rewind function on streaming apps on sky, Xbox, etc. (I’m looking at you Prime) that won’t let you rewind at anything less than what feels like 100x speed.

This used to drive me mad on the AppleTV until I realised I could ask Siri nicely for a precise rewind 😀

What drive me insane is Workday, this is a multi billion dollar company that sells software that looks (and works) like it was written by a drunk intern back in the 90s.

matt_outandabout

Shitty AirBnB hosts who mis-represent where the house is, and consider filthy, cigarette ash and doghair everywhere as acceptable. Arsehole.

Not the way to end a holiday.

jamesoz

IT’S A ****ING DRAWER! WHY IS THIS SUCH A DIFFICULT WORD?! AAAARRRGHGHGTHGH!!11!ELEVEN

Because I struggle with these things .

I often read and re read to see if I’ve dropped any howlers. Much more obvious on WhatsApp as I can’t edit it.

Actually no worse than I often see on news items (not on Singletrack), which are written by people paid to do so.

tomhoward

Negotiating a sale of a bike, arranging a time & place to meet, and then, on the day of collection the **** ghosts me.

Guess what I’ve been up to this aft…

Mister-P
    Free Member

Actually no worse than I often see on news items (not on Singletrack), which are written by people paid to do so.

The amount of “professional” journos who don’t know the difference between it’s and its is shocking. Even STW does not escape this.

Cougar

As I said: disproportionately cross. I think mostly it irritates me because it’s so common. It’s not even like they sound the same.

… Wait. Are “draw” and “drawer” homophones in some accents?

RustySpanner

Er, yeah…..
    ……I pronouce them the same.

Draw was also a term for weed in my youth.

*Sticks head out of upstairs window, waves at the Yonner in a Mancunian accent.*

RustySpanner

Oh, back to the OP.

1. People who don’t read manuals.
    More specifically, the type of supercilious **** who appears to take pride in the fact that they have bought a nice piece of tech and have absolutely no idea of how it works or it’s capabilities.

2. People who post on HiFi threads who have obviously never, ever used their ears.

3. People who own a nice BBQ but are incapable of cooking anything properly.

4. Tories who keep telling me that they had no idea BJ was a mendacious, priapic alcoholic with the morals of Jeffrey Archer.

akira

People who have an accent when they wave.

akira

Okay a real one, stems that have 4mm face plate bolts but 5mm steerer bolts. Just pick one.

Cougar

People who have an accent when they wave.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Would save me rummaging around in the ‘draw of chaos’

IT’S A ****ING DRAWER! WHY IS THIS SUCH A DIFFICULT WORD?! AAAARRRGHGHGTHGH!!11!ELEVEN!!

Maybe it’s more like a tombola?

matt_outandabout

Okay a real one, stems that have 4mm face plate bolts but 5mm steerer bolts. Just pick one.

Or take my Marin. Which came needing three different BB tools – different sized rotor mounts and a different BB.

kayak23

The frequency of which Loyle Carner goes ‘oouurrgh’ in his music…

Not sure how to spell it but it’s the first thing he says in this song, and then it’s about every 4 seconds.
    It’s not ‘ugh’ or even ‘ugghhhh’, it’s more ‘ooheuurggh’ and it’s entirely unnecessary and sounds ridiculous.
    Just stop it.

convert

‘XXXXXXtrackworld’ thread titles.

Never open them.

People who say thank you at Zebra Crossing. I’m legally require stop. Conversely drivers who get arsey because people don’t say thank you.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Being ill when you aren’t expected at work (currently missing out on sunny but not too warm weather, perfect for nice long rides). 🙁

peekay

‘XXXXXXtrackworld’ thread titles.

Never open them.

XXXXXX-erists Assemble thread titles.

kayak23

Americans saying ‘Urbs’.

MSP

Drivers (who I assume are also cyclists at other times) who don’t follow the normal conventions of the road to be overly compensating to cyclists, therefore causing great confusion, ie slowing down to let you out when they are the only car on the road, by the time you have worked out that was there intention they would have past and you would be 50 metres up the road anyway.

Cougar

Americans saying ‘Urbs’.

kayak23

How mushy pea tins are always smaller than most other cans.
    Wtf is that about?

RUSHER4

‘angings too good for ’em! Somebody get a rope.

matt_outandabout

Ok. I’m admitting to one.

Why. Why. Why. Are the daytime running lights on cars only* on the front?

Sooooo many people in the dark, wet and poor visibility this weekend with no rear lights on.

Surely you make the law to have both front and rear DRL’s?

*Apart from enlightened brands like Volvo.

joepud
    Free Member

Not sure how to spell it but it’s the first thing he says in this song, and then it’s about every 4 seconds.
    It’s not ‘ugh’ or even ‘ugghhhh’, it’s more ‘ooheuurggh’ and it’s entirely unnecessary and sounds ridiculous.
    Just stop it.

do you not think that this is just part of his delivery? For me its what gives his music the feeling that hes just rolling it off is brain at that moment or he’s mid conversation with someone – also give his music this super laid back feel.

kayak23

do you not think that this is just part of his delivery?

Well, I don’t think it, I know it. That’s because he doesn’t stop doing it. I think it spoils it but realise that others don’t.
    🙂👍

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Surely you make the law to have both front and rear DRL’s?

That would make a lot more sense. I guess cars like Volvo built in Scandinavian countries (where always-on lights have been law for a long time) are better thought out.

But yeah, odd why rear lights remain off 🤷‍♂️

brokenbanjo

Leaving lights on.
    Leaving dirty dishes by the dishwasher.
    Leaving clean dishes in the dishwasher.
    Leaving recycling on the work surface not in the bin below it.
    The use of the word ‘gotten’.

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 1,912 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.