Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 513 total)
  • Stuff that makes you disproportionately cross
  • joshvegas
    Free Member

It’s pervasive. I try not to be bothered by it but I struggle.

people who type contractions.

Also people who know things like this, is it’s a contraction?

seriousrikk

For reasons I cannot fully explain….

People who attach ‘No Parking’ signs to the boundary wall in front of their property. Makes me want to just go park there because I can. One local person has a driveway with room for two cars, and a garage. He still keeps a car out the front to make sure no one parks there – and if he wants to use that car he will get another one out the garage and park it there.

WHY??

jeffl

Haha in a similar vein to the above, visited the father in law over the weekend. Someone up the road consistently pops 3 comes outside his house to stop people parking there, even though he has a drive.

I did offer to move them and park there but was told not to wind up the neighbours ☹️

Don’t get me wrong we live on a Victorian street with no drive. In fact there are very few houses with drives. Does get annoying when you have to drive around to find a space, normally when getting back from the shops or late at night when the kids are tired. But it’s a public road, anyone can park their car there 🤷‍♂️

MrPottatoHead

Not sure if it’s been said by others but after a day at LEGOLAND (I know, only myself to blame) I can confirm nothing makes me more cross than queue jumpers in any shape or form. Every ride seemed to get near the front and it was all these **** people appear from nowhere to join the one family member who queued up. Or feral kids who just seem to squeeze their way to the front. Honestly feel like an absolute mug for being fair and finding queuing rules so important.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

People who tell you about palindrome dates or suchlike as though it’s actually an important thing.

“Hey, you know it 20/02/2002 today right?”
    “Oh really, that’s mildly amusing”
    “Yeah, it won’t happen again until 21/02/2012”
    “OK”
    “I mean we should DO something, man”
    “You do realise that more twenty years from now I’ll still hate you for this?”

Cougar

“Yeah, it won’t happen again until

… until the next vaguely coincidental date in about three months’ time.

joshvegas
    Free Member

People who tell you about palindrome dates or suchlike as though it’s actually an important thing.

“OK”

you’ll probably hate me for this similar thing.

at 12:34 oclock If i notice i traditionaly exclaim “its 1 2 3 4 oclock”

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

“OK”

you’ll probably hate me for this similar thing.

at 12:34 oclock If i notice i traditionaly exclaim “its 1 2 3 4 oclock”

I still always try to book dental appointments for 2:30pm just so that if asked* what time my dental appointment is I can say “I see the dentist at Tooth Hurty”.

*Also helps me remember the time

timba
    Free Member

Google apps on my phone that I’ve disabled and keep appearing. I’ve disabled it, I don’t want to use it and if I could I’d remove it altogether…and breathe

timba
    Free Member

Decrypting cycle clothing sizing; how can I be 3XL in one jersey and L in another?

MoreCashThanDash

Decrypting cycle clothing sizing; how can I be 3XL in one jersey and L in another?

A lot to be said for Fat Lad at the Back clothing – I have a 42″ chest, I’ll need a size 42 jersey.

MoreCashThanDash

Getting up in the morning and finding that your wife turned off the phone charger socket last night after you had plugged your phone in to charge overnight….🤬

timba
    Free Member

A lot to be said for Fat Lad at the Back clothing…

…and people coming up with a perfectly sensible solution to something that’s made me disproportionately cross for years! 🙂

garage-dweller

It may have been covered above and it’s certainly been hinted at…

The replacement of actual news reporting with regurgitation of opinions from the man in the street and publishing them verbatim as if they are incontrovertible fact and proper research. Closely related to this is ascribing the same editorial weight to the the opinion of an angry gammon with an uninsured 1985 V8 Range Rover to that of, say, an actual climate scientist.

People who get insanely ranty about road improvement schemes without actually reading the plans and resent anything that might possibly make the lives of those on more active and sustainable transport modes just a little better. Pointing out to them that they have not in fact read the plans correctly is met with pure unadulterated denial. Likely to be the same demographic found complaining about how dangerous the roads are round here while pointing out the location of speed cameras and how awful it is they have been “taxed” and anyway the speed limit sign is so hard to read …

Thinking that there is a simple (usually binary) lifestyle consequence free solution to the problems of the world and that any problem we don’t presently have a solution to is just a question of “science” or “industry” pulling its finger out and finding the “answer”.

seriousrikk

@garage-dweller I would say your anger is entirely legitimate rather than being disproportionate.

Especially the first, which gets worse. News reports are now including sections which start with ‘twitter user @someopinionatedtwit had says…’

Honestly, if I gave a flying turd what random people on twitter think, I’d look at twitter.

duncancallum

My family.

dero
    Free Member

[Pedant content warning] In this context Cougar is describing “a” thing. here it’s a group of objects, but in the context of the sentence structure there’s no difference to the thing being many things or a thing, grammatically it’s still just “a thing” so “is” is correct. [/Pedant content warning]

It’s a further point about the plurality of bottles, ie, “And there is” (four bottles). Therefore if the previous “there’s” should be “there are”, “And there is” should be “And there are”

Anyways, notwithstanding I’ve just done it, people like us writing stuff like this on forums make me disproportionately cross!

My lesson for today is to try much harder to focus on the message. I understood exactly what Cougar wrote so no need for me to nitpick about grammar, spoken or written. My wife and daughter would at least welcome the lack of chuntering from me 🙂 And I might get to become a slightly more relaxed and nicer person. Win Win!

Cougar

😁

In all honesty, I appreciate learning things.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

People saying “drawring” instead of “drawing”

Drives me nuts. There is no “r” in the middle of the word.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Companies that still insist on using phone calls as a method of doing business in 2022. Estate agents I’m looking at you, but it’s mainly scumbag marketing companies and so you can have your phone on silent knowing that anyone who insists on calling repeatedly is not to be trusted.

See a business premises on an estate agents website.  Click the ‘request more information’ button. Fill out form to answer the simple question ‘is parking available? Yes/No?’. Give email address, phone number is ‘required’ of course.

Then receive over a week counting of missed calls from the estate agents. Plus multiple emails saying ‘we tried to call’. Reply to email saying ‘just answer the **** question here: Is parking available? Yes/No? I don’t want to chat on the phone! It’s not 1984!

What is this all about? Do they only get paid for being on the phone or something/ It’s such an outdated and inefficient method of doing business these days. Fair enough for personal issues, chatting to relatives etc. But why should one take time out from what one’s doing, stop the car, climb down off some ladders etc in order to strain to hear what’s being said down a bad line with no method of referring back to the conversation.

Grrrr….

Cougar

Companies that still insist on using phone calls as a method of doing business in 2022. Estate agents I’m looking at you

Companies that still insist on stuffing bits of paper in envelopes as a method of doing business in 2022. You can email me, get a near instant response, and we both have a full audit trail; or you can post it, spend money, waste trees and have a three-day turnaround. It’s utterly braindead. They’re going to shit themselves when they hear about these new-fangled fax machines.

Most recently, I set up a new direct debit for car insurance and they got confused and put my account details but my partner’s name. I rang them to correct it. Just two short hours and 12 minutes later it was answered, I spoke to a lovely woman who told me that she couldn’t put my name on the mandate (because, what, I might be fraudulently paying for something from my own account? 🤷‍♂️) and that I’d have to complete a new one. Fine, whatever, email it over. “Oh, we don’t have the facility to do that, we’ll post it out.” Really? OK, give me a return email, I’ll scan it and send it. No, it has to be returned by post. WTF? What should be a 30-second job took days and two and a half hours of my life.

garage-dweller

Companies that still insist on using phone calls as a method of doing business in 2022.

On the flip side companies that only do communication through social media / email web chat and steadfastly refuse to have a phone number and someone who is not utterly clueless on the end of it. It is a regulatory requirement in my job to offer email, post and phone and to deal with all of those competently and in a timely manner.

funkmasterp

Ignore

jambourgie
    Free Member

Huh, really. So it is me then. I remember airing this view on another forum regarding conducting business over the phone and got the same response. Fair enough, it’s me. Stopping everything you’re doing, turning off your music, then waiting on hold for forty-five minutes listening to 8kbps Vivaldi, to then strain to make out over VOIP to some distant Indian call-centre, and then having no idea what, if anything was the answer to your question because you’re not constantly sat at a desk with a pen and paper to hand Is better than coming home to an email answering your question.

theotherjonv

using the phone to do business isn’t the problem, it’s misusing it.

Conversely, my wife and daughter’s refusal to use the phone when it’s the right tool for the job.

Exhibit 1; They know I leave work around 6, half past. I’ll frequently get a text about that time – can you get some milk / bread / whatever on the way in. I arrive home, switch off car, pick up phone and then find a text. If I’ve seen it I’ll text back – OK. If they haven’t had an answer, I haven’t seen it. So don’t act all twatty when I haven’t get the bread (inevitably it’s me that has to go out again anyway!!)

Exhibit 2: My daughter has a complex relationship with some of her friends, one in particular. Like all teenage girls, there’s times when they’re just shitty to each other. She works Friday evenings, and often changes after work to meet her friends in town. Yet they organise by text or whatsapp, with her getting a series or slightly ambiguous messages, often with big gaps between.

eg: where are we meeting

Assembly Rooms. We’re already there.

OK

But we’ll be moving soon.

OK, when?

(big gap)

Don’t know

OK so should I come there?

Don’t know

….just FFS pick up the phone and sort it out!!!!

Cougar

So it is me then.

Well, no, I despise phones at the best of times, let alone in that sort of environment. “Your call is important to us…” well, you could consider employing sufficient staff to answer the bastard, then.

But, I don’t think that’s a disproportionate reaction.

singletrackmind

Cleaning companies who make all manner of squirty, foamy cleaning solutions for car and home in a trigger spray bottle.

That then fails approx 60% through the contents of said bottle. I know its more single use plastic, but make it man enough and i will re use it on the next foamy spray.. Kills all germs dead
    And dont get me started on that grammatical error. Its hardly going to kill it back to life.
    I know some chemicals are corrosive amd seals fail but so quickly, really.
    Come on chaps, sort it out.

jambourgie
    Free Member

using the phone to do business isn’t the problem, it’s misusing it.

Indeed.

If I meet a mate down the nuclear sub, I’ll generally ring them if I can’t see where they are. I don’t stand at the bar composing an email to ask if they are there yet.

Cougar

That then fails approx 60% through the contents of said bottle.

… then the cheeky bastards have the nerve to sell refills.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Plastic knives and forks that lack the armour piercing power to get through a gravy saturated chip without shattering into a million tiny choking hazards

kayak23

Matt Bellamy out of Muse.
    Or more specifically, Matt Bellamy’s overly audible inward breath.
    Just do it in your own time yeah?
    Otherwise ok 👍

jezzep

Morning,

Have we done packaging that isn’t recyclable or reusable in anyway ;-(

JeZ

mjsmke

Protesters blocking roads. Go and do it at the houses of parliament instead.

Cougar

They can’t any more. The government changed the law so that they could get rid of Steve Bray.

BoardinBob

People that pronounce “thirty” as “thErty”

You wouldn’t pronounce “third” as “therd”

No trial, no jury, straight to execution.

mjsmke

People that pronounce “thirty” as “thErty”

I read them as exactly the same.

kayak23

Recaps on tv shows.
    America I’m looking at you!
    😡

stripeysocks

Speaking of flying turds :-
    Bagged up dog poo hurled to an inaccessible place in the hedgerow.
    FFS just drop it neatly at the side of the path so that the dog shit fairy can take it away (I think my best “score” was well over 10 bags in one walk, on a path where clearly no other Dog Poo Fairy had passed for a week or two).

The beauty of the countryside can be the sole nice thing in some people’s day, it’s just so egregiously thoughtless to leave these decaying monstrosities in everyone’s sight but nobody’s reach.

Also, people who don’t bother to read the last 12 pages of the thread to find that their gripe was covered in detail 5 pages ago…;)

lunge

“We’re experiencing an unexpectedly high volume of calls at the moment”.
    No you’re not, and if you are you have been for 4 years. Either way, hire some more staff. This is not difficult.

A current gripe is a chain of e-mails from a well known running shoe manufacturer saying that I’d got something in my basket and giving me a discount code to incentivise me to buy the shoes. Sadly said code doesn’t work with the shoes in the basket…

funkmasterp

How else would you pronounce it? Third sounds like herd/heard 🤔

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 513 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.