Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Stuff that exceeds expectations.
  • Gunz
    Free Member

A Peugeot 205 diesel that I paid £100 for

Indestructible

Mine cost £400 four years ago and has done 60k miles (Portsmouth to Plymouth every weekend until recently, now 250 miles commuting per week) and it just keeps on going. This is despite being used as my main wood lugging vehicle over long distances.

winston
    Free Member

Lidl long sleeve mtb specific top – when they were branded Movement. can’t remember how much but less than a tenner and still looks as good as new after being worn hundreds of times over at least ten years. I’ve had tops costing £75 that haven’t washed as well

Everything I’ve bought from Montane although to be fair my expectations have risen with each purchase so its becoming difficult to exceed them now!

slowoldman

Karrimor KMM (Mountain Marathon) sac. Donkeys years old, been abused on walks, climbs, fell runs, bike rides. Refuses to die.

Oh and plain bounty of course.

mrblobby
    Free Member

An old 2006 Trek 1200 SL road bike I brought from a mate for a couple of hundred quid. I think only the frame is the same now but it does sterling service as my winter trainer.

Also a Panasonic bread maker. Mrs blobby wanted one but I thought we’d use it a couple of times and it’s be forgotten about, but now use it all the time and make some lovely breads (a 50/50 rye and white is current favourite) and doughs.

Northwind

mrblobby – Member

Also a Panasonic bread maker. Mrs blobby wanted one but I thought we’d use it a couple of times and it’s be forgotten about, but now use it all the time and make some lovely breads (a 50/50 rye and white is current favourite) and doughs.

I’ve got a Kenwood one, it’s in a state of absolute collapse but it never quite fails- obviously was built for exactly the “use it twice” market but I’ve used it every second day for about 3 years now. I really want to buy a new one but I can’t reward such bravery with betrayal.

edhornby

Aldi New Zealand Pinot Noir – it’s as good as a lot of burgundies 5x the price

Kona Ute – I thought I would use it twice a week to take the kids to nursery and maybe the odd trip to a supermarket to justify its purchase; oh no, I’ve commuted on it every day since I got it, I’ve had a variety of stuff in the bags (shopping, recycled veg packing crates as kindling for the wood burner*) and I totally understand why the bloke who sold it to me is sad to have let it go. a lot quicker and more nimble than I expected.

*possibly the most STW niche activity I have ever written about here

Albanach
    Free Member

Same here. Great bit of kit.

Got a Braun Trizone Electric Toothbrush for Christmas- I was a sceptic but it is like going to the dentist.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Various Chinese mtb, neoprene, full finger gloves for less than a fiver from flea bay that never seem to wear out?

julianwilson
    Free Member

The ‘original’ (haven’t they already updated it three times?) mucky nutz fender bender.
    Fox antifreeze gloves.
    Specialized defroster boots.
    On-one merino armwarmers if you only paid a fiver for them.
    On-one smorgasbords, even the single compound wire ones.
    New slx brakes.

Kenn ward (old folks acute medicine at Royal Devon And Exeter)
    Sparks (the band)
    Oh and Lidl in general.

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

+1 Montane featherlite smock
    +1 On One smorgasbord – does what it says on the label (mind you, does squirm a lot in really slimy mud)
    Scarves in general – who’d have thought they could make such a difference
    £50 light from bright bike lights.
    Hope customer service (as always)

Tracey

Specialized pedals, now 10 years old and still running without any servicing. Bought another pair in 2010 for just in case, they are still in the box.

carlphillips
    Free Member

Ultimate bike spray. Awesome.
    Gopro mount for my helmet light.
    New 888’s

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Some Clarks shoes I bought for £15 in the sale. I usually wear Grensons or Loakes with welted soles but they can feel clumpy when driving. Saw these Clarkes and 6 months on wish I had bought more pairs.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Narrow-wide chain rings.

I was very sceptical about running a single-ring bike with no chainguide in the Alps, but I haven’t dropped a chain since I fitted one (Hope Retainer Ring).

molgrips
    Free Member

Halfords, lately. For bike stuff.

brooess
    Free Member

STW joke and pun threads 🙂

JulianA
    Free Member

LoveHoney’s delivery times.

Northwind

JulianA – Member

Came in seconds?

JulianA
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    JulianA – Member

Came in seconds?

Very good!

Kunstler

teasel – Member
    At present; life

Yes. Mine not yours, though I’m sure yours is good too. That and very much related to it – my fitness/capacity for endurance. Four years ago I never could have thought for an instant that things would get to where they are now.

On a more mundane level, the cheap padded jacket I bought from Millets for the winter. Worn every day and not been cold in it at all, despite what this winter is throwing at me. If someone made one that could be regulated for letting heat out when biking uphill, it would be perfect.

alanw2007

7800 Dura Ace.
    I know it’s supposed to be good, but mine has covered 40,000 km which must be half a million shifts at least, and it’s still perfect. I am awestruck.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Rab down jacket purchased about 22 years ago, down still has its loft and pertex outer doesn’t look aged or worn.
    Have just treated myself to a Canada goose parka though so I’m hoping to get 20 years out of that too.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Stuff that exceeds expectations.’ is closed to new replies.