Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Stuff that exceeds expectations.
  • twinw4ll
    Free Member

Bought some shoes a couple of years ago from M&S, embossed on the side was the word waterproof, my plan was to take them back as soon as i had a wet sock while wearing them. I have worn them every day to walk the dog through hundreds of puddles, have never cleaned them and to this day they have never let a drop of water in. Bloody amazing. 😀

binners

falkirk-mark

I have had half a dozen french cars in the last 20 years and never really had any problems with them which flies in the face of most of the things you would read on here.

jools182
    Free Member

A Peugeot 205 diesel that I paid £100 for

Indestructible

joolsburger
    Free Member

Mould Spray.

I live such an exciting life.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

My mini chopper.

molgrips
    Free Member

My El Mar. Bought and set up to cover road and jeep track/fire road miles, turns out to be great at that but also to handle absolutely superbly in the technical stuff.

bearnecessities

I once volunteered for a home that provided support to men from Haiti, that suffered in verbally abusive relationships. If I ever met them in the street with my GF at the time though, she would mock them to their face.

Well one day once of them gave her a right mouthful in reply, she was completely stunned and never did it again.

That ex heeded my next pecked hations.

(I am so, so sorry)

bones
    Free Member

Montane featherlite smock.
    Buff.
    Sierra Nevada pale ale.
    Highland Park.

wwaswas

My mini chopper.

See, it’s what you do with it that counts.

dknwhy

Google Inbox and Now. Thought it would be a bit gimmicky but it’s actually really handy “pinning” emails and having reminders within Inbox and then Google Now to plan journeys etc…

kraftyone
    Free Member

You should be ashamed (although I admit, I let out a little chuckle) 🙂

bearnecessities – Member
    I once volunteered for a home that provided support to men from Haiti, that suffered in verbally abusive relationships. If I ever met them in the street with my GF at the time though, she would mock them to their face.

Well one day once of them gave her a right mouthful in reply, she was completely stunned and never did it again.

(I am so, so sorry)

ElShalimo

Keela clothing – cheap, functional & robust
    Merlin hand built wheels

oh and Catherine Ryan – 1986 😀

stumpy01

XMI X-Mini Max II speakers. Wires are a bit old hat I guess now, with all the Bluetooth speakers. But these were dead cheap, put out a decent sound, battery lasts ages (not having to Bluetooth, I suppose) and have proven pretty durable.

My car, Seat Ibiza 1.9 TDi – paid £7500 for it in 2006 and have put 228,000 miles on it since then. Nothing major has gone pop or bang; still on original clutch & DMF, exhaust, turbo, injectors. It’s only just had it’s third set of front discs and pads put on and the battery was only replaced last year at 10 years old. 55mpg is an easy target, with low 60’s achievable through the summer months. Aiming to keep it until at least 300k miles and then see how it’s faring.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve got a very basic 65 litre rucksack by Gelert that I bought for £30 for a short trip back in 2008 when I lost my usual one.

I’ve now got a cupboard full of comparatively expensive bags and rucksacks (bloody loads of them!), yet the Gelert is still one of the most comfortable and with the exception of one buckle there isn’t a bit of damage. It’s been half way round the world and is packed full of kit every other weekend.

Considering I practically throw money at outdoor companies for shiny new kit, the fact I still use the bag rather than buy a replacement is incredible!

nickc

Bought some shoes a couple of years ago from M&S

you you get a complementary pair of slacks?

one from me is Innov8 off road trainers, made a massive difference running in winter offroad.

trail_rat
    Free Member

+1 for french motors.

had a couple – will continue to have more.

my old frontera exceeded my expectations too – got laughed at when i bought it for being a hairdressers faux by faux …. turned out to be a decent recovery vehicle when the laughing folk were stuck 😀 – got that in exchange for a golf with a badly warped cylinder head after waterpump failure.

my steel on one 456 – bought it as a cheap used long travel go to france bike to flog on when i came back – 3 years later i still use it for fun riding and big days on technical trails where the rigid SS is out of depth.

DezB
    Free Member

I bought a cheap thermal top from Bad Boy (fight gear!) in the sales – £10 it was. For the commute, so didn’t matter what it looked like. But it’s fab, strategic venting so don’t get too hot, really comfortable and fits like its made for cycling (long arms, dropped tail). Love it
    http://www.badboy-uk.com/clearance/bad-boy-thermal-half-zip-top-blue.html

caspian
    Free Member

(I am so, so sorry)

Thanks. I am now crying

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Plain Bounties.

alpin
    Free Member

my libido

edit: sorry, just read title properly…..

badnewz
    Free Member

Shish kebab from a good Turkish kebab shop – for just £4.50 at my port of call.

matt_outandabout

Tunnocks. Anything by Tunnocks.
    2003 Toyota Yaris.
    17′ Novacraft Prospectors.
    King of Shaves kinesium oil.
    OS Maps.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Sennheiser HD 201s, bought as a christmas present, not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but much better than there £20.00 asking price would suggest.

Cougar

(I am so, so sorry)

I am so, so stealing that. It’ll go nicely with the Story of Ghandi, Frog at the Bank, and Couple in a Restaurant jokes.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

+1

Best puns I’ve seen for ages

Chapeau old chap

IA

+1 on the montane featherlite, I’ve got two now!

AKG451s recommended to me on here, thought they’d be ok, but they were perfect for my needs.

My Voodoo Bokor. Bought to try 29ers on the cheap, but I love the way it handles. No original parts left now!

somafunk

Rapha merino fixed long sleeve jersey from back in 2006/2007? – one of my favourite items of clothing and i’ll be bereft when it finally dies but thankfully it shows no sign of death yet.

Apple unibody aluminium Macbook 2.4 GHz (2009) , last year i maxed out the memory to 8GB and fitted a 960 GB SSD and treated it to a new genuine battery, been everywhere with me from sweaty clubs to damp marquees, dropped on the floor, vibrated/bounced off DJ stands, used every day plugged into a 27″ monitor and loaded with all my Native Instruments music software. Never let me down once, never locked up or frozen on me. Just one of those bits of kit that may seem expensive to start with but worth every penny.

teasel
    Free Member

At present; life

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

MBT (Masai Barefoot Technology)

After the break-in period (my stretching calves and wobbly balance, not the shoes) I can now stand wearing shoes for a very long time, and actually get excited about going out in them. Feets breathe a massive sigh of relief every time I pull them on. Amazing. Look weird but so did Crocs, my joints won’t let me wear regular shoes to walk in, so i have to be a laughing stock but not bitter.

701arvn
    Free Member

Hardcore History Podcast by Dan Carlin

The Blueprint for Armageddon series about the First World War encapsulates the horror, madness and pitiless logic superbly.

the best history of this period I have come across.

somafunk

701arvn : yeah ^ , his other history podcasts are well worth listening to as well, his recent common sense podcasts have also been good. Keeps me sane at work as they have westsound (local dumfries & galloway) radio station on all day/everyday so i tend to plug my earphones in and listen to podcasts/music 8 hours a day.

bigyinn
    Free Member

My Shimano cable cutters. An extravagant tool purchase in 1997,still working as new today.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Those Fox Attack t-shirts from 2012. Bought four from Alpine bikes and they’re all still perfect. Apart from the blood.

AM41’s. Every day for 2 years on the bike plus endless scree/slate scrambles in them. Only just now do they need a replacement.

Minion DHF 40a. The only appropriate word is adhesive.

tommid
    Free Member

Aldi Merino base layer, £15.99 wear it for cycling, garnening, wood chopping. Kept it’s shape and still looks good, much better than my Endura Baa Baa.

Although talking of Endura I realised the other day when slipping on my Endura thermal tights, that I have had them more than 15 years and other than a bit of freying on the straps they are still in very good condition. Same with my 15 year old bib 3/4s.

Rab Microlight vest, bough it cheap in a sale and it has been amazing, wear it every day, keeps me warm, packs small, cannot fault it. I know have a Microlight Alpine jacket, I’ll report back on its performance in a couple of years, but I am sure it will be immense.

samuri
    Free Member

I’ll second the M&S footwear.

I bought some M&S leather boots back in 2000 or thereabouts. Wore them pretty much every day at some point. I’ve just replaced the soles for the first time. Awesome boots.

But partially on theme would be my Chameleon. Utterly faultless bike. SO much fun, must be as old as the boots and still my favourite bike.

vondally
    Free Member

Cannondale Fleece Gilet with Headshock Bloke on the back bough in a sale at lesuire lakes for £8.00 in mid 90’s still going

M and S thermal leggings bought in Edinburgh as I was freezing before watching the rugby six nations

Aldi base layer simple man made wick the sweat away, slight petrochemical smell

Frank Turner…really surpassed my expectations

BillMC

Oakham Citra ale. Blimey, that made me sit down and think.

scaredypants

Yo Dez – do those shirts come pre-inflated

I could do with looking rrrrriiiped

onehundredthidiot

Bought a light “protective” wind proof jacket about 8 years ago, cost £18. Still going strong. Been through a lot and shows the scuffle and scars of a few offs. But roadies are in awe of how beat up it is.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Stuff that exceeds expectations.’ is closed to new replies.