Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Studying at the OU.
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

So… I’m sitting here with the forms ready to send away to start the first 60 points on a BA (Honours) Language studies, 2 modules (Spanish and English route, though I might change that.).

What are the thoughts on the OU, and in particular, doing language studies there? Worthwhile or a waste of time?

brassneck

My mum did a history degree. Worst case it keeps you actively learning and thinking, what could be bad about that? Good luck with it!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

My mum did a history degree. Worst case it keeps you actively learning and thinking, what could be bad about that? Good luck with it!

this
    Be prepared to put the time in 18-20hrs a week. The learning material is excellent but starts off easy making you think it’s a doddle then develops very quickly. Use the easy parts to get ahead of the schedule, and use the schedule. If you start to fall behind it can be overwhelming. I’m on a break just now (maths & physics) because as interesting as it is, spending weekends in the library when the sun’s shining and I want to go out to play is pretty dispiriting. I’ll be taking it up again over the winter.
    I would definitely look at the whole course and check that you have enough interest in it to go on to do the level 2 and 3 stuff gives you limited options or would an open degree (just do whatever modules you fancy) be a better bet?
    Use your tutors and the on-line resources as well.
    All the best with it.

enfht
    Free Member

Some of their professors unfortunately have very strong political views which they share on social media – but without the obligatory disclaimers, so maybe the entire OU are certified far-left twunts.

geoffj

I did my MBA with them. It was hard work juggling it with work, but the materials and tutorials were pretty good.

surfer
    Free Member

I did some post grad stuff, very good materials and more challenging than my Degree!!! Supportive but they push you hard and their standards are very high. All in all I think the OU is ace.

dovebiker

I did a part-time MBA many years ago – one of the other students had transferred across from OU. He said that the OU required a lot more study time to compensate for lack of direct teaching. Heed the advice of your tutors unless you’re a workaholic.

chewkw
    Free Member

Unless it is science related it will be a waste of time and money. Studying language is definitely not useful unless it is for your job promotion.

Me mate is studying OU astronomy coz that’s his hobby and wants to win in a argument. i.e. using the cert as authoritative weight. He got a PhD long long time ago and currently researching on something related to IT whatever.

Basically, he has too much time and money … 😮

edit: if you really want to set yourself a challenge why not challenge yourself to learn via the web by your own effort. See how much you can achieve. This challenge is much more useful.

seosamh77
    Free Member

it keeps you actively learning and thinking

Tbh that’s really my only goal here. I’ve been playing around with the idea of doing something at the OU for years, and recently I’ve got more interested in learning Spanish properly again. So banging those 2 aspiration together sounds like the right thing to do.

So this kinda ticks a couple on boxes on that front, I need the structure, and I would like to have a degree. I’m just about to head into my 40s, I think I want the focus that this will give me.

Good to hear most experiences are positive, I’ve always had a positive view of it myself. But keep the thoughts coming, both positive and negative, i’m interested in all opinions.

brassneck

Unless it is science related it will be a waste of time and money. Studying language is definitely not useful unless it is for your job promotion.

That’s a really narrow view of the benefit of educating oneself in anything. I’d certainly advocate doing something you have an interest in (the current buzzword is passion) than something you think/hope will be ‘useful’.

FWIW I did engineering at a normal uni and it was of best marginally useful to my career in IT, but I don’t regret the time spent on it. I’ve certainly considered taking OU courses on the basis that there’s a structure to the modules that random internet based research might miss – that can come later, and is part of my day to day anyway.

bakey

Unless it is science related it will be a waste of time and money.

What rot.

I did my MBA through them many years ago. Excellent materials, tutors and system. I suspect the online element is much better than when I did it in the early 2000s. Their degrees are considered positively by employers who recognise the personal motivation required.

bowglie

i started studying with the OU back in the early 90’s and it changed my life (….for the better;) Someone at work had studied with them and could see that I was fed up and bored where I was working – my colleague suggested trying an OU course. I started studying with them out of a general interest in science and related stuff. I really got into it, and ended up going full time to a bricks and mortar uni and getting a PhD, and I’ve been working in the area that I qualified in for the last 12 years.

I guess the workload and perceived difficulty depends on your previous educational background, however, from people I’ve spoken to who’ve studied with the OU, all but one said they found the workload challenging. The first year I did the maximum number of modules recommended for part time study it felt like the workload went off the scale (but I was working full time with long car commutes). Having studied at u/g level with OU and bricks & mortar uni, I’d say the OU is definitely tougher, but way more rewarding. As others have mentioned, use your tutors well and don’t be afraid to ask their advice if you start slipping behind (might feel like you’re the only one falling behind, but in reality I was told most people do at some point).

My advice would be not to underestimate the amount of time you’ll have to put in, and maybe start off with a half module (or whatever they call that now…60 credits(?)). Also, if you have a partner & kids, explain that you are going to need some time and space etc. If you’re all OK with this, I’d say go for it! I don’t think it matters what subject you choose to study – as long as you’re interested in it. Lifelong learning dude, it’s good for the soul:)

footflaps

I did a load of Maths courses about 15 years ago with the OU, started with BSc and then their MSc. IIRC 60 points worked out at about 10 hrs a week study during each term.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Aye, workload and difficultly is something I’ve been thinking about over the weekend. I had been thinking about skipping the first Spanish module, as my reading skills are reasonable(but my speaking and listening are terrible!), so I’m wary of jumping too far ahead there on the basis of a year in private Spanish classes I did 8 years ago.

So I think based on that I should be fine doing the 2 modules right away(they’re only 30 points each, 60 point is recommend parttime study.), and one will pretty much just be revision for me(I’ve found the online podcasts to go with it), which I don’t think will do me any harm. The other not so much, so the first year should be a manageable introduction.

Understood on the work/life/learning balance. No kids, so that simplify’s that somewhat!

And tbh, my work don’t know it, but they’ll be paying me to study some of this! 😆

chewkw
    Free Member

bakey – Member

Unless it is science related it will be a waste of time and money.

What rot.

I did my MBA through them many years ago. [/quote]

Me mate is a qualified engineer (with BSc etc), MBA (for his career progression), PhD (because he could) and many more certs (too much time on his hands). Now he is researching IT related stuff with some people.

I asked him before about OU social science subjects his response was certainly not worthwhile … For pride and hobby perhaps.

According to him there is so much information on the web nowadays for social science related stuff, it is hardly worth doing it anymore unless you have not studied for first degree previously or you do not have one.

My view is that learning language requires plenty of practice real time, as someone explained previously to me previously when they work abroad.

Anyway, as long as OP is happy with OU language course that is more than sufficient to do it.

I am just providing alternative views that’s all, coz I did ask me mate about it a while back. 😀

thomthumb
    Free Member

According to him there is so much information on the web nowadays for social science related stuff, it is hardly worth doing it anymore unless you have not studied for first degree previously or you do not have one.

“no i do not have a PhD but i have spent a lot of time on the internet”

bowglie

ha ha, yes, quite. I remember a double glazing fitter once telling me very authoritatively that the only real doctors are medical doctors – I really should have asked what he studied at University. It’s a bit like Michael Gove saying “we don’t need experts telling us what to do all the time” – hey Michael, next time you need some medical treatment, or dentistry, or your car fixing, or your own kids educating, give me a shout, I’m not an expert, but you’ll be in safe hands, ‘cos I’ve Googled it.

Moses

Mrs M took an MA in Education management with the OU< which certainly helped her career. It wasn’t easy, & required a fair amount of self-discipline.

As for languages, go for it. As we leave the EC English will become less and less the language of EU business, so skills in Spanish (and especially German) will help you land work – depending on what you do, of course.

skids
    Free Member

OU is pretty good, but some subject can be much tougher without so much face to face stuff, possibly Spanish for example. The materials they produce are excellent from what I have seen

seosamh77
    Free Member

chewkw – Member
    My view is that learning language requires plenty of practice real time, as someone explained previously to me previously when they work abroad.

I agree 100%, you need some form of immersion.

iolo
    Free Member

I’m currently doing a psychology degree.
    It’s bloody hard work and requires a lot of discipline but I love it.
    I’m only doing it for interest. There’s a lot to do but if you plan your time and be disciplined, its ok.

footflaps

The materials they produce are excellent from what I have seen

Highest quality training material I’ve ever come across, a joy to follow.

chewkw
    Free Member

thomthumb – Member

Ya, probably spent a lot of time on internet for the wrong stuff like pnro perhaps. As you know internet could not succeed without pnro.

Another view is that you have Not spent enough time sifting all the materials. Put it this way the amount of information available is so much you would have to spend a lot of time searching for the right one.

Therefore, perhaps spending not enough time or spending too much time on the wrong information might be the problem.

seosamh77 – Member
    I agree 100%, you need some form of immersion.

Online chatting with some Spanish speaking people … after all there is something called interweb. Get a webcam … 😛

Daffy

I cant comment on languages, but I studied for my Maths A-level via the OU. Of the 22 people enrolled in my intake, I was the only one to complete the course. You’ve got to really want to do it.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Highest quality training material I’ve ever come across, a joy to follow.

Whilst in my (engineering) experience some of it has been downright awful. The online system takes a bit of getting used to as well. In fact there’s more than a few things that grate but shouldn’t ultimately put anyone off that wants to achieve.

As a fellow engineer I can tell you with good authority he knows bugger all about social sciences.

pnro

It’s pr0n. Always has been. I suggest you maybe do a language course to fill in the gaps.

elzorillo
    Free Member

My personal experience…

Good points.. Keeps your brain active.. meet new people.. builds self respect.. pretty cheap.. I was the only man on most courses..

Bad points.. People who at the same time as me were at uni full time would often comment that my workload for the OU was far more than theirs yet I studied twice as long as them.. The shear time spent reading, watching videos, listening to lectures, completing assignments seems bizarre for what is a part time course.. Some of the assignments, essays seemed completely irrelevant to the course taken.. Every single assignment, lecture, book has a heavyweight leftist political slant.. I spent 5/6 years often being told how bad it was to be British.. I was the only man on most courses.

In summary.. I wouldn’t do it again but once you’ve committed you really have to finish the course.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

seosamh77

I’m thinking the same way at the mo, and doing Spanish A level with a view to a Modern Languages degree in 3-4 years time. OU definitely sounds like it has its attractions, but I would really like to find a way of doing a University course where I go to a uni, but only 3 days a week (so just like a normal student 😉 )

interesting how elzorillo’s post actualy backs up enfht’s political points…

I am vaguely left wing but I would hate that – I wonder how much a language course would be affected?

mikey74
    Free Member

My advice: you must love the subject you are going to study, otherwise all of that studying after work will be a real drag.

I remember when I did my HNC Construction: I always left my assignments until the last minute as I couldn’t face doing them. By contrast, I can’t wait to start my BSc Geology assignments.

elzorillo
    Free Member

I am vaguely left wing but I would hate that – I wonder how much a language course would be affected?

I did Modern Languages Eng/Spanish. Even so, political slant was horrendous.

stumpy01

This is an interesting topic.

I am currently in two minds about starting an OU course through my employer.
    My boss has mentioned that it might be worth looking into a Physics OU degree, as it would be relevant to my work. Which I agree with.
    But, I am also considering the Design course that they do as I think it is still relevant & something I would probably find more interesting & be more likely to find motivation for.

But – my quandary is how I fit the study time into my current life. I have a young daughter who I want to spend as much time with as I can. I want to ride my bike, which I struggle to find time to do at the moment, as it is.
    I have numerous ‘hobbies’ that I would like to start but never find the time for, as well as all the household DIY tasks that never get done.

I am not sure whether the extra effort of studying will just end up being too much.
    Everyone I know that has done an OU degree seems to have needed to spend every moment not at work, studying for their OU course. Hmmmm.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’m generally to the left of Gandhi, so I’ll probably view the material as quite fascist! 😆

elzorillo
    Free Member

My daughters who were at bricks n mortar unis at the time would constantly comment on my ridiculous amount of work.

I can only assume this is due to bureaucrats sat in Milton Keynes OU tower who assign the workload but forget to consider it’s a part time course.

The workload and time needed should not be underestimated. Given the amount of work hours I lost during that time (self employed) I really do think it would have been better to quit work for three years. That together with the political bias made my experience one I wouldn’t recommend to anyone.

footflaps

But – my quandary is how I fit the study time into my current life. I have a young daughter who I want to spend as much time with as I can. I want to ride my bike, which I struggle to find time to do at the moment, as it is.
    I have numerous ‘hobbies’ that I would like to start but never find the time for, as well as all the household DIY tasks that never get done.

I did mine whilst living with my parents saving up a deposit to buy a house. As soon as I bought a house I stopped the OU courses and spent the time on DIY.

It’s a pretty big commitment, although doing a single 30 point course each year isn’t that bad (only 3rd year options were available as 30 point courses in Maths when I did it IIRC).

egb81
    Free Member

If you’re pushed for time then you can look at the assignments for each section, focus on the relevant reading and skim read some of the other bits. I managed perfectly fine on about 8hr a week study (combined social sciences/politics). The assignments can take a far amount of time, particularly if you’re really interested and get a bit carried away with researching the topic. You’ll quickly learn the value of a good essay plan.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

chewkw – Member
    My view is that learning language requires plenty of practice real time, as someone explained

Always great to have the views of someone whose opinions are formed on the basis of “my mate told me”. Especially when they’re imaginary friends.

Me mate is a qualified engineer (with BSc etc), MBA (for his career progression), PhD (because he could) and many more certs (too much time on his hands). Now he is researching IT related stuff with some people.

his name isn’t Harvey by any chance?

jimoiseau
    Free Member

seosamh77

it keeps you actively learning and thinking
    Tbh that’s really my only goal here. I’ve been playing around with the idea of doing something at the OU for years, and recently I’ve got more interested in learning Spanish properly again. So banging those 2 aspiration together sounds like the right thing to do.[/quote]

Based on your reasons for doing the course, I’d throw another couple of suggestions out there:

1. Look for expatriate positions in your industry. You’d get paid to learn Spanish rather than pay, full immersion would bring your level in the language on much more, and you mentioned you don’t have kids which would make it easier. There’s not many industries that don’t exist somewhere in Spain or South America, although looking for Spanish-owned UK businesses might be you best bet (this is what I did to learn French).

2. Take a career break and live abroad. If you’ve got enough savings to pay for OU you could move somewhere cheap in South America on a student visa for a year and study Spanish (I did this in Colombia).

Obviously these are both pretty radical solutions, but classroom learning a language is so different to learning it in the country where it’s spoken natively, plus you get to learn all of the cultural differences. It definitely keeps your brain pretty engaged too.

seosamh77
    Free Member

2. Take a career break and live abroad. If you’ve got enough savings to pay for OU you could move somewhere cheap in South America on a student visa for a year and study Spanish (I did this in Colombia).

This is an idea that’s been popping into my head recently tbh. Not sure on the practicalities, but I think it’s something that could interest me further down the road, i’m well aware you really need to live in a country to properly get to a native level.

I’d think doing the first 60 this year while working is defo what I’ll be doing, after I complete these 2 modules, though i guess at the 120point mark would be the time to consider option, then it’ll be a case of determining how to continue.

But aye, it’s an interesting thought, wonder if I could even work “from home” in my current job at a lesser level, something I know I could easily do, but whether employer would agree or not is another story. But a bit down the road for decisions on that kinda thing. First things first though, jump into the course and see how it sits with me.

chewkw
    Free Member

elzorillo – Member
    My daughters who were at bricks n mortar unis at the time would constantly comment on my ridiculous amount of work.

I can only assume this is due to bureaucrats sat in Milton Keynes OU tower who assign the workload but forget to consider it’s a part time course. That’s because bureaucrats need to justify their positions. If they make it easy it would be perceived as mickey mouse course that’s not really worth anything. But by making it complicated it will give you the feeling that you earn it via hard work. The truth is they need your money.

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member
    Always great to have the views of someone whose opinions are formed on the basis of “my mate told me”. Especially when they’re imaginary friends.

Not imaginary I can assure you that.

Me mate only do OU because he wants to win arguments in his hobby.

his name isn’t Harvey by any chance?

No.

seosamh77
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member

I would definitely look at the whole course and check that you have enough interest in it to go on to do the level 2 and 3 stuff gives you limited options or would an open degree (just do whatever modules you fancy) be a better bet?

Aye, going back to this. I’ve been looking into the Open Degree, I think you settle into a route on the 2nd year, and more or less through your first module choices.

I guess I’ve got a choice there, I’ve already got an HND in Graphic Design and 15 years of working. I’m not sure if that would maybe give me points, though the HND was more than 16 years ago, so I know that’s passed due. But I don’t know if working gives you points or elongates the longevity of the HND? I would need to ask. But the option there could be to do Design and Spanish through an Open Degree.

But I think I want a complete break from what I do and English could be interesting along with Spanish, learning a bit of Spanish last time did open my eyes to how little I know about English. I’m largely orally taught in that sense, and in English at school I was half-arsed at best. Will be harder than picking Design I think, though I know an OU Design degree will be more wide ranging than Graphics.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Studying at the OU.’ is closed to new replies.