Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Student internet
  • shortyj15

I’ve been delegated to sort the internet for our uni house next term. Term starts 1st October and ends mid summer. All we need is internet no phone or tv.
    Any good deals around?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Don’t bother with virgin, had a horrific time with them whilst at uni.

jamj1974

4G router?

scaredypants

Are you sure there isn’t any included in the deal ?
    Lots of universities “insist” on landlords providing a specified level of pron internet bandwidth before they’ll endorse them

squirrelking
    Free Member

Virgin is your only choice for phone free.

Otherwise, Plusnet.

shortyj15

How would a 4g router work?

My parents are with plusnet can a deal be done for an extra house?

Russell96

Whichever ISP you go with, go with a router that will divvy up the bandwidth equally amongst all the users, otherwise some sod with a BitTorrent addiction will soak it all up leaving you to enjoy your jerky YouTube and Iplayer videos.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

If you can’t get cable you’ll need to get a phone line activated, even if you won’t use it. Most of the ISP’s I looked at also require a year long contact which is crap. I used to use BE Internet who were generally great and offered shorter terms (but were more expensive monthly). They got bought out by someone, but not sure who.

Virgin would be my choice if you can get cable. I had no problems with them other than the occasional outage which was always fixed pretty quickly. No idea if they do shorter term/month to month contracts though.

GrahamS

Zen offer short month-by-month contracts and are very highly rated – but a bit pricey compared plus.net and the like.

jamj1974

4g router works just like a normal router but instead of a wired connection to the internet uses a cellular connection using a mobile phone network and a data only SIM.

scaled
    Free Member

The amount of data we went through at uni was obscene. 4g would have been a nightmare.

We had great service from virgin over 2 years we had just the one outage.

matt_outandabout

Russell96 makes a good point _ what ever you do, lock down individual users to thier own useage….we had one lad in a shared staff house at work who was surprised when complaints were made that he was running his own gaming server of some kind, chewing through valuable bandwidth and volume of capped satelite broadband.

Cougar

He was running a gaming server on satellite broadband? What was he playing, chess?

jb72
    Free Member

Indeed … whatever you go for make sure the data is unlimited. I guess the difficulty is finding a provider who will do less than a 12 month contract.

matt_outandabout

He was running a gaming server on satellite broadband? What was he playing, chess?

I suspect Octopron, but more likely some RPG game or other…

shortyj15

Problem is most fiber deals seem to be 18 month contract.

m0rk
    Free Member

I seem to remember plusnet had month by month contracts

Prepare to pay an installation fee though

shortyj15

Plusnet seem to charge the remaining months if you end early.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Student internet’ is closed to new replies.