Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Studded tyres for icy commutes?
  • disco_stu
    Free Member

With the winter approaching I’d want to avoid slippy icy commutes that I had in the past 2 winters, so what studded tyres should I be looking at for my Pompino?
    I know its only going to be for a few weeks at most but its got to be better than getting the bus!
    Do the tyres wear out quicker and how are they on normal tarmac?

druidh
    Free Member

You normally have to run them in for a wee while (just a few miles at an easy pace, no harsh braking/cornering) Then they last for ages.

Very noisy on tarmac though.

Buy now though – they sell out fast as soon as the winter hits.

zilog6128

Very useful page on a US bike shop here that explains everything http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp
    including why it is unnecessary to run them in except if there is a manufacturing defect (!)
    The rest of the site is quite informative & amusingly written if you have a few spare minutes.

I bought some for last winter. Went for the top of the range Schwalbe ones, yes they were expensive but should last forever seeing as they only get a couple of weeks use a year plus they worked exceptionally well on ice. Noisy on tarmac as druidh says, you’ll want to swap back to your regular tyres as soon as you’re sure the snow has gone!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Contrary to silogs views

I found em shite on snow. They are designed for ice.

Unless you want to predict weather each night youll probably find you fit em at first ice and they stay till it goes. Least thats what im doing 🙂

Northwind

It depends on the exact conditions. A Marathon spike is still basically a marathon, so yes it’s not much good in loose snow (though, mine did very well on hardpacked snow). But the plus side of those is, they’re quick and I could quite happilly ride around on them on no-snow days.

OTOH I’d only use my Ice Spiker or my old screw-spiked Nevegal when the conditions require it. (which, incidentally, is how I broke my ribs at the start of the year- found some ice on a day which didn’t seem like it’d be icy)

zilog6128

Contrary to silogs views

I found em shite on snow. They are designed for ice.
    You’re quite right, that last “snow” should have been “ice”, my mistake! These tyres will slip and slide on snow (but then so will anything IME). This is not really a problem as far as I’m concerned though because sliding in snow is quite predictable whereas ice will have you over with a broken arm before you know it!!

drlex
    Free Member

Very noisy on tarmac though.

Upside is that it’s very reminiscent of frying bacon…

…Downside is that such makes me very hungry whilst riding

boblo
    Free Member

steveoath – Member
    I’m going for a set of these for the commuter

£30 from Spa.

garrrrpirate
    Free Member

Has anyone tried the continental top contact winter tyres? The non studded ones, any good, got to be better for the road if they grip one ice?

shindiggy
    Free Member

That was a great link, so much info on the studded tyres, will order myself a pair for my winter commute

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Got some Marathon Winters last year and they were superb on ice. My homeward commute has a climb that Strava describes as a cat 4. Rode up it on a mix of smooth, wet, crunchy and rutted ice and they didn’t miss a beat. One of the most impressive things I have experienced from a product.
    As for the sound though, and I tended towards the sound of riding through rice crispies. If I start hankering after bacon next time there will be trouble!

mr_stru

One thing to bear in mind is that if there’s a big chunk of sheet ice then ice spikes turn riding on it from impossible/terrifying to merely disconcerting. It’s sort of like riding on ground where the top wee bit has thawed and the rest is solid.

The other thing is do not stop till you get off the ice as your shoes don’t have spikes :/

Oh, and factor in a little extra time for your commute as they’re a bit slower.

druidh
    Free Member

Oh aye – I meant to say that too 😳

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Studded tyres for icy commutes?’ is closed to new replies.