Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Stud with flat bits – what's it called?
  • bencooper
    Free Member

I know what the things I want look like, they’re M12 x 50mm threaded studs, but with spanner flats in the middle so they can be tightened up.

Please put me out of my misery and tell me what they’re called 😀

scotroutes

Like this?

No idea

perchypanther
    Free Member

Flugelbinders?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Do you mean double ended stud or do you mean with opposing threads so that turning the flats brings two parts together/apart?

bencooper
    Free Member

Scotroutes – exactly like that!

Onzadog – M12 RH both ends. It’s to join two tubes together, I’m putting M12 rivnuts into the ends of the tubes, and want the stud to be captive in one, and then thread into the other.

scotroutes

If you don’t recess the rivnuts, won’t you have the flat part of the double-ended screw/stud/bolt/bar between the two tubes?

wwaswas

Use star fangled nuts so they’re recessed to hide the flats 🙂

cheekyboy
    Free Member

threaded hexagonal bar AKA THB 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

The tubes don’t necessarily need to end up flush – and the thread on the rivnut is recessed by 10mm anyway.

I suppose I could just weld a nut in the middle of a threaded rod…

scotroutes

Hex shoulder double stud should pop up a few results but why do you need the nut in the middle?

You could screw one end of a normal stud in using the double-nut technique – maybe loctite it in place- then just screw the other tube onto it.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Surely a stud with flat bits is called a Burt Reynolds?

blader1611
    Free Member

Isn’t it Dave?

tillydog
    Free Member

Hex collar stud or double ended stud

bencooper
    Free Member

You could screw one end of a normal stud in using the double-nut technique – maybe loctite it in place- then just screw the other tube onto it.

It’s going to be screwed and unscrewed, I want the stud to stay put – I could drill and pin it I suppose, but trying to simplify things if I can.

wombat

They’re called Grollings.

HTH

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Stud with flat bits – what's it called?’ is closed to new replies.