Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Stuck seatpost woes – Any suggestions?
  • ben
    Free Member

I borrowed a friend's bike and had a crack at removing a siezed seatpost..

This resulted in bending the alloy post. After attempts to remove it using plusgas, etc. it clearly wasn't shifting. So finally tried the hacksaw method. Alas the post is reinforced (as shown in the blurry photo below) and hacksaw attempts have proved futile..

Final thought was to have it reamed out, so a trip to local engineering place yesterday. They're not confident they'll be able to align their tool to do it sucessfully..

Any final pearls of widsom?

Failing that, anyone got a 16" Marin steel frame with a 1" steerer gathering dust anywhere? (Clutching at straws!) 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

Steel frame and alloy post. I would have removed the bottom bracket, turned it upsdie down and filled it with sodium hydroxide to disolve the aluminum oxide that has forms and increased the diameter of the post. To make that work, you'd need to find some wahy of plugging up that seat post now.

You don't need to ream it all out, when the post gets thin enough, it will screw out on the reamer. If they don't think they can line it up that well, I'd look for another engineering firm!

hillsplease

Or – cut the seatpost along the remaining length with a new hacksaw blade and then drive it deeper into the frame. It's cheap and nasty but it worked for me.

The other thing I saw is as per the post above but using Coca-cola.

DM52
    Free Member

is there any seat post showing out the top of the frame? Stick the remainder in a vice nice and tight and turn the frame. That is how I did mine.

ben
    Free Member

It was the vice technque that twisted the seatpost in the first place.. Think I'll try to search further for an engineering outfit that could help with reaming it out..

BruceM
    Free Member

Cant really work out whats going on in that picture, however it looks as if the seatpost is split into three "veins" along its length.

If this is the case id stuff something down these tubes(steel rod maybe?) to help prevent the twisting and then try the vice method again. this time clamping close to the frame.

Alternatively drill through the seatpost fairly close to the frame and insert a leaver and twist that, hopefully that would avoid the twisting as it would be close to the frame. It that failed then i would look at reaming.

cynic-al
    Free Member

NaOH + Al2O3 -> ?

Macavity
    Free Member

Dynamite. Or might not work.

Loctite Freeze and Release
    http://loctitefreezeandrelease.com/
    Wurth rost off.

Liquid nitrogen to freeze (shrink) the seatpost then put in a vice and twist.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Stuck seatpost woes – Any suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.