Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • stuck seat post
  • mucker

I've got a P2 frame some twonk has rammed the seat post into hard, very hard. I've sawn the the seat clamp off and tightened the post into a well secured vice and can barely get a few degrees of turn but no movement out of frame. I've tried to expand frame by pouring boiling water over seat tube and contract seat post by filling it with liquid lighter gas Anyone got an inspired solution to the problem.

br
    Free Member

This worked for a seized external BB housing.

with a hacksaw blade slowly saw internally downwards (without damaging the frame), while 'peeling' the post inwards.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Check out sheldon brown – he has some suggestions
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

bent_udder
    Free Member

^^^ That's worked for me, too. but it's a long old job. You might want to try getting hold of Plusgas, and clamping the frame upside down by the seatpost. Pour a load of plusgas in and leave overnight. Might shift it if there's a bit of corrosion going on.

If you have calipers it might be worth measuring the OD of the seatpost and seeing if that matches up with the published seat tube inside diameter – could be some genius has put, for example, a 27.2 seatpost in a 26.8 seat tube. I've seen it done.

DT78
    Free Member

Try drilling a hole through the seat post and putting something through it to help try to twist with the frame in a clamp. I used a massive drill bit I had lying around, soak the post in wd40 or whatever and try it. If that doesn't work use a hammer to hit the drill bit to try and shock it free. Good luck!

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

drill a hole in the seat post then ram a screwdriver through the hole and out the top of the seat post (diaganaly) then smack the screw driver pulling the seat post out!! work for me when some **** out a 27.2 in a 27.0 was there for hours!!! tryed every thing and that was the last thing and i worked

hitman
    Free Member

mucker
    I had the same experience in the summer with a carbon seatpost and alu frame
    Be careful – do not try to do this in one go!!
    I did , got very frustrated and moved the post but did my back in and ended up with 6 weeks off the bike!!i

coatesy
    Free Member

Had to do a similar job recently,3 of us pulling/twisting with the post clamped in a vice, had it turning but not coming out. Eventually removed it by removing the top clamp allowing a slide hammer for fitting crown races to sit next to the frame, clamped the seat post tightly in the vice so there was a small gap to the slide hammer, and drove a large flat screwdriver into the gap. Moving the post to close the gap and repeating it eventually got it out.

hitman
    Free Member

I hacksawed the post down to top of seat tube and got it out that way
    Horrible job – you need lots of patience

mucker

Thanks to all for input.I've tried the drill and long thing approach unsuccessfully, will look out stout gloves, hacksaw blade and extra patient head tomorrow.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘stuck seat post’ is closed to new replies.