Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • stuck pro II freehub
  • nosedive

does anyone know how to get these off if they are stuck? it used to just pull off the axle but now its jammed.

sticking it in a vice and wrestling the wheel has only marked the freehub and bent the rim 🙁

robhughes

http://www.youtube.com/user/KaeSae1#p/u/22/J-09KxrRIbY

Use the 2 pence method if it,s really tight. 🙂

nosedive

nice, wish I had asked you before I taco’d my wheel!

liquid

There’s a video on you tube somewhere but from memory last year if this makes sense…….

Undo the cassette and take off the lock ring and place a couple of 2 pence pieces in the hole, now tighten the the lock ring back up, undo the cassette add a few more two pences, tighten up the lock ring and repeat until the free hub pops off – someones beaten me to it but it does work!

nosedive

cheers both! must ask before frustration sets in next time

robhughes

bit slow there liquid 😉
    nosedive-I took one off that actually bent the 2p,s over the axle.
    had to use some steel washers to get the tw#t off.stuck solid due to steel on ally corrosion between the bearings and the axel.
    Be careful not to bottom the lockring out as you,ll strip the thread in the freehub.Just keep on adding the 2p,s

bigyinn

Some penetrating oil and heat from a hairdryer will probably help too.

robhughes

Yer good shout bigyin.
    But thinking back i didn,t use any wd/gt because you,d have to soak the bearings bit if your fitting new ones or don,t mind full clean out and regrease?

nosedive

ok thanks. soaking in wd40 overnight now. wish i had an old lockring, do you think there is a chance I could mangle the light alloy one off my sram cassette if its really stuck?

robhughes

No. I used exactly the same one nosedive and mine was rock solid.Just go slowly on it and you,ll be fine.
    You can feel it as you go.
    you,ll start to bend the 2 p,s first before you,ll strip it.

bigyinn

You shouldn’t be taking bearings out and putting the same ones back in!! Hence why penetrating oil was suggested, as it doesnt matter what happens to the old bearings as they’re bin fodder.

robhughes

he might not want to take the bearings out.pawl change or re grease.. etc….??

Premier Icon T666DOM
    Subscriber

Just don’t leave it so long next time, I take mine apart every few months to clean and regrease never had any problems with things sticking

robhughes

Yer mine where a pair of 317 on pro2 from on here.serviced them strait away only to find stuck free-hub, nackered bearings and 1 pawl snapped.
    good job i striped them down before use.
    Mind you they were only £120 and mint except for internals which are easy to sort out…

nosedive

after what I did to the freehub in the vice there is no question of taking bearings out. It was looking pretty mangled anyway but now its just a big squished alloy block

definitely stainless for the replacement. which I will obviously service more often than once every 3 years.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘stuck pro II freehub’ is closed to new replies.