Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Stuck – Plastic bit of a Square taper Bottom Bracket Non drive side
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

As above
    Tried to undo and it just shattered/broke on me removing the grooves so the tool is no use – yes I turned it the correct way and used anti seize when installed

I was able to withdraw it from the drive side so the BB is put but the plastic bit is now stuck in the frame on th enon drive side

What is the best way of removing this ?
    I thought of attacking it with a gas welder and melting it out – any other better techniques or suggestions?

w1zard
    Free Member

I think when it happened to me I used a wood chisel and a hammer to ‘ease’ it round until it was loose enough to unscrew by hand. Took me bloody ages mind.

I did consider the flamethrower approach but was concerned about the paint/grease igniting my garage….

Sancho
    Free Member

You can just break it up, maybe hack saw blade for a bit?

messiah
    Free Member

As long as you have some of the plastic protruding from the BB shell you can try and break it up with a hammer and screwdriver – this usually works. Just hit it in a way to try and crack/break up the plastic without hitting near the threads, once it’s cracked and bending in use pliars/mole-grips etc to tease it out.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hacksaw through the plastic twice (not TOO deep as you could bugger the BB shell), remove segment of remaining bit and it should just fall out / break up pretty easily.

Junkyard
    Free Member

ok going for the hammer and screwdriver/chisel approach then hacksaw then gas welder to burn it out
    some bits are still protruding ish but i woul dsay 60 % ish has gone- seemed brittle tbh as i had not even got the point of using a bar for leeverage and it is quite a small ratchet i was using

Cheers all

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Stuck – Plastic bit of a Square taper Bottom Bracket Non drive side’ is closed to new replies.