Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Stuck Pedal
  • MatA
    Free Member

I am trying to remove an XT spd pedal from an XT crank – the other side came off easily. & yes, I’m aware of LH & RH threads.

It’s frozen very hard. I’ve tried shock’n’unlock & also soaking it with WD40 overnight.

I’ve used some wood between the opposite crank & the frame, but the amount of force I’ve exerted scares me!

Any suggestions?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

longer pole on allen key

mrjmt
    Free Member

Remove crank, put crank arm in soft jaw vice then use something with more leverage, pole on allen key as above or I discovered at the weekend that the square bit on a 1/2″ drive ratchet fits into a 15mm ring spanner, use the open end of the spanner on the pedal. 8)

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Check closely that the axel hasn’t started to split around where the allen key goes in.

I’ve had that in the past, leaving tiny split marks, expanding the axel making it a nightmare to remove.
    Hopefully it won’t be that but it’s worth checking for.

singlespeedstu

I’ve had the same thing happen on an XT pedal^^.
    The end splayed out and made it a proper bastard to remove.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Heat, bigger/tougher lever, more lubrication, more swearing, how much is a new crank? Drill, how much is a new crank?

Speshpaul

What mrjmt said,
    get it off the frame. all of the force you are using is going in to the BB, it won’t do them little balls any good.

sssimon
    Free Member

decent allen key in vice and use the crank as a lever

globalti
    Free Member

Just put the pedal spanner alongside the crank so that they are nearly parallel, then wearing stiffish soled shoes stand on the spanner and bounce. Obviously they need to be orientated so that your weight is undoing, not doing up.

velocipede
    Free Member

what sssimon said but with the addition of:

1. boiling water on the crank
    2. “freeze your nuts off” spray from your local car shop sprayed on the pedal axle

I did this last week with exact same problem – pedal came off like it was only finger tight!!

😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Stuck Pedal’ is closed to new replies.