Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Stuck one-up in stem
  • lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Can’t get the bluddy thing out. Anyone else had any issues and tips on how to resolve?

nixie

Tool? Pull harder and grease it before you put it back.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Yeah the tool. Initially it wouldn’t move at all, however with the help of some grips I managed to pull it out to just about half way up the mini tool and then it wouldn’t move at all. It feels as though something is catching inside the steerer tube that is preventing the removal. Tried to run some oil down it, but didnt seem to do anything.

nixie

Ah, was the metal tool in the plastic carrier the right way? There is a prominent bit on the tool that sits in a recess. If it’s the wrong way around you can force it together. Doing so makes the whole thing slightly wider which could make it stick. I’ve never got it all the way into the steerer though like that (realised as it got stiff).

nixie

Thinking about the design assuming your using the threaded cap your going to need to pull it out or unscrew the cap (if the tool is really stuck tight it may cause the cap to unthread.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

It’s difficult to say as i think i put it back together correctly the last time i used it. I cant recall having to force it in.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Yeah its the threaded cap. Cant unscrew the cap as there’s not enough room for the cassette tool. Tried to free it off with a little chisel and gentle nudge, but the cap is too soft. Tried using a rod to tap it out from the bottom with no avail .

scruff
    Free Member

plumbers wrench or similar to unscrew.

nixie

Can you unscrew the top cap (again assuming threaded steerer version*)? If you have pin spanners or span ring pluers you may be able to get those in the to cap tool points to help.

If stem mount typ we then remove the stem, if new insert your remove the whole insert.

Edit,crossed posts.

nixie

At this point you may need to consider the plastic carrier expendable (spares are available).

submarined
    Free Member

I had exactly this at the weekend! The cause was tracked to the two bolts that hold the multi tool together coming loose. The tool then jams against the top cap.
    I eventually got it out by leaning the bike at all sorts of funny angles and wiggling the carrier in and out. Then applied loctite to the tool pivot bolt threads to stop it happening again.

prezet
    Free Member

A friend had this while we were in the Alps last year. All the vibrations had caused the chain splitter bolt to work loose. Was a PITA to get it out.

Superficial
    Free Member

This sounds very annoying. Obviously you could try pushing it out from below for more purchase.

If I’ve overtightened the plastic barrel, the top edge can get splayed out just enough to catch on the top cap.

DickBarton

Is the bottom of the fork sealed to prevent moisture and dirt getting up there? It might have caused a bit more of a ‘seal’.

Any CO2 cartridges? Could you try freezing the tool to see if it shrinks slightly and can then be removed? (I’m assuming CO2 will do the compression bit as I’m guessing the stuff is cold).

StirlingCrispin

My son suffered with this – the chainring bolt thing holding the tool had loosened off and was sitting proud.

To remove the tool I undid the stem bolts and loosened the top tap to dismantle.

Then tightened the chainring bolt thing before putting everything back together,

parkesie
    Free Member

Remove bars loosen stem and turn the stem to undo the top cap. Might need to tap the tool back in a touch unless it will turn with the cap.

singlespeedstu

Had the opposite of this the other day when fitting the new threadless version.
    The tool wouldn’t go into the holder.
    As above the two screws that hold the tool together needed tightening. It then slipped in easily.
    Seems the clearance is pretty tight between tool and top cap/holder and it doesn’t take much to jam it.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Remove bars loosen stem and turn the stem to undo the top cap.

Good suggestion- going to try that at the weekend.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Stuck one-up in stem’ is closed to new replies.