Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Stuck on next bike.. Cotic Flare/Rocket, Orange five or Whyte T130/G160
  • whitestone
    Free Member

If you turned her round she’d start wagging surely – Dad we’re going biking – wahay! 😛

scandal42
    Free Member

The bb on that Cotic is perfect weeing height.

jimw
    Free Member

I can guess why the bolt on the DS is apparently “too long” on the droplink bikes. The same bolt on NDS screws into the brake mount as well, so rather than have two lengths of bolt they buy in just one…….
    I know I am biased a bit, but I never notice the nut when I’m out and about on my Rocket, having too much fun.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Cokie – no worries with the questions. The Flare max vs Rocket max. I started out on the Rocket (29er wheels with 140mm up front) and it felt very similar to my 2013 Transition Covert 29 (140mm rear, 150mm up front). It felt a tad lighter but the ride was similar but the bike definitely felt nicer (all very subjective unfortunately). The trail consisted of 2 climbs and 2 descents and I did one of each on each bike – The descents were probably equivalent to a decent trail centre red – fast with loose rocks.

There was not a huge weight difference between the flare and the rocket, the flare slightly lighter, but not like an XC whippet – it’s definitely a sturdy machine. Seated climbing, both bikes feel like good climbers very little bob – not detectable – you could definitely do an all day epic on either. However the flare is definitely the better climber – just felt tighter. On the descents to me the Flare felt like a smaller bike under me – not sure why, they are similar sized bikes from their physical dimensions – I think the Rocket might be a bit slacker. Apparently the flare had a shorter stem and the rocket a longer one where you’d normally expect the opposite, but getting off the flare and onto the rocket between descents the Rocket felt like a larger bike – which I personally liked – gives me a bit of confidence and hides my many skill deficits. But that is probably just a case of getting used to different bikes. So not a massive difference between the two bikes. The flare is slightly lighter, slightly better climber, possibly more nimble, but the Rocket just feels like a bike that can just soak up anything you can throw at it.

I’m a keen trier on the manualing front – have no problem getting the front end up but holding it there is another matter. I can do it well enough to get the nose up to get off drops and over obstacles. Both bikes manualed well (I think the chainstay lengths are near as makes no difference the same as my Covert). They were both ‘poppier’ than my transition but not sure if that is down to shock tune or something – they were both easier to get off the ground and spring off small trail features than my Covert.

Sorry my descriptions are a bit wishy washy – I wouldn’t make a good bike reviewer for a magazine, but to be clear – both bikes rode brilliantly. Very well built, sturdy and nicely engineered – very refined – Cy’s done a great job, you can feel the development in the bikes, I doesn’t feel like they have any particular weakness. They were both similar but definitely better than my Covert. What I really would like to do is to ride one of these high end super expensive hyper bikes as a comparison. My dream bike would be a Yeti 5.5C but price and warranty reputation means i’ll never have one, but it would be interested to see how something like that compares to a Flare/Rocket and if the extra cost is worth it.

lawman91

Just sold my BFe and currently selling my Foxy to fund a T130c RS, though on paper the Flare looks very tempting, would love to get a test ride of the Flare, Flare Max and T130 back to back. I loved the T130C Works I rode earlier this year, it just felt so much more alive than others I’ve ridden, very playful, fun but didn’t feel like I was under-biked, just felt right. I loved my BFe, gorgeous bike, but it was way to small for me and felt a little dated and I just didn’t ride it enough because of the size. Aside from that though (and the paint not being the best) it was an awesome bike to ride and I’m sure the Flare will equally as good. Overall though I think it’s hard to beat the T130, the Flare would have to be unbelievably good to justify the extra expensive for me.

cokie

Thanks all! Really appreciate the reviews & info.

Think I’ll have to discount the Five. I can’t get a test ride and the lack of water bottle mounts annoys me.

I also think the Rocket is probably too much travel, so that’s out.

Fight between T130 and Flare..

Some thoughts then..
    > The T130RS is £2750, but the equivalent Flare build is £3200.
    > The T130Rs geometry is arguably better- longer reach & shorter CS.
    > The Flare is from a smaller guy and I like Cotic, but then I also have affinity to Whyte.
    > I like the idea of a steel front triangle- it looks nice, but it’s also heavier.
    > I can pickup the Whyte tomorrow and get riding, over a slower build with the Flare.

T130 test ride tomorrow, and waiting to hear from Sam about Cotic.

honourablegeorge

jimw – Member
    I can guess why the bolt on the DS is apparently “too long” on the droplink bikes. The same bolt on NDS screws into the brake mount as well, so rather than have two lengths of bolt they buy in just one…….
    I know I am biased a bit, but I never notice the nut when I’m out and about on my Rocket, having too much fun.

Yeah, the engineer in me appreciates that as a sensible solution. But the Cotic fan in me expects their FS bikes to be as pretty and nicely finished as their hardtails (and they are, for the most part)

Euro
    Free Member

Wobbliscott- what did you think of the Flare vs Rocket? Where they easy to manual?

I’m fond of a wee manual. The Rocket Max is many more longers than my Stumpy Evo and my first attempt was uugh!!! Like trying to open a door from the hinge side 😀 . Next go i shifted backwards a bit and it wasn’t too – a bike length or two maybe. Third go and i floated down the length of the street on the rear. And that’s with a bad back. Stumpy is a bitch to manual in comparison.

Not trying the hard sell the Cotic btw, just answering your Q.

whitestone – Member

If you turned her round she’d start wagging surely – Dad we’re going biking – wahay!

It worked!

wl
    Free Member

Like you said, hypersensitive.

chiefgrooveguru

Yes it’s a curse! On the plus side I earn a living from it (not with bikes, with my other obsession…)

I wouldn’t say the T130’s geometry is better than the Flare’s – it’s more on trend but I’m not convinced that’s it’s the best thing for everyone. I’m 5’10.5 and I prefer the balance and fit of my bike with 430mm chainstays and 430mm reach (and 740mm front-centre so 1170mm wheelbase) to my other one with 420mm chainstays and 460mm reach (and 770mm front centre so 1190mm wheelbase).

wrecker
    Free Member

boooooooooring, rides like something designed by committee.

And the five like something designed by an octogenarian when he was in his 20’s. Oh wait.

In a word – fugly

Again. Orange five.

mboy
    Free Member

Cokie YGM… Hopefully might be able to hell you out!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Cokie – Flare vs. T130 – you’re a lucky boy (assuming you’re a boy of course! sorry if you’re not) I’ve not ridden a Whyte, but know them to be great bikes from mates who have had them. It’s like choosing between Claudia Schiffer and Elle McPherson (I grew up in the ’80’s!). I think either way you won’t be dissapointed.

cokie

So, ended up with this, a Whyte T130 RS with Pikes upped to 140mm, tubeless & some wide Burgtec bars. Mboy from The Missing Link Cycles in Droitwhich sorted this for me within a day and even travelled to drop it off! It’s the last ’16 in the country. Personally I prefer the spec over the ’17 version.

Took it out for a spin and it was exactly what I wanted. Feels like a T129, but more nimble and easier to play around on. Was nice being on something that felt so familiar, but better.

honourablegeorge

That’s a very nice bike indeed. Except for the colour matched Pike decals – I hate colour matched Pike decals – actually, I jsut don’t like any Pike decals except blacked-out ones.

But again, now that I’m done nitpicking, it’s a lovely bike.

mboy
    Free Member

When you’re finished messing about on airfields, pop west to come and ride it on some proper trails! 8)

chakaping
    Free Member

You don’t hang about.

Good work, looks a great bike.

wrecker
    Free Member

That’s a very good looking bike. Enjoy!

cokie

Cheers all. Certainly not used to having Pink & matching decals..

Mboy, I’ll definitely try and take you up on that offer.

I had the same wheelset on my T129, and I’ve already noticed how much stiffer they are in 27.5” form, which I thought was interesting.

jambalaya
    Free Member

We love an update. Happy riding.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Stuck on next bike.. Cotic Flare/Rocket, Orange five or Whyte T130/G160’ is closed to new replies.