Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Stuck eagle cassette
  • ogden
    Free Member

I can’t get the cassette of the hub on my dt swiss E1900 wheels. It spins like it’s going to loosen for a bit but doesn’t get any looser and then tightens back up again before making a ping. Anyone got any ideas?

daver27
    Free Member

Had this on a set of DT Swiss hubs and an old xx1 11 speed cassette. Essentially the spline where I put the tool in to unscrew just disintegrated. Leaving me with a cassette stuck on the freehub.
    Had to break out the Dremel and cut the cassette into small pieces to remove it, then very carefully cut through the screw on sleeve till it cracked, without cutting all the way through into the freehub.
    Was a right ballache.
    SRAM XD is such a stupid system, just to get a 10speed cog in there, you only find out it wasn’t installed properly when it comes to replace normally.

ogden
    Free Member

The spline where the tool goes in is fine, so I’m not sure its the same problem?

It’s odd because you’d think that the thread on the freehub must have cross threaded but it doesn’t really loosen and it tightens back up fine. It’s a right pain because the end cap has a flange so I cant even pull that off and remove the freehub and cassette as one.

bigyan
    Free Member

If it is un threaded fully but still stuck you can use a gear puller/2 leg puller to pull it off, you might need to put a crank bolt/socket or similar on the end of the axle or endcap.

If you can remove the freehub and cassette as an assembly you can put a socket on the workbench, then put the freehub on the socket and push down on the cassette to press it off, or use a hub support and hammer to knock it off.

If you undo the cassette until it clicks it should be unthreaded, the click is it jumping over the start of the thread.

bigfoot
    Free Member

i’ve had that with e1900 and the shit hub they come with. first one it stripped and got replaced under warrenty, since then been more carefull and remove the freehub and cassette as one once i’ve cracked it of. then i undo it until it tightens up then tap the endcap with a rubber hammer, undo a little more then tap again and so on until the frrehub ends up flying out the back of the cassette.
    always assemble with plenty of grease or anti sieze but that doewsn’t seem to make any differance. never had any problem with it on my hope hubs on the other bike.

just noticed your last comment, grab the cassette and pull, the whole lot will come of, the endcap makes no differance.

vincienup
    Free Member

Are you not supposed to have the endcap off before trying to use the cassette tool to get full engagement? I know you are with Hope and can seriously eff things up if you don’t.

Poopscoop

Just to say, never had a problem with the XD driver/Eagle on Hopes.

I think it’s a pretty good design to be honest, XD.

vincienup
    Free Member

My only issues with XD on Hope were before I realised I needed to remove the endcap and that the XD endcap was shorter than the standard but not so much that you’d notice it if they were mixed up. I also discovered that the issues it causes can easily be misdiagnosed as having lost the washer from behind the free hub body…

ogden
    Free Member

No, there is a flange on the DT Swiss end cap that keeps it under the cassette.

Maybe I’ve not explained it well enough. So I can get the cassette tool in fully no problem but when I start to turn the tool the it turns but the cassette doesn’t loosen/move/free/unthread if that makes sense. I can maybe turn the tool a couple of revolutions before it starts to feel like its going tight again and then it’ll make a ping; It never feels like its coming off the free hub.

It’s weird because if the threads were cross threaded you wouldn’t think I’d be able to tighten it back up again.

I think its might be a cut the cassette off jobbie when its worn out or the bearings go 🙁

TBH i’d be happier saving the cassette than the hub.

hot_fiat

Reckon the ping noise might be the lock ring going over the thread starts. When you get to that point have you tried hauling on the end cap? Sounds like that might be stuck on the axle and preventing the cassette coming off.

bigfoot
    Free Member

try what i suggested, like i say it works for me and your problem sounds exactly the same apart from the ping noise, i dont turn it as far now after stipping the threads on my first freehub.

ogden
    Free Member

Hi Bigfoot, I tried it and the cassette starts to go wonky on the hub, is this what happened with you? Not sure if I should continue.

bigfoot
    Free Member

never noticed that happening, i just turned a bit then tapped the end cap, turned a bit, tapped again and so on untill it flew apart.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

cassette starts to go wonky on the hub.

Fairly odds on the thread is knackered then.

bowglie

I had exactly the same problem with a DT Spline One rear wheel (240 based hub). Just couldn’t work out what was going on – assumed it was cross threaded.  I’m a serial wheel & cassette swapper, so use plenty of anti seize – and have never had any problems with XD cassettes on Hope, DT or Mavic wheels.  I got so pi**ed off, I decided to just leave the cassette on – so I tightened it back up.  Next morning I thought I’d have one last go at unscrewing the cassette, so gave the threads and cassette barrel a good soaking with WD40, and it came off without any problem! Can’t explain why this retightening worked, but it might be worth a go if you’ve not already tried it.

HTH

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Stuck eagle cassette’ is closed to new replies.