Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Stuck cleats
  • mayan
    Free Member

The cleats in my Shimano winter boots are worn out, and stuck tight.
    So, I drilled off the bolt heads, with the plan to remove the plate together with the rusted stuck bolts from the inside of the shoe and replace with shiny new plate, bolts and cleats.
    However, the inside of the shoe seems to be complete sealed – part of the waterproofing I presume.
    So, it now looks like I have a pretty useless pair of winter boots…

Does anyone know if I can access the metal plate from the inside without trashing the shoes completely?
    Or, any cunning ideas for removing the bolt nubs (approx 0.5 cm tall, rusted into the plate) from the plate so I can re-use the same plate?

ajantom

use a reverse thread screw remover. Drill a small pilot hole in the stuck bolt, and then screw in the screw extractor. Should pull it out ok.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Can you not get some grips on the stub of the screw?

scotroutes

Most cleat nuts have four holes. Can you not slide them along and use the other two?

Dibbs
    Free Member

With the heads and cleats gone there should be enough thread sticking out to allow you to grip with a good pair of Mole grips. You should be able to unscrew them, I find they come out quite easily once the heads are gone and the tension is released.
    If you do the job again, before you do anything else give the cleats and bolts a good beating with a hammer, it helps break the grip of any rust and sometimes is enough to allow the screws to undo.

Dibbs
    Free Member

And don’t forget the Copper Slip on the screw threads when you fit the new ones.

mayan
    Free Member

I can get a pair of pliers to grip the bolts, but they’re not moving. Currently squirting them with WD40 every time I walk past them.

I tried smacking them, before and after I drilled the heads off. Wondered about heating them, but I think I would melt the shoe.

There are a spare set of bolt holes, and that is my last resort – i think to be able to use them i would need to get rid of the bolt stubs in the other holes. Plus the cleats would be in the wrong position. Which admittedly would be better than throwing the shoes away.

I think the reverse thread extractor is my next plan…

(and I greased the bolts very thoroughly before I fitted them….but that was probably five years ago….do people remove, clean and re-fit them periodically???)

neilwheel
    Free Member

Just let them soak for a bit, maybe a few days, if you twist off the stub you’re stuck. You do want to use mole grips really.

As a last resort you can cut the insole and then glue it back in place after. The level of waterproof success will depend on your cutting and gluing skills.

After fitting the new cleats fill the rest of the slots with a soft sealant so that water can’t get up behind the cleat plate.

avdave2

I’d get some penetrating oil rather than WD40, I’ve found it works a lot better.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I can get a pair of pliers to grip the bolts

Mole Grips apply more leverage and clamp in place, they will have a much better chance than pliers. If the bolts still aren’t moving they can be carefully drilled out with a smaller drill.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Stuck cleats’ is closed to new replies.