Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • stuck cinch crank – hammertime?
  • ferrals
    Free Member

Raceface turbine cinch crank. In theory should just unscrew on drive side (standard left-loose direction) and pull off.

I can’t budge the allen bolt at all, even with park tool long handled allen key. Am I missing some thing stupid or does it require a massive amount of force? If so would it be stupid to use a hammer to ‘shock’ it loose?

otsdr
    Free Member

If it wasn’t greased, it might have seized. Have you undone the preload adjuster? (not that it should make a big difference)

ferrals
    Free Member

No, didn’t undo preload, but will give that a go.

Last time it was taken off was by a LBS when new PF BB fitted so I imagine/hope was greased.

If seized, wd-40 overnight and a hammer?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Big hammer!

If it’s anything like the other RF cranks, once they’re stuck, they’re stuck.

Breaker bar and allen head attachment may be required, possible heat too, plusgas is a good idea before all of that.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

When I took mine off to replace the chainring, I heaved on it and thought it was stuck too…..it was almost ‘f##k it…’ Before it came loose. Really tight. Don’t forget that you need a crank extractor to remove the arm too….it doesn’t just pull off easy.

rickon
    Free Member

I generally just use a hammer to start with. Much easier to to get it to budge and then unscrew as normal. Youll have put it on with a lot of Newtons, so will need a lot to get it undone.

ferrals
    Free Member

If it’s anything like the other RF cranks, once they’re stuck, they’re stuck.

Dont like the sound of that!

Hammer/bar time it is!!

ferrals
    Free Member

Ended up coming off easily, I just zip tied the long handled Allen key to a handy 4ft bar of galv., stood on the pedal and pushed!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘stuck cinch crank – hammertime?’ is closed to new replies.