Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Stuborn cassette
  • soma_rich
    Free Member

I cant get it off. I have tried everything. Usually not defeated by mechanical bits but I am loosing knuckles here!

Help any tips?

peteimpreza

I take it you have the lock ring off or is that the problem?

chvck
    Free Member

Is it stick on the freehub? When mine did that I just jiggled it side to side as much as possible and then left it as far as poss to the opposite side it had been at the start, then took a big hammer to it

soma_rich
    Free Member

NO its the lockring wont budge I have bent my chain whip now 🙁

chvck
    Free Member

🙁 maybe stick the cassette in a vice and get a massive tube to place over the wrench or whatever your using?

geoffj

Kettle of boiling water.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Large flat head screw driver down behind biggest ring and hub and twist. If its a pro2 you can get a smaller flat head in the end of the free hub grooves and twist. Remember to shout at the same time as twisting " come on ya f…… b…… c…" Should work.
    Beat me to it. Lock ring eh. Long bar on the ends of chain whip and ratchet and shouting.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Maybe Pedros has the answer.

jonb
    Free Member

When I had this problem (on a new bike!) I took it to the LBS and their solution was a bigger spanner and even bigger chainwhip. It's is normally just a case of force (and turning it the right way).

andrewh
    Free Member

I use an oil-filter wrench rather a chain-wip. More chain in contact with the sprockets as there is loads of it results in a tighter hold. (also £15 cheaper than a chain wip) Really massive spanner helps too.If you are anywhere near Cardiff you can borrow my 18-inch long adjustable (I don't live in Cardiff, but lent it some time ago to someone who does and keep meaning to get it back from him…)
    If your chain-wip has plenty of grip put your cassette-tool face-up in bench vice and turn the whole wheel for extra leverage.

rich-6
    Free Member

I use a park tools chain whip and had to use an 18" breaker bar to remove a lockring once 😮

soma_rich
    Free Member

its stuck 🙁 maybe try boiler water tomorrow… I needed to sort this tonight though 🙁

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Stuborn cassette’ is closed to new replies.