Stuart Adamson remembered.

Home Forum Chat Forum Stuart Adamson remembered.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Stuart Adamson remembered.
  • Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

Died this day in 2001.
    [video]https://youtu.be/ieo7iXeRWEQ[/video]

I was talking to an older friend of mine here this morning who’s a fairly well-known session guitarist. He was a good pal of SAs.

He reminded me that a couple of days before that trip to the US, Stuart had been up to visit him, and had admitted that the trip was going to be on the edge for him financially. Ian (my friend) has a vast collection of excellent guitars, and they came to an arrangement- Stuart ‘traded’ him a guitar for some money, effectively a loan that he was going to repay when he got back. Ian would have gladly just given him the money, but Stuart wanted to do it this way.

They gave each other a hug and then Stuart set off. Of course, we know what happened next. I think with hindsight Stuart knew exactly what might be happening, but of course we’ll never know. Poor lad πŸ™

shifter

I’m a fan, Skids was my first proper gig, saw Big Country many times but, WTH is that song about??

mcmoonter

I grew up in Fife as the Skids emerged, Stuart Adamson was Dynamo behind the band.

I was included among a photographic portrait exhibition of Creative Fifers a year or so back. RIchard Jobson was also included. I asked the photographer what he was like to work with as a sitter. He said he was a cock. When asked if he could raise a smile he replied, Nae chance, I’m a serious actor

hodgynd

Loved Big Country ..only saw them once supporting Bowie at Sunderland’s Roker Park ground ..and to my mind they blew Bowie away.
    I’ve never felt the kind of vibration Tony Butler’s bass made that night ..it seemed to come from the stage travel underground and enter your body via your boots .immense !
    It was and still is a sad loss .. The Crossing is still one of my favourite albums ..

Premier Icon NZCol
    Subscriber

Absolute legend and I still wonder what could have been. Had the absolute pleasure of playing with them once at a school fundraiser, my music teacher was in the Skids. The Crossing still ranks as my number 1 album. When i’m needing something i stick Inwards on and enjoy. PLay a tune and remember and enormous loss.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Skids were great. Very original, instantly recognisable by that amazing guitar sound and Jobson’s vocals.

Couldn’t stand Big Country. Stuart wasn’t a singer.

Premier Icon Davesport
    Subscriber

Never forgotten. Big Country “In a Big Country” over the PA at Knockhill race circuit.

onlysteel

Some lads I knew at Uni also knew Jobson. Had a very similar view of him as McMoonters post. Personally his vocals got on my t!ts, but what a guitar sound. Unmistakable.

6079smithw

Big Country in their pomp were the equal of any band.

[video]https://youtu.be/XAfilBNO940[/video]

cheviots

Big Country was my first ever gig, saw them many times over the years & always enjoyed their shows.
    Often think about Stuart & coincidentally listened to “Buffalo Skinner’s” & “Come Up Screaming” just this past week.
    Sadly missed.

shermer75

Huge talent, always liked the Skids

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCiWXktdyTQ[/video]

Big fan . Saw them a few times . Once in Camden Palace with Cockney Rebel which was ace in a small venue.
    Really like the emotion behind many of the tracks. To me, they seem to have the ability to keep your interest in the songs by enthralling rifts and exquisit drumming . Bruce Springstein does the same with tracks like Philadelphia and Born in the Usa.
    Eiledon and Where the Rose is Sown are great songs , imo .

duckman

Grew up with them, was always a fan and saw them probably a dozen times. Steeltown got me into History, something I ended up with a degree in!
    “Oh no; where did the feeling go?” Is one of the saddest lines I have ever heard sung.
    RIP Stuart.

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

He reminded me that a couple of days before that trip to the US, Stuart had been up to visit him, and had admitted that the trip was going to be on the edge for him financially. Ian (my friend) has a vast collection of excellent guitars, and they came to an arrangement- Stuart ‘traded’ him a guitar for some money, effectively a loan that he was going to repay when he got back. Ian would have gladly just given him the money, but

SA had lived in the US for several years before his death, hadn’t he?

oldmanmtb

Part of my youth sawt them many times

Premier Icon MartynS
    Subscriber

Restless natives
    Elidon
    Inwards
    The seer
    The teacher
    Just a shadow

I won’t go on… just brilliant. Never saw them live.
    Must dig out some CDs. Not listened to them in ages.. a trip to Scotland is coming up. Might have to press play as we cross the border!

Premier Icon senor j
    Subscriber

Into the valley is immense IMO .
    As a young boy I loved the first two big country albums .
    I got to see them loads ,highlights include at the barrow-lands,Newcastle city hall & at a “secret” gig at the Mayfair. The wonder stuff supported that night ,which opened me up to a new chapter of alternative music .
    I was in the George robey (toilet pub venue on Finsbury Park ) once ,
    Stuart and the rest of the band were there having post studio drinks – I stood next to him like a love struck teenager . Ha.

IdleJon – Member
    SA had lived in the US for several years before his death, hadn’t he?

Yeah, off and on. Still had family in Scotland.

hodgynd

Ahh ..The Mayfair ..what Friday night’s were made for 8)

oldmanmtb

Newcastle Mayfair changed my life many times – the Clash Safe European Home… ****ing biblical.. get goosebumps even though it was nearly 40 years ago.

Saw U2 there must have been 81 ish

oldmanmtb

Talking of the skids I liked the stuff Richard Jobson did in the Armoury Show

hodgynd

Oldman ..could well have been passing strangers ..
    ACDC(Bon Scott)..Lizzy (Vagabonds tour).. SAHB..White Heat ..even Hamilton Bohannon ffs ..hardly missed a Friday night for years ..never saw U2 though !

Premier Icon senor j
    Subscriber

Off topic , sorry op, but he beat gif at the Mayfair ever! was Jane’s Addiction. Oh yes.
    πŸ™‚

oldmanmtb

Hofgynd always wanted to see Lizzie saw Stiff Little Fingers The Alarm and loads of others

Premier Icon senor j
    Subscriber

Beat gif =best gig! Oops . Soz.

hodgynd

My apologies to the OP too for the slight thread hi-jack ..
    Lizzy got loads better obviously ..this was in the very early days when Eric Bell was the lead guitarist ..myself and god knows how many others got backstage afterwards for a signed ” Vagabonds Of The Western World “tour poster and a quick few words ..I was a little star struck and could only muster ” great gig ” to Phil..and got a “Thanks Man “..in return.
    That poster got lost years ago which still rankles with me to this day ..
    Senor J ..wont argue with you Perry Farrell is a great frontman ( wasn’t there myself )

Stuart Adamson , Legend, gone way too soon. great story Cody saw them live in 83 Lanc uni , with a great cycling friend who is no longer with us as green as grass 16yr olds,then many more times DezB Stuart can`t sing??

Loved Big Country ..only saw them once supporting Bowie at Sunderland’s Roker Park ground

Ah yes, that gig when Bowie bounded on stage and shouted “Good evening Newcastle”…

hodgynd

Made my night that did .. πŸ˜†

Premier Icon guitarhero
    Subscriber

Massive band for me in the 80s. Didn’t listen to them for years and then heard Driving to Damascus a couple of years ago and it was every bit as good as the early stuff. Big loss.
    Making a playlist for tomorrow’s riding road trip.

guitarhero , save Porrohman for a long tough climb, it will be a breeze!!

hodgynd

My favourite track from The Crossing ..

Premier Icon NZCol
    Subscriber

Been at the pub, came gone to a dram and The Storm. Sheesh.

Premier Icon midlifecrashes
    Subscriber

What a talent.

I was lucky enough to see Big Country a few times, Nottingham was great, and Coatham Bowl absolutely stunning. Managed to blah tickets or The Tube in Newcastle in 83, The Undertones, Big Country and U2 all played, then dashed down to Leeds in an Austin Maxi for the full U2 gig same night.

Listened to hundreds of albums and never found one that has has every song a minimum 9/10 like The Crossing, masterpiece

Premier Icon andy4d
    Subscriber

Is it really 16 years!!!!wow. Great talent. The skids were before my time but i really enjoyed a good Big Country gig back in the day.

stanfree

I loved BC and Stuart , my first gig was at the Edinburgh playhouse around 1987. As others have said ‘The Crossing’ is one of the great albums. I think I still have the original blue edition. Sadly missed I remember hearing the news and feeling crushed. I think for me Porrohman and come back to me are the most poignant tracks they ever did. Loved the check shirts as well.

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

Loved the check shirts as well.

I had one for my birthday, summer 1984. I still remember sweating my backside off walking into town on the hottest day of the year wearing a thick, checked shirt. I can’t even say it was for fashion’s sake – like BC they were never fashionable. πŸ˜†

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.