Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Struggling to find suitable new forks
  • qtip

I’m in the market for some new forks for my Orange 5, but am struggling to choose. The biggest problem is that I need a 1 1/8th steerer which limits options somewhat:

Option 1 – keep current Pikes and get them serviced and (possibly) PUSHed. I quite like the Pikes, but they do pack down a bit on repeated hits. PUSHing would hopefully sort this but the cost is pretty high to upgrade old forks and as I am a fat knacker that is losing weight I’d worry that by getting the rebound custom tuned, I’d lose the adjustment I need in the long term.

Option 2 – Bos Deville 140s. Sound amazing but I don’t think the maximum air pressure would be enough to cope with my current 19st weight. Servicing/parts availability/customer service is also a concern.

Option 3 – 2014 Fox 32s. My current favourite option. It seem like they’ve overcome the linear spring rate of the 2013 CTD dampers which meant excessive diving, but is it worth the risk of getting a fork that hasn’t had any long-term tests?

Any thoughts or other suggestions?

jam-bo

i run Lyriks spaced down to 140mm.

qtip

Interesting option. If I get new forks I’d be getting them on finance though, so reluctant to have to buy them and then pay more to send them off for modification.

jam-bo

set of straight steerer revelations on the classifieds.

I_Ache
    Free Member

DPA Lyriks the 5 is fine with 160mm forks and the DPA drops them for the climbs.

qtip

Not heard good things about the reliability of the Rock Shox DPA forks though. Also, I think 140/150 is the sweet spot for travel on the 5.

br
    Free Member

At 19st what about a pair of air 36’s?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Really? Mine have been spot on. I did blow 2 2-step cartridges tho.

z1ppy

my current 19st weigh + 2014 Fox 32s = noodly!

qtip

Hmm, maybe I’m getting confused between the Dual Position air and the 2-step. Starting to come round to the idea of the Lyriks. I like the idea of being able to keep a 20mm axle too, 15mm is a stupid standard.

As for the 32s being noodly at my weight – this was a concern. I get on fine with a set of 2005 32 Vanillas with a QR axle on my hardtail but that’s just for XC duties and not really pushed that hard. I’d rather go for Lyriks than 36s due to service intervals (I was thinking of 32s due to the lack of new Revelations with 1 1/8″ steerers), and I’m a big fan of Rock Shox forks – my Pikes have served me well and I love my Totems.

osteo1
    Free Member

+1 Lyriks get coil Uturn or replace the DP/2Step with the uturn linkage… very easy and relatively inexpensive mod then you have infinite travel adjust-ability between your sweet spots (which definitely changes with terrain ridden – even on the holy 5)

munrobiker
    Free Member

Lyriks on my 5 too. They are spiffing- I used to have Pikes and there’s nothing that’s as stiff off the shelf these days.

Northwind

Not 32s IMO, I can feel them noodling about and I weigh about half what you do. Not terrible, but no reason to accept it when there’s better options.

I’d stick revs in it personally. Better damping than your Pikes, little bit less strong and stiff but not drastically. but you could go bigger, love my Lyriks and the Five’s the sort of 140mm bike that can conceivably use that sort of fork. (shortened, mind)

BillOddie

If you like Pikes and want something as stiff, do not get Revs…

I have both and the Pikes are miles stiffer.

gonzy
    Free Member

marzocchi 55cr…available with 1 1/8th steerer, 170 or 150mm travel, 35mm stanchions, 3 year no service guarantee, retail for £450…the 55r is also available in the same steerer size at £360 but is set at 160mm…prices are from merlin cycles

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Struggling to find suitable new forks’ is closed to new replies.