• This topic has 237 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by mrjmt.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 238 total)
  • STW Stronglifts 5×5 club
  • Duffer
    Free Member

I know there are a few people on here following this programme; how is everyone getting on?

I’m pretty chuffed at the minute, as I’ve managed to break a platau on the squat. I was stuck at 1.3xBW for ages, and just couldn’t get the form right any heavier, but i dropped the weight down and started working up again. Now I’m just below 1.4xBW and heading for my 1.5xBW goal.

I’m still making decent progress on the DL, but at all of the upper body stuff I’m terrible. Just never seem to make any decent progress.

BoardinBob

1.7 X BW with a target of 2 x

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Almost plateaued on squat.
    Most likely plateaued on OHP.
    Bench is getting close to de-load time
    New lease of life on db row after form check.
    Deadlift keeps on trucking!

All whilst on a cut. Taking a rest week this week to focus on squat form. Will deload 5% and come back!

OP, what did you do when you stalled? Just lift with bad form? Or did you de-load after the missed workouts?

el_boufador

1.2bw on squat, going up slowly. Over the summer I’m focussing more on riding though, only squatting once a week (lifting twice a week, no squat s on dl day). In the autumn I’m planning on doing more lifting.

I’ve been pleased with my progress on BP recently. Smashed a plateau, going up in weight weekly.

Duffer
    Free Member

OP, what did you do when you stalled? Just lift with bad form? Or did you de-load after the missed workouts?

I’ll admit to being a little ill-disciplined with the deloads. I don’t wait until I’ve failed a set three times, as the programme prescribes. I’ve never actually failed a rep on the SQ, as i train on my own and I’m worried about having to dump the bar (even in rack).

Instead i deload when my form breaks down; I’m limited by my ankle mobility (among other things) so i end up leaning forward too much. Once that happens i lower the weight and concentrate on the form.

Its been a slow process, but I’m getting somewhere now.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m doing it. It only recently got hard around 1xBW for squat. I’m only doing it to see if it helps weight loss and cycling though. Doesn’t seem to help with the former, and is rather hard whilst dieting I find.

renton
    Free Member

Excuse my ignorance but what does bw mean ?

j4mesj4mes
    Free Member

body weight

Duffer
    Free Member

People often refer to the weight they lift in relation to their own Body Weight (BW). The numbers in isolation are not really relevant, as for example someone with a 50kg body weight lifting 100kg is much greater an achievement than someone with a 100kg body weight lifting the same.

It also makes it less about Willy waving…

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Don’t follow strong lifts, i do 5×3, 2.5 x bodyweight deadlift and 1.5 x bodyweight squat ass to grass.
    Deficit deadlifts are good for breaking plateaus, i don’t bother deloading just knock em on the head for a few weeks while doing other stuff.
    Calisthenics is another way of creating monster strength, i know guys who squat big but can’t do a pistol or shrimp squat.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Good thread, I’m not on it anymore but will return to it when its winter and I cant ride. Cycling lots now in summer and the squats are too much, just doing maintenance training twice a week. Really got on well with the bench press / shoulder press part, leads to great progress I reckon

footflaps

Calisthenics is another way of creating monster strength, i know guys who squat big but can’t do a pistol or shrimp squat.

Just got this (SLS/Pistol) the other week after following Gymnastic Bodies SLS program, been on my to do list for years, but never got round to it before…

Still haven’t got the ankle flexibility to do it barefoot, need about 1cm heal lift to be stable at the bottom position. Another few weeks and it’ll be there.

Duffer
    Free Member

Does anyone practice dumping the bar on the Squat? I’m always intimidated by the thought of getting stuck at the bottom and having to dump the bar.

footflaps

Does anyone practice dumping the bar on the Squat?

Nope, last time I had to ditch a bar, it cost me £200. I was doing box squats and the bar folded over the box and was completely banana-ed as a result…..

chiefgrooveguru

I will join this but I’m working my way back to normally after spraining my AC joint a few weeks ago – however, I credit my amateurish powerlifting over the last 18 months for my shoulder holding together pretty damned well considering the violence of the crash!

It’s been an interesting journey so far, trying to fix the issues limiting me, which mostly stem from an broken and pinned ankle which doesn’t have full mobility and puts odd loads on the knee and hip. I’ll get there though! I’m not doing the exact 5×5 programme but I am doing 5×5 on the three main lifts.

corundum
    Free Member

Does anyone practice dumping the bar on the Squat?

If your lifting heavy enough to have to dump the bar whilst in the hole, would it not be good practice to squat in a proper rack with safety bars or slings? This would alleviate the need for you to dump the bar.

Duffer
    Free Member

would it not be good practice to squat in a proper rack

That’s exactly my point; I do squat in a rack, but the thought of having to drop the bar still intimidates me. I’m getting close to 1.5xBW and I’ve never got stuck at the bottom yet. But that day must be coming!

teasel
    Free Member

the thought of having to drop the bar still intimidates me.

Then just go ahead and lower it onto the ‘spotter’ as a practice/mind easing – easy if it’s set at the correct height. You don’t have to drop the thing!

I’ve been stuck once and just gently lowered it and crawled out.

footflaps

Simple solution is don’t lift close to your max without someone spotting you or using a power cage etc.

I always ask for a spot if I’m pushing it; you also get good feedback on your form as someone can tell you what your knees / back are up to when you’re grinding at the limit.

stick_man

Good progress there duffer

Slightly off thread but I’d be interested to hear what people are getting g out of their weight lifting aside from the numbers.

Is it the discipline itself, improving technique or body shape / appearance, or maybe good for the mind?

For me it’s probably all these things, I used a PT for 10 hourly sessions last autumn so I could get an idea of good technique and make sense of reps, set etc. In my mid forties I’ve come to really enjoy lifting for the first time, something of a sanctuary from the world which I can do whatever the weather, any time the gyms open. Helps to keep me relatively sane.

teasel
    Free Member

Slightly off thread but I’d be interested to hear what people are getting g out of their weight lifting aside from the numbers.

For me it’s the strength gain that is easily translated into everyday tasks if you have outside type of chores to do. Logs, slabs or anything heavy become almost effortless to deadlift from the ground, and with safety as you’ve trained your body to lock in that situation.

Defeating the aches and pains of age. All but eliminated the getting up groan most guys in their late forties and fifties suffer from.

Body building takes a lot of time and dedication and is something I’m leaning towards at present. Not really big, just lean and usable muscle.

I have a home gym* so it’s all really easy for me to crack on with a session, get washed up, eat and get on. Same as the hill sprinting stuff – right outside my door, straight into the sprints. Crawl back in afterwards.

Helps to keep me relatively sane.

Most importantly this.

*Not as flash as it sounds

Edit : Also, the fixing and correction of longterm injuries. I would never have had weightlifting down as useful for that until a few years ago.

el_boufador

what do I get out of it? What teasel said. Really helps having a home gym, in terms of time-efficiency.
    I have so much more power on the bike, when I need it too.

footflaps

I used a PT for 10 hourly sessions last autumn so I could get an idea of good technique and make sense of reps, set etc

I see a PT for an hour a week. Great value for money IMO, he really picks me up on technique which keeps me honest. He also makes me do all the stuff I don’t like, mainly single leg exercises, which are necessary to keep symmetric in strength.

I’m tempted to also start seeing another PT once a week to work on bodyweight / gymnastic stuff…

teasel
    Free Member

He also makes me do all the stuff I don’t like

I have my self loathing for that.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I do squat in a rack, but the thought of having to drop the bar still intimidates me.

Dumping the bar in a rack is absolutely no problem at all. Practice it with the bar or bar + 1 plate, lose the fear.

Without a rack, you’re either in a perfectly clear area with lots of space around and a floor capable of being dumped on (in which case dumping the bar is again no real problem), or you’re foolish… Never lift without the option to bail at any point.

plyphon
    Free Member

So interestingly, two of the biggest fitness related Reddit subs have dropped 5×5 SS and Stronglifts from their recommended beginner routines.

I am now following PHUL myself, having plateaued with SL a long time ago.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

What do you get out of it?

I have very poor upper body strength and weak joints. Strength training helps with that. Plus, it’s nice to see the numbers go up!

In the winter it keeps me active. Shit weather and you don’t want to ride? Just work out instead.

There’s also a friend I ride with who I can now deadlift more than for reps. So there’s also a bit of willy waving to be done.

Really helps with the hike a bikes too. I’m no better at riding but I can carry my bike up or down a hill much better now

craig24
    Free Member

I was following Stronglifts for quite a while and got alot stronger. The only negative I found was that I couldn’t pedal for long at all. I’ve now changed my workout to 2 x full body workouts per week and will go back to 3 in winter if I don’t get out on the bike as much.

2 x Full body – Following same progression as Stronglifts

Workout A
    Deadlift 3×8
    Bench Press 3×8
    Barbell Shoulder Press 3×8
    T Bar Row 3×8
    Pull Ups 3x

Workout B
    Squats 3×8
    Bench Press 3×8
    Barbell Shoulder Press 3×8
    T Bar Row 3×8
    Pull Ups 3x

chiefgrooveguru

First shoulder rehab session in the gym today. Didn’t go too bad – had a go on the leg press as I can’t squat or deadlift at the moment.

Duffer
    Free Member

I’d be interested to hear what people are getting g out of their weight lifting aside from the numbers

I was doing a lot of long distance trail running, which I really enjoy (although I’m terrible at). This time last year I moved from somewhere with great trails from the doorstep (within 15 minutes of trail running from the door and I’d be in a nature reserve), to somewhere with no decent trails at all. I really can’t stand running on roads.

So I was on the lookout for something new to replace the running, and fancied trying out some strength training, to possibly help my singlespeeding. Turns out I really enjoy it!

I need something phys-related to keep the brain in the right place, and that’s my primary motivation. I really didn’t consider the prospect of gaining muscle / size, but it’s been quite noticeable (especially across the shoulders / back).

footflaps

First shoulder rehab session in the gym today.

What did you do to it?

chiefgrooveguru

What did you do to it?

A hidden rut on a fast narrow trail spat me over the bars at 24mph, landing on my shoulder and hip and head (in that order). Bike ended up in a tree. Possibly the most violent crash I’ve ever had – felt sick with the pain an shock. Thought I was just very badly bruised but it turns out I popped my AC joint.

footflaps

ouch!

teasel
    Free Member

Just got this (SLS/Pistol) the other week after following Gymnastic Bodies SLS program, been on my to do list for years, but never got round to it before…

Someone suggested them on this forum last year at some point and I had a crack… and failed spectacularly. I don’t know what happened between now and then but I had a go yesterday evening and nailed 4 good reps with the left leg but only two before the knee wanted to buckle inward on the right leg. On rough ground, too!

I was quite chuffed even if it was only four.

footflaps

I had a go yesterday evening and nailed 4 good reps with the left leg but only two before the knee wanted to buckle inward on the right leg.

I can get 5+ on my right leg. 3 is the max I’ve managed on my left leg so far and only if I’m really fresh. Any tiredness e.g. from squats, means I’m lucky to get one out of my left leg as my Glute is just too tired to get me out of the hole. Still only 2/3 way through GB SLS progressions, so I’m not supposed to have it yet….

and I had a crack..

How far did you get with the rest of Foundation?

teasel
    Free Member

How far did you get with the rest of Foundation?

I see how you thought that from what I wrote – but no, I didn’t follow the GB SLS system you mention, just thought I’d have a go at the squats out of idle curiosity because they looked challenging when I googled the exercise. And by fail I mean I either couldn’t drop enough to consider it a squat or dropped and couldn’t get out of the hole, as you put it. The recent attempt was a great success, much to my surprise. I guess the other stuff I’m doing is building more strength than I thought.

I should probably look at addressing the unbalance in my glutes. I have an old injury in that area so perhaps that’s the issue. Maybe it’s time to find a PT.

chiefgrooveguru

I’m finally coming to terms with the fact that I can’t go back to squatting and deadlifting with any serious weight or full depth until I get my right ankle mobility sorted. I have a chain of problems up my right hand side due to its limited dorsiflexion (I broke it badly at Xmas 2010 – spiral fracture of the fibular and chipped tibia – had to have an ORIF and there’s a plate and seven screws in there).

The main exercise I’m doing is a banded stretch with my foot on a step and the band pulling my heel down and back so as I move the knee forwards the ankle has to do all the rotation, no foot flexion helping out. Any advice from any sufferers appreciated but I realise it’s a fairly niche problem.

So far its cause patella misalignment and a bursa on my knee and more recently it’s causing some nasty knots and spasms around the SI joint.

footflaps

The Gymnastics Bodies exercise for increasing dorsiflexion is Deck Squats.

The movement shown in the video is the full range version, which required good dorsiflexion in the ankles.

Begin by rolling back onto a pile of mats at a height that you can comfortably return to your feet ie upright without having to really kick your legs to gain momentum. If you look at the guy in the video, he’s keeping a nice tuck on the return. Over the weeks you slowly reduce the height of the mats as your ankle mobility improves…

Do five sets of 10 reps 2-3 a week….

chiefgrooveguru

I’ll see if I can find a way of doing them – might have to take the cushions off the sofa! Been doing banded calf stretches, knee to wall stretches, pistol squats whilst holding onto straps and kneeling to get them in max plantar flexion too.

Did some rack pulls yesterday and shoulder felt good. Keeping away from bench and shoulder presses because they’re not so nice whilst the AC joint is still unstable. Going to try some farmer’s walks today as I’ve read they help (and I perversely enjoy them!)

footflaps

Going to try some farmer’s walks today as I’ve read they help (and I perversely enjoy them!)

pulling is generally easier than pushing with duff shoulders….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 238 total)

The topic ‘STW Stronglifts 5×5 club’ is closed to new replies.