Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Strong stiff road wheels
  • jacob46
    Free Member

I currently have

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/15273/mavic-ksyrium-elite-s-700c-clincher-road-wheel

They are good for the money but being 95kg i get a vibration from the rear when out of the saddle going up hill. Its obviously the spokes bending and vibrating.

I wouldnt mind having an a full aero wheel on the back. Any recommendations on upgrade?

cannondaleking
    Free Member

I have a set of archetype rims in black laced to a set of Aivee SR 1 red hubs 28/24h I built up for a customer that changed his mind due to a lack of over time I could let go a bit cheaper than they should be if your interes drop me a mail dude

jacob46
    Free Member

Will do cheers.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hatter

I’m well over 100 kg. Currently running DT 511 rims on 350 hubs, they’re not light especially in 32h, but they have a nice semi-aero profile and so far they seem too be damn near indestructible.

djflexure

I’m 90kg and run 32 sp f&R. DT 440 (asymmetric rear) on DT 240.
    Nice wheels, no discernible vibration.

jam-bo

Its obviously the spokes bending and vibrating.

Really?

jacob46
    Free Member

Yes really!!

Unless you can think of anything else clever one.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Stretching maybe, not bending and vibrating, clever one.

simondbarnes

I’m 95kg and have no issues at all with noise /flex / rubbing from my Ksyrium Elite S wheels. Maybe you have other issues?

jam-bo

I wouldn’t expect a £500 wheelset to flex much, I have the cheaper aksiums and have never noticed any flex.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheap heavy wheels don’t flex much. This is a surprise?

What about superlight £500 wheels? No flex?

jam-bo

In that case, get aksiums..

jacob46
    Free Member

H plus son SL42 aero rims laced to the Aivee SR5 hubs with DT Swiss revolution spokes.

From Daniel

http://handcraftedwheels.co.uk/

Nice genuine honest guy.

amedias
    Free Member

If you wan’t off the peg then I can’t offer much in the way of otgher suggestions, having said that most factory wheels with a decent number of spokes should be more than adequate stiffness wise but…

If you have genuine issues with wheel *flex due to you weight and/or power then I suggest you phone some local or not so local wheel builders and discuss requirements with them, they will be able to build you a suitable set of wheels, to your budget and needs**.

I’m also not convinced on the merits of a single aero wheel, especially on the back…

* rule out other things first, frame, skewers, other fault with your current wheels etc. it’s really not clear what you mean by a vibration, do you mean a resonant wobble/shimmy? rubbing on the brake blocks? something else?

** listen to them, they build hundreds or thousands of wheels for different uses, they have experience of what works and what doesn’t, too often people demand an incompatible set of requirements

ie: must be super strong, stiffest wheels ever, but want 8 spokes and <1300gm, and all for tuppence.

You should tailor your wheels to your needs, if you need super strong then look at heavier rims and lots of spokes, if you need super stiff then look at your spoke profile choices (and number) and hub flange diameter etc. weight may be the compromise, or if you must have super light then you will need to compromise elsewhere.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Please excuse the poor website I can’t remember the login or password and most of my updates and info goes into the Facebook page https://m.facebook.com/HandCraftedWheels.co.uk/

sandwicheater

Snigger, stiff.

pnik

Not sure how it helps but similar weight, and my aksiums flexed loads under load, rubbed brakes when honking up short climbs etc. Sold them on reverted to old vaguely round shimano r500s no problem since, although to be fair road bike hasnt been off the turbo in a year.

techsmechs
    Free Member

Most of the Mavic sponsored pro riders use that wheel and many have raced early season on them so I cant see its the wheel.

(just for reference, I’ve been close to your weight on those wheels)

What frame is it in?
    What QR lever are you using?

xyeti
    Free Member

OH Lord, i really like those Ringle Bubba hubs and those Ally nipples in Blue on That liknk above from HCW 💡

TiRed

Some 32 hole Mavic CXP33 rims with whatever hubs you fancy and Sapim Race spokes (or aero X-ray if you must). Your wheels will never flex again. Very popular choice in the US for larger riders.

I ride 24 hole on Dura Ace, but I am only 2/3 rds you.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Cheers XYETI been doing wheel builds for the retro boys/girls for a while now. Just wish I had more time to put pics up more regularly been some right sexy stuff in my jigs in the last two months.

jacob46
    Free Member

What the hell is cynic-al on about? Whats your weight?

Thanks Pnik

jacob46
    Free Member

Jam-bo listen to pnik.

Jam-bo how heavy are you? Dont tell me 11 stone.

xyeti
    Free Member

Cannondaleking, have you had any of the Turquoise CK Hubs through yet?

I’d like to match some up with some DT turquoise Nipples, although these would be ally, would they be strong enough?
    32 Hole, not decided or rim yet?

Think it’s best if I ring……

jacob46
    Free Member

techsmechs
    Specialized Tarmac SL4 carbon frame.

Ill have a look at QR tomorrow.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

XYETI there isn’t much colour difference between the CK and DT turquoise dude and I know someone is going to say alu nips are ticking time bombs but that is completely untrue if built right and they also have the same tensile strength as the nickel coated brass nips.

If anyone wants to argue the point of alu nips being evil and weak or what ever feel free I’m not listening lol.

bigrich

mavic cosmic carbone sle. I’m 105 ish kg and I’ve done 4500km on them.

mega sales on them at the moment because apparently lightweights get sidewind. not a problem!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Strong stiff road wheels’ is closed to new replies.