Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Strong buggies
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Okay our my3 buggy thing has been good overall but it's made of balsa wood and has the crappest wheels I have ever seen – so punctures are a regular occurence. It's also now very flexy.

Are there any brands apart from Phil and Teds that use proper steel frames and decent (non plastic) wheels?

No.2 is on the way but no.1 needs something stronger (he's now 14kgs). Even Bugaboos look weak.

Must fold properly, have tyres that are either solid or robust and preferably have metal wheels. I plan to make the next buggy tubeless if I can!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ohh Matt! After all you had to say about expensive buggies and how your cheap one was fine too!

But look at the out n about 360 – pretty cheap and seemingly very well made.

TheDTs
    Free Member

We got a landrover from my sister, brilliant three wheeler, fixed front wheel take it anywhere. It lasted her three kids. They are not made anymore but have a look on ebay, some parts are still available online if required.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

MF – but the much shouted about Bugaboos are also made of plastic and cheese.

Mountain buggies are strong but too massively bulky.

I just hate badly made plastic wheels and low rent tyres which 95% of buggies seem to have.

Will check out that model you suggest. For under a year old, the my3 is brilliant. For over 1 it's just too flimsy as are most buggies it seems.

Aristotle
    Free Member

We too have a My3.

I used some old mtb inner tube rubber as tyre liners and added Inner tube slime. No unwanted deflations so far <Fingers crossed> and they should hopefully re-inflate with the pump if it does happen.

The chassis is not strong -the base of the handle, especially when extended, is a a weak-point.

Despite having never taken it anywhere more gnarly than the Trafford Centre, your honour,(c.f. "I was just riding along"…) At 4 months we had our frame replaced (I kept the slightly modded wheels). The new one felt much more sturdy, so the original one's joints must have loosened over time.

molgrips
    Free Member

Chariot! 20" spoked wheels with real tyres, suspension, they are the bomb. When we have a second kid we'll probably end up using it as our main pushchair. It rolls about 1m times better than anything else. Baby sling for newborns.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Surf – now on the PC rather than the iPhone so easier to type.

We looked at the Mountain Buggy – very heavy and folds down to be bigger than it is when open somehow (I doubt it will fit in many cars even in single form (we looked at the double). But no doubt it will go on for ever.

But the Out n About is available quite widely on Ebay (we got ours nearly new (barely used almost spotless) for £190 (with a couple of extras) delivered. Even as a double it folds down quite well and fits in the back of our Mazda 3. It is simple and functional and feels well made with pneumatic tyres and metal wheels. The frame is alloy (surely better than steel???) and the fabrics well made/stitched and very heavy duty.

The front wheel also locks so it can be used off road and it is a breeze to push.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Croozer Kid could be an option, I don't use mine around town as its a twin and its dead wide, but as a trailer and runner its superb. For a sintleton it could be good in stroller mode 2.

Clong
    Free Member

Maxis Mura. Seems very robust and survived many a jaunt in the Forest. The wheels use Shreider valves, so took the core out and put some sealant in.

molgrips
    Free Member

I'm tellin ya, Chariot is better than ANY of the others. Absolutely, categorically*.

* I may not have tried every other pushchair in the world

We have a Maxi Cosi Mura, it's not bad but not even in the same league as a chariot. Strictly speaking, Chariot are not the same thing as normal pushchairs, but I'd use one any day.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Does a Chariot fit in a car (even a 300mph/300mpg magical wonder-car)?

😉

brassneck

Slime in the tubes solved one of your problems for me. Our single all terrain matches what you're looking for but I can't remember what it's called ..Castle Sport?? Judging by the amount of Saltires I think it may be made in Scotland 😉

Ah, here it is: CLICKY

But are you looking for a double to replace it for both 1 and 2? Unfortuanately Phil & Ted maybe your best option. I have a no name side by side double which is just fine though it's not as well made – I think it's a Mothercare model but htere are no distinguishing features (it's in None More Black, the officail colour) and the fold takes up most of the boot of an mpv.

brassneck

Forgot to add – we picked it up from a charity shop, hence having no idea of where it originally came from

molgrips
    Free Member

Chariot double folds up quite wide and long but pretty thin. It fits (just) on the floor of the boot of my 60mpg wonder car (which is fairly small) with plenty of room for other stuff on top.

Plus, it's a bike trailer.

johni
    Free Member

We have a Mountain Buggy Terrain which is about 7years old and still going strong. Now on its 2nd set of wheels with slime in the tubes.

I heard Phil & Teds bought Mountain Buggy and the build quality has dropped. Some places have now stopped selling them due to this.

We got ours 2nd hand as a "days out in the country pram". Doesn't fold down very small though

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

The double croozer fits in nicely to the boot of an octavia, can also get a full bike in there with it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I heard Phil & Teds bought Mountain Buggy and the build quality has dropped.

That's right – no idea about quality issues, but they did buy the brand.

beamers

+1 for chariot

We have a CX 1 which folds down flat and goes in the boot of our estate car with room for stuff on top.

For extended trips away it goes in the roofbox along with lots of other kit.

Expensive? Hugely.

Would I buy another? For sure, even at UK prices (we got ours in Canada for half the uk retail price)

Travis

I like our BOB Stroller.
    Take the little one for runs in the park quite frequently.

On the right

beamers

Is that Steve Redgrave on the left?

molgrips
    Free Member

Expensive? Hugely.

Chariot aren't expensive compared to Bugaboo! At least, the Cougar isn't, which is what we have. the CX with the brake was a step too far! 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

MF – great shout on the Out N About 360 – just bought one!
    Proper metal spoked wheels, proper tyres, QR front wheel (my3 is a total PITA for tyre changing), nice and simple and light too – also "allowed" to run with it which is a good sign. The shop I bought it from hires them out and really rates them.

Exactly what I was after and pretty cheap (£230) too! Cheers!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Strong buggies’ is closed to new replies.