Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Stroller bikes – Likeabike Jumper vs Islabike Rothan
  • Riofer
    Free Member

Planning on getting my daughter her first set of wheels soon. After a bit of surfing I have some up with these two as the favorites. The Likeabike costs a bit more but seems to have a couple of extra features (rear damper and steering limiter).

Anyone got an opinion on either or better still experience of both?

Cheers

Rio

geoffj

We got one of these:

The Isla is nice and in the same price range. I didn’t think the significant extra cost of the likeabike was worthwhile – and neither did the bloke in the bikeshop! Damper and steering limiter ?? 🙄

Of course junior number 1 had to make do with a 12″ bike out of a skip that I took the cranks and chain off.

Smee
    Free Member

Have a look on ebay at sjs cycles. They do a rip off of one of those wooden bikes for pretty cheap.

igm

Think the Rothan has a steering limiter too now

aviemoron
    Free Member

He loved his, got it at 2 then at 3 got this

No stopping him now!

Riofer
    Free Member

Geoffj – any idea what the minimum height or inside leg is on the Scoot, I can’t seem to find it on any website.

Thanks

Rio

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Riofer, prob not much help, just bought a scoot for the wee one for her 2nd birthday, she’s prob a little below average height for 2, and it seems to be a cm or two too big at the moment.

If you want, I’ll measure it when I get home and let you know.

mangoridebike

My son has a Specialized Hotwalk which he loves. The only downside is that it doesn’t have a back brake but he’s not really approaching great speeds at the moment anyway.

Riofer
    Free Member

Hmmm perhaps I’m being a bit too keen. She is 18 months and I was thinking of getting the bike in the next couple of months ready for the glorious spring weather coming our way in March. Not sure if she is tall or short for her age. I’ll have to get her to stand back to back with the other kids at nursery next time I pick her up.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I have a Scoot for the munchkin (age 2) she is big for her age but is still not big enough

jfeb
    Free Member

“Push-along – Puky LR1” got good reviews when I was looking in to this. I found one 2nd hand for £25 and it has been good so far.

2tyred

My eldest had a Rothan from just before his 2nd birthday – was a bit big then, but he wanted to push it around the house and in doing so got used to the weight and what it would do when he moved. Two months later, he was outside and doing fine and he’s pretty small for his age. Didn’t take long before he was zipping round the bmx dirt track near our house.

I considered putting a brake on the back of the Rothan, but didn’t want to introduce too much too soon. He only ever had one proper out-of-control crash on the Rothan, but wore out the soles of his trainers in fine style!

He moved onto a Cnoc 14 a couple of months after his 3rd birthday and got the hang of it after a couple of trips up and down our street, the Rothan meant that balance was never an issue for him. Would recommend without hesitation.

bikevillagesam
    Free Member

Our little one got a Rothan for his 2nd birthday and loves it. They’re really well finished little bikes (brass cyclinder in the seat collar to prevent any banana bolt isssues – nice touch!) and I’d recommend one to anyone.

james-o
    Free Member

The Scoot comes with 2 different length seatposts so it can fit a wider height range, but i don’t have the range to hand sorry. I remember we were confident it went both lower and higher than the other products out there when it launched, the smaller post means you can drop it right down and not risk ankles hitting the bottom of the post or the post snagging on uneven ground.
    A good fun project to work on tbh, shame i’m too big for one.. Have a look on utube under scoot racing to see the max age that can have fun on them )

Lionheart
    Free Member

My biz side kick did similar research and went for the Puky because of the foot plates, works brilliantly and planning on Cnoc next.

matthewjb
    Free Member

The new Rothan looks really good. I think it has the lowest standover height.

My Daughter got hers at 2.

Riofer
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies. I’ll check out minimum heights with the manufacturers and try to be patient waiting until she is big enough.

matthewjb
    Free Member

As you can see it’s pretty low

LD
    Free Member

Go for the Jumper!

aracer
    Free Member

Hmmm perhaps I’m being a bit too keen. She is 18 months and I was thinking of getting the bike in the next couple of months ready for the glorious spring weather coming our way in March.

Probably a little too young unless she’s really precocious. My 2 year old is only getting going very slowly on it, despite being an early walker and going fairly well on a scooter. When I ordered my Rothan they did ask how old my child was – implication of reason for asking being they didn’t want people getting them when children were too young (they reckoned 2nd birthday was a good time to start, but not before). I know I was enthusiastic like you, but it’s better to wait for these things to happen in their own time. You might also struggle on sizing – mini-aracer is tall for his age, yet the Rothan seatpost isn’t far off the bottom.

dave_aber
    Free Member

My lad was riding without peadls OK before his 2nd birthday, and pedals on at about 26 months. 18 months might be a smidge early, but it really depends on the kid.

Seems so long ago now – I’m teaching him to drive now!

CHUBBER
    Free Member

have a look at this..

and you'll see why the Likeabike Jumper costs a bit more…it's the toughest out there …and Jackson has obviously got balls of steel!
    Awesome talent too!

CHUBBER
    Free Member

and its the lightest bike too..very important factor for little 'uns

heathy
    Free Member

You sure thats not just a really gifted midget?

fraseruk
    Free Member

I got my boy a Specialized Hotwalk when he was 20 months – it was a bit big tbh, but he was keen to get on it after we tried it in the shop so a bit of foam pipe insulation on the down tube meant he could sit in reasonable comfort (with a usefully low centre of gravity) until he was happy on the saddle.

He's now 3 and we're looking for his first 'proper' bike with brakes and pedals.

On the age thing it's going to be very variable depending on the kid – I've a mate with a daughter about same age as my boy that also got a hotwalk but she still hasn't really got the hang of it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Stroller bikes – Likeabike Jumper vs Islabike Rothan’ is closed to new replies.