Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Stripping fox floats
  • fadda

Hi all,

After a bit of advice:

I’ve just started stripping my forks and have immediately come up against something of a problem in that, whilst undoing the left side bottom nut, the air shaft assembly is turning with the nut. The manual doesn’t say what to do, and a (admittedly quick) forum and google search doesn’t seem to help.

How do I loosen the nut off any further, please…?

jordie
    Free Member

try nipping it back up and checking the threads are ok??It should come straight off.

fadda

Thanks Jordie, but the shaft just turns that way too! i can’t tighten or loosen it any further now – should that shaft be locked somehow? (by which I suppose I mean “is it broken/snapped inside somewhere”?)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    coatesy
    Free Member

You’ve “broken” the joint that stops it turning, probably by undoing it with a jerk.Put some pressure on the fork to compress it, re-tighten to re-set the joint and then loosen it gently.

fadda

Doesn’t work either 😥

Thanks for trying, guys, looks like it might be off to Mojo with them…

edd

Try putting some pressure back in the forks, probably about 90psi, then try again. Just don’t forget to let the pressure out again before you take the top cap off…

fadda

Eureka!

Thanks for your help, chaps “She lives!”

jordie
    Free Member

A happy ending 🙂

popstar
    Free Member

Don’t want to hijack thread, but question to the crowd … could you throw some video-links on how to service Fox Floats. Want to have a go at them, or at least to do basic 7hour use service*.

jordie
    Free Member

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/Forks/1.0_Fork_Disassembly.htm
    Print out your model and follow the instuctions it is very straight forward

fadda

Popstar – I’ve just done it for the first time and it’s not very difficult, although you need to allow much more time than people will tell you (I’m sure that’s my novice status showing, and I’ll get quicker now that I know what I’m doing…)

This should be a link to the full version of gusamc’s first link above – I found it quite helpful:

I used the endura seal kit, some 10wt suspension oil and some 85wt gearbox oil from a motorbike shop, so I now have some lovely plush forks for a fraction of the cost of a professional service, and learnt about what’s inside some forks!

edit: nearly forgot to say thanks to jordie, coatesy and edd above – I wouldn’t have got them apart if not for their help!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Stripping fox floats’ is closed to new replies.