Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Stripped upper bleed screw thread – shimano
  • robbo1234biking

First time bleeding this set of brakes. When I undid the upper bleed screw on the lever some of the thread seemed to come away. It can only have been held on by 1 thread at most. Anyway now it won’t go back together as all the thread is lower down into the lever and the screw isn’t long enough. Can you get a longer screw anywhere? There is loads of thread lower down.

The brakes are getting replaced in the next month or so and are worth about £15 second hand so it isn’t worth replacing the whole lever.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deore-m6000/BL-MT501.html

submarined
    Free Member

Front or rear?
    I’ve got a number of basic Shimano levers with leaky callipers. You’re welcome to one if they’re compatible with yours.
    Will need someone on here to confirm though!

robbo1234biking

It is a front (RH) lever. That would be great if you have something compatible. Have you got a pic of them? If they are the same style I don’t think there is much issue with compatibility.

submarined
    Free Member

I’ll go dig in the garage shortly dude. I vaguely remember there being something about different hoses being used at different levels, no idea if that applies!

submarined
    Free Member

Right, only front I’ve got is an m395. I think the caliper may have a leak.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

If the general consensus is it’s compatible and it’s any use to you then drop me a message and I’ll pop it in the post tomorrow 🙂

robbo1234biking

Cheers for this. Anyone have any idea if these are compatible? The calipers look the same.

transporter13
    Free Member

I cant see why it wouldn’t work… Never had an issue swapping any of my shimano levers and calipers around in the past… What’s actually wrong with your brakes other than theat lever to need them replacing… Surely it’d be easier to just buy a new deore lever and carry on as is?

tjagain

is it not just a standard thread?

robbo1234biking

@transporter13 nothing is wrong with the lever but I plan on replacing the brakes in the very near future so I am only looking for a temp solution. Brakes are very cheap OEM ones fitted to the bike so not worth replacing.

@tjagain
    – Yes it is a standard thread however the bolt has a recess and waisted section to seat the o-ring that seals the assembly.

tjagain
    matt_outandabout

Yes they are compatible.

Mrs_oab has one of those levers on an older XT caliper, youngest_oab has those levers on Deore 615(?) calipers.

robbo1234biking

@tjagain yes I think I might be able to find something that will work there. Thanks.

@matt_outandabout
    thanks I will get in touch with submarined

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Stripped upper bleed screw thread – shimano’ is closed to new replies.