Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Stripped thread on RS fork (hose guide clamp)
  • rockandrollmark

Not by my fair hands. I bought a set of forks secondhand a while back. When they arrived they were missing the hose clip. No biggie, I thought – it’s a £8 part and the buyer must’ve forgotten to bolt it back on before sending. £8 later I’ve discovered that its omission was probably deliberate as the thread’s stripped. They were an eBay purchase about two months ago so no chance of recourse now.

My thoughts are to tap the hole out to take an m3 bolt instead – handily a lock-on grip bolt is about the right length. Before I attempt this (which could result in a completely FUBAR’d set of lowers) has anyone else dealt with this problem?

It’s a 2019 Revelation Charger RC by the way, which I’d quite like to keep as they’ve just been treated to a full service and new C1 air spring.

nickdavies
    Free Member

Easily done, I filled one with epoxy and just screwed the guide back in. Not been a bother.

andrewh
    Free Member

A very slightly too big self-tapper works

joebristol

I picked up a helicoil kit for some Pikes I had the same problem with. Was a bit of a fiddle and the material to screw into is really soft so you need to be really careful. I ended up dropping some glue in with the helicoil insert just to be sure. Did the trick.

daver27
    Free Member

yep, done it a few times. got all the helicoils here if you are in the west sussex area..

tjagain

its a very soft material. either tapping out to M3 or a helicoil will work. IN either case do not bother with drilling out – just run the tap thru. thats my experience

duncancallum

Or the other option bond a stud in and use a dome nut.

Small threads in cast ally are always shite

rockandrollmark

Thanks for the responses, all. You’ve at least reassured me that I’m not doing a mad thing reeming yet more metal out of my fork legs.

I think I’ll try tapping first, and if that goes wrong at least I’ve got helicoiling the hole that I’ve just bodged as a backup option.

gkeeffe

I just held the hose on with a zip tie.

zerocool

I just used a cable tie.

rockandrollmark

Just a quick note to say thanks to all. Re-tapped the hose guide thread on my Revelations at the weekend. Slightly nerve-wrecking making sure I didn’t tap it at some crazy angle, but all seems well and the new m3 bolt nicked of a set of surplus lock-ons works a treat.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

A good result, and the stud and Dome nut is a good approach too.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Stripped thread on RS fork (hose guide clamp)’ is closed to new replies.