Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Stripped Shimano crank. New crank or new drive side
  • tall_martin

Hi,

I’ve stripped the threads on my Shimano tiagra crank.

Would you suggest…

A) try a new drive side crank and see how it goes

B) new crank set to be on age side.

C) something else.
    It’s pretty new, 1 or 2 years old maybe 1000/ 2000 miles. Chainrings are original and are fine.

I think I might have stuffed up the spacers on the bottom bracket as only some of the thread has stripped in the non drive side

Cheers for any suggestions

honourablegeorge

Stripped pedals, or stripped the two clamp bolts?

Stainypants

You can pick up a new drive side crank off eBay for not too much I saw an ultegra one last week. I’ve got a couple of spare lefts so it could have worked for me as I’m going 1x but I decided to go for a full crankset for other reasons.

It were me I’d just get a new one one. I’ve bought these as they use a standard BCD so gave more flexibility for aftermarket rings than the series cranks but still let me use my shimano crank power meter.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203354749041

tall_martin

@honerablegeorge
    I’ve stripped the splines inside the non drive side crank.

As in pedal and instead of the whole crank spinning on the BB, the non drive side crank spins on the spindle attached to the drive side crank.

@Stainypants

They look good!
    I replaced the FSA crank set that was on previously as two rings were the same price as a whole new crank set and rings.

Seems a bit of a false economy now!

honourablegeorge

I’d replace the lot then, most likely the axle splines as well as the crank splines are damaged, a new arm will probably develop play quickly.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Stripped Shimano crank. New crank or new drive side’ is closed to new replies.