Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Strip down Shimano freehub
  • simon1975

So how do you get them apart? I want to fix mine, and by “fix” I don’t mean repair 🙂

ziggy
    Free Member

Not really designed to take apart, you mean fix as in get rid of the freewheel bit?

Spot weld it to the hub, seen it on some trials bikes.

wwaswas

you could try getting some araldite inside it to ‘freeze’ it.

simon1975

Cheers but I don’t fancy permanently welding to the hub… I wanted to jam it up inside either with bits of metal or alaldite, but I can’t get it apart. I don’t mind trashing my freehub as it’s a retired free-spinning one anyway.

mick_r

Take the axle and 1/4″ balls out. Prise out any dust cap / seals. Leave freehub attached to the wheel

The cup / bearing race that the balls sit in has 2 notches in it. You need something to fit these notches. The race unscrews CLOCKWISE as you look at it (LH thread). You then have access to all the gubbins. Maybe strip and degrease it then rebuild with araldite holding balls and pawls in position instead of grease?

A (rare) proper tool is available to unscrew the innards. I also have a home made one that may fit…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Don’t surly make what you are after?

coatesy
    Free Member

Why not remove the freehub and get the outer section welded to the inner at the seal groove where it mates to the hub?

simon1975

Yes Surly make a thingy but it’s £60. Welding will cost me money too.

Thanks Mick-r, I’ll put the freehub back on the hub and have a go – I guessed that that would be the answer but I’ve tried really hard already. I might make a tool from some old pipe, or cut some metal plate down to fit…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Strip down Shimano freehub’ is closed to new replies.