strip and clean – which degreaser?

Home Forum Bike Forum strip and clean – which degreaser?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • strip and clean – which degreaser?
  • tomkerton

As above, going to strip and clean to try to get that horrible tarry buildup properly off the chain and cassette and wondered if you could recommend me a degreaser for chain and cassette. Does the branded stuff work, or a swish in petrol/white spirit something else?

And yes the buildup is the fault of too much of the wrong lube. I’ve learnt about the right lube and the less-is-more on another thread!

carlos

I’ve used diesel, petrol or gunk and had good results with all.

Diesel is prob the best option of the 3

Muc off do a degreaser in an aerosol can which is very good. It’s harsh so keep it away from bearings etc..

weeble

Morgan blue chain cleaner is excellent

Premier Icon Tracey
    Subscriber

Bought a can of jizer in 1987 and its still going strong. Keep all our clean

velomanic

I use this and I’d happily recommend it: White Lightning Clean Streak

Diesel. Dunno if It’s the cheapest but it’s as affective as anything else. ( when I was an apprentice plant fitter I used to wash my hands with diesel & sand when out on site) 😕

tomkerton

Thanks all. The white lightening lubes get plenty of good reports so I might try that.

what do you do after you’ve cleaned using diesel to get it off – just a wipe down before re-lube?

Premier Icon househusband
    Subscriber

Brake & clutch cleaner from local motor factors – a tenner for five litres.

carlos

what do you do after you’ve cleaned using diesel to get it off – just a wipe down before re-lube?

Yup pretty much and then I tend to leave it overnight before re-fitting and lubing

tomkerton

Thanks Carlos.

joec73

Paraffin for me

gogg

I go for something slightly less “volatile”, I find Park Tool Chain Brite works well and Finish Line Degreaser, just as good if I’m soaking for a while.

tarquin

I use brake or carb cleaner spray.

stu1972

We use a degreaser at work thats derived from oranges (citrus based). Bloody brilliant stuff and its biodegradable.

Cuts through the gunk on chains & cassettes in seconds.

http://www.techsil.co.uk/products/cleaners/techsil-pronatur-solvent-5l-4kg.html

Premier Icon bigblackshed
    Subscriber

Amberclene for me. And not because we use it at work or anything. 🙄

Just don’t get it on painted surfaces.

tomkerton

Stu1972 – it bloody ought to at that price!

stu1972

Haha aye, ’tis not cheap.

Far cheaper alternatives including some bike specific ones with a Google of “orange citrus degreaser”

LardLover

+1 for paraffin

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘strip and clean – which degreaser?’ is closed to new replies.