Strikeing binmen in Leeds

Home Forum Chat Forum Strikeing binmen in Leeds

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • Strikeing binmen in Leeds
  • Personally I think that everyone in the country should have their jobs undercut and/or outsourced to provide better value for money for the rest of us, improved profits for businesses, and a stronger economy. After all there's always gonna be someone in the world willing to do a job for less.

Oh, except my job of course.

Bugger, thats what everone wants.

Premier Icon CHB
    Subscriber

John, I agree. Long term sick I identified as a cause of bumping up the average. All companies have this. But still 30 days accross the departement is off the scale compared with anywhere I have ever heard of.

Listened to a bit on radio leeds yesterday morning. Found it superficial and lacking in detail. Will stick with Radio 4 for info, sadly a local employment dispute in the shires doesn't make national news in a detailed way.

Premier Icon CHB
    Subscriber

porterclough, sorry must have missed that. So does that mean that 95% of other councils have already contracted out binmen?

Personally I am not a big fan of contracting out. It can be used by a tool of greedy bosses in a race to cut salaries/benefits of hardworking staff. It can also be used to sidestep militant unions as a last resort.
    John, Parkside at Darton was brought down to collapse by a union that would not face up to modernisation in a company that could not compete with better UK companies. Conversley, where I used to work, hard working canteen staff were sold out to Sodehexo. You need the detail to make a choice in arguments like this. In its absence we all just revert to political prejudice.

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

The trouble with contracting out is that any savings made through efficiency (i.e. reducing wages) is cancelled out by the need for the contractor to make a profit. If Leeds' bin service is as bad as they say, they need better management, not new binmen.

30 days' sick is extremely high – is that really the average? You'd expect a manual outdoor job to be on the high side, but even so…

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

porterclough, sorry must have missed that. So does that mean that 95% of other councils have already contracted out binmen?

It's more like 50%.

Premier Icon CHB
    Subscriber

ransos, thanks for that 50% figure. My 95% was based only only on the fact that <5% of councils are facing industrial action from binmen.

I also agree that better management is the key to this problem. Problem is the poor midden men are caught in the cross fire. Folk will take 30 days sick if its custom and practice. This is what sucks about public sector (sometimes).

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

I also agree that better management is the key to this problem. Problem is the poor midden men are caught in the cross fire. Folk will take 30 days sick if its custom and practice. This is what sucks about public sector (sometimes).

I work in the public sector. My team's average is less than 2 days' sickness per year, which I reckon is pretty impressive. If staff are poorly motivated and treated badly, sickness always goes up.

Premier Icon CHB
    Subscriber

ransos, thats a great rate by any measure. Didn't mean to tar the whole of public sector with the same brush, but I know from relatives who work for other bits of local and national government that its often very different to what would be OK in private companies.

ernie_lynch

I know from relatives who work for other bits of local and national government

Unless they have done extensive studies on the issue, I wouldn't rely on just 'an impression' which they might have.

The popular view that public sector workers take more sick leave than their private sector counterparts is misleading says an HSE report.

project

All council services should be privatised then the council , thats us have no pension comitment to them , no tupe regs to follow and probably more.

Its quite obvious that the strike was planned, and it will save the council a lot of money, and the strikers will just go to the private sector, so everything is sorted.

four weeks of dirty nappies anyone? Hmmm, I'm not jumping up and down in that bin…

Premier Icon CHB
    Subscriber

Ernie, I will trust the first hand reports of relatives I trust if thats ok.

Thanks for your link. This:
    The average number of days absence per employee in small private businesses is 4 days, compared with 7 days in large (250+) private sector organisations.

Puts 30 days into context (including the skiving supervisors and managers that make up this stat).

ernie_lynch

Ernie, I will trust the first hand reports of relatives I trust if thats ok.

Yes, that's fine by me….just ignore the facts if you prefer.

And yes, that link does indeed into put into context your gossip/rumour fuelled baseless claim.

Premier Icon CHB
    Subscriber

Ernie, I am not ignoring the facts.
    This document:
    http://www.hse.gov.uk/gse/sickness.pdf

Also from the HSE says that absence rates are high and that in many civil service jobs odd day absence may not even have been reported.

The link you provided does not make my claim baseless. It does highlight that typical absence days are 7 per worker per year. You can make the mental leap to think why anyone would take 30 per year (If it were Riddors then it would be scandalous neglect by the employer).

Now, given the link to the PDF I have posted is 5 years old, and talks of 10 days per worker, it is possible that this has been cracked down on to bring it down to 7? The report does talk of a 30% improvement being targeted. In which case maybe my family members are still coloured by what happened two or three years ago. But certainly this was VERY real for my relatives, who had worked in public and private sector before and were taken aback by the difference in attitude.

I think the point about poor senior management being responsible for high sickness rates is pertinant based on my observations.

Work in a busy community health/social care team and we have a number of senior workers on long term sick due to stress.

I feel that this is due in the main, to stress imposed from above, cost cutting and unrealistic targets.

Fortunately I have chosen to stay a level or two lower so I can go home and forget (well, I try) about work.

I have had 6 sick days in the past 2 years, 5 of them after a bike crash!!!! but I reckon our average would be over 30 days due to the long termers.

Difference between public and private sector sick could likely be due to private sector getting rid of anyone who develops a long term condition.

Look at the guy on here with cancer (Petesgaff), work for a public sector body and he'll be pretty well looked after. If he worked for my last private employer they would have sacked him off and defended their decision if he challenged it legally.

Any update on this? I put the bins out again yesterday, in hope, but to no avail. It's been a while now! I'm in Otley.

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Strikeing binmen in Leeds’ is closed to new replies.