Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • ‘Stray’ pigeon in our garden……
  • sadexpunk

about a week ago we saw that a pigeon was stood in the corner of our gazebo, and wouldnt move. thought it may be injured, or couldnt fly or something, so left a bit of seed and water next to it and thought we’d see if it just flew off after a while. it didnt. what it did do was leave loads of shite in the corner which will probably have set like concrete and rotted the wood by now 😀

anyways, it seemed to disappear for a few days, but then we found it behind the wooden corner unit in there, seemingly trapped as there wasnt any room to fly out.
    moved the unit, let it come out and eventually it disappeared. its now back.

the fact that it does seem able to fly a little, but not ever so well seems to imply its not at deaths door or owt, but we’re keen to get rid, if only for the cessation of shit in the gazebo.

it seems to have coloured rings on its legs. does this mean its a homing pigeon or something like that? mebbes not well enough to fly home, or lost?
    and no, we’re not going to shoot it, sky rats, vermin etc etc…..

fasthaggis

pie

martinhutch
    hols2
    Free Member

sadexpunk

https://www.rpra.org/stray-reporting/

thanks. tried to slowly hold it but it moves away and then flies a short distance away. i can see theres a phone number on one ring but i cant see the last 3 numbers 😀

this is going to be fun…..

orangespyderman

I suspect if it’s a homing pigeon that isn’t homing, the end that is reserved for it won’t be a particularly glorious one anyway…

bails

Can you throw a sheet or something over it to stop it flying away?

sadexpunk

managed to see the last 3 digits of the phone number on its tag, and have made contact with the owner.

hes in cheltenham, we’re in lincoln 😀 so……hes not rushing over for it.

he said best thing to do is not feed it, leave it some water and hope he goes on his merry way. he’ll ring us in 3 days time (the owner, not the pigeon).

thanks

timdrayton
    Free Member

Our tiny dog once overcame his intimidation by the dirty pigeons sufficiently to chase one…

It flew straight into our house and knocked itself out.

Upon waking it wasnt right, staggering about and unable to fly.

My wife immediately set about making it comfortable, box, seed, water fluffy bed etc and rang the rspca.

Who were round next day to take it away, citing brain damage, and advising they would treat it.

I knowingly nodded and made kneck wringing gestures whilst walking them to the van.

To be told they would treat and scan the pigeon and let us know the outcome.

Which I wholeheartedly didnt believe until they rang us back the next day with a full update… its probably in a bed next to schumacker on life support to this day.

Tracey

Years ago we had one roosting on the Sky dish, didn’t help that the neighbours kept feeding it. Use to go out and try and scare it off with the hosepipe. Nothing worked and it was playing havoc with the Sky signal every night.
    Builder caught it in a box so we drove it 10 miles away and let it go. It bet us home.
    Managed to catch it again and took it to Cleethorpes with the idea that it would mix with all the others.
    Armed with a loaf of bread we managed to entice a big flock of them, opened the box. It jumped out and we legged it.
    Big sigh of relief when we got home and it wasn’t waiting for us.
    Neighbours still think it just flew away

jd13m
    Free Member

what is it with pigeons and solid objects? one flew straight across our garden at full tilt and crashed into the house wall, suffice to say it was joining Speckled Jim and his friend the Norwegian Blue after that……

ads678

We get loads flying into our bedroom window, stupid feckers.

The kids call the mark that gets left behind our weeping angle!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

weeping angle

What acute thing to say…

willard

Stop being obtuse CFH.

We had a homing pigeon turn up at the drop zone over summer. If you are a racing pigeon owner, one thing you do not want to have happen is one of your pigeons near bored skydivers… It got fed, fussed, entertained for three days before the owner was contacted and came and got it. It liked us so much it kept walking inside the club house. I believe there may have been plans to take it up in the jump plane at one point.

jd13m
    Free Member

What acute thing to say…

not at all obtuse then ?

beaten to it 🙂

sadexpunk

the saga continues 😀

wifes actually joined a pigeon forum to ask on there (pigeontrackworld?) 😀
    they gave us the number of a ‘fancier’ local to us. rang him and he doesnt keep them any more, hasnt for a few years.

matey never rang back as promised so i rang him again, he said if we can get it in a box he’ll try and arrange pick up. try??? “so how long are we supposed to keep it in the box before accepting you cant arrange anything?” 😀

i spent last sunday taking our corner unit to bits and power washing it plus the gazebo floor. i then put string and foil up to put the bird off flying into the gazebo. also put a load of sunbed cushions along the base to stop it hopping in. then finally put fake birds (ducks actually) in its corner, so that it would be scared to go there.

next day its back in its corner and knocked a couple of the birds over 😀

the dogs been really good, stares but wont get it. in fact later when it had disappeared again, i had a good look round, couldnt see it, so moved the cushions to get in for another clean up and it was tucked behind the cushion on the floor. the dog actually ran into it and still didnt do anything. good lad.

i don’t want to put it in a box, doesnt seem fair, so we’re starting to embrace having a new pet, its just the heaps of shit that annoy us (natch).

ive put a spare decking board at the back now so at least most of its shit goes onto that and i can remove it and clean it from time to time. gaps too big to sit properly so keeps falling down tho, i think im going to have to make a proper ‘shit board’ 😀

martymac

Take it to the vet and give them the owners contact details.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Feed feed feed. Then eat eat eat.

dirtyboy

tpbiker
    Free Member

He looks a magnificent fella. Give him a name and you’ve basically got a new feathery pet.

martinhutch

next day its back in its corner and knocked a couple of the birds over 😀

It’s inexplicable. Ducks are the natural predator of pigeons. Must be some kind of badass.

sadexpunk

He looks a magnificent fella. Give him a name and you’ve basically got a new feathery pet.

any ideas? i can only come up with percy. cos it starts with P, and didnt percy from coronation st keep pigeons? may be wrong tho…..

i thought its getting cold now, we’re not likely to be sat under the gazebo til next year, so i’ll make him a better shelf. got a bit of mdf out the garage, sawed it a bit smaller and stuck a couple of planks on the edge to weigh it down a bit.

more comfortable for him and less shit on our corner unit 😀
    he was watching from the side…..

looked again later and hes back under there now…..

cant believe we’ve gone from wanting to get rid of him, to now wanting him to stay and clean his shit up…..

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘‘Stray’ pigeon in our garden……’ is closed to new replies.