Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Straw Poll: Take the road bike or mountain bike to the Alps next week?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

So, I’m off to Alp d’Huez for the tour next Thursday and will be able to get a few days biking in beforehand.

It might be a biased question, this being predominantly a mountain bike forum, but should I take the road bike or the mountain bike??

philipft
    Free Member

Both, of course

Superficial
    Free Member

I had a friend who rode up the 27 switchbacks on his hardtail with a seat that didn’t go all the way up. No need for the road bike.

cmadd
    Free Member

Ya goanna watch Le Tour right, so take ya road bike

peteimpreza

Both

JEngledow
    Free Member

It doesn’t really matter as whichever one you take you’ll wish you had the other 😉

souldrummer
    Free Member

If you are going to Alpe D’Huez you have to do the climb on your road bike; it’s so iconic. Hopefully for you it won’t be in excess of 100 degrees as it was when I did it last year!!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Only got room for one (in my dad’s camper), and yes I will wish I took the other for sure!

This will be my fourth year in a row to Alp d’Huez. Not really intended, just the way it panned out.

Did the climb on my road bike the one year I did take it, and I was ready for crawling off into the verge with 3 switchbacks to go…. Barring that, every trip has been mountain bike orientated.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I had a friend who rode up the 27 switchbacks on his hardtail with a seat that didn’t go all the way up. No need for the road bike.

Have they added a few to the top?

Superficial
    Free Member

Yes. They have.

kayak23

All that way to ride UP hills?
    Roadies are proper weird…
    Take your mountainbike 😀

Northwind

You can ride up tarmac hills any time you like in the UK, and if they’re not tall enough you can ride them twice… but we lack a decent uplift infrastructure. Therefore, mountain bike.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted the DH tyres to the mtb….

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Take your MTB and a pair of slick road tyres.

mangatank
    Free Member

Take road bike but fit a Sram With Fli kit first…

vickypea
    Free Member

Take both!
    We went there last July and took both road bikes and MTBs. Rode up Alpe D’Huez on road bikes but took MTBs down the road to Les Deux Alpes. We’re off to Ventoux tomorrow!

tomhoward

Take you mtb then rent a road bike when out there. The trek store will give you a top end bike for £40 a day. Much cheaper than renting a dh bike, and much less risk of breaking it…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Straw Poll: Take the road bike or mountain bike to the Alps next week?’ is closed to new replies.