Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • strava,riders, politeness and wonderment….
  • vondally
    Free Member

went for a ride at gisburn, nice and quiet and recovering from a third bout of illness so pottering round, really enjoying myself when on swoopy I hear

get out of the way……..oh **** no chance now

so I pull over and allow rider to pass but ask is all okay,

get another
    no ….was trying to beat my strava time………….

my response was not the best on reflection, a complete fit of giggles to which the aforementioned person takes umbridge

I point out they can ride it again as I will be going on now.

I departed with a sense of wonderment and incredulity that strava is so important………….am I missing something?

wwaswas

am I missing something?

some people like to challenge themselves by riding

bits of trail as fast as they can?

in the same way that some people put what seems like random
    line breaks in their posts on stw and don’t use quotes for reported speech 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Umbridge? Is that where the Urchers is set? 😉

creedy
    Free Member

Use strava as a fitness/training tool on the road bike. Off road i enjoy pissing about to much and having a laugh. still use it off road

but more as route measure..

🙂

vondally
    Free Member

indeed Capt….lots of strava riders that be living there

wwaswas apologies for my writing style will try and improve in the future and be all james joyce nay more 😉 get the idea of people challenging themselves but not to the point when it the end of the world…..perspective maybe

sefton
    Free Member

sounds like a strava hero.

benjii19
    Free Member

Just chargin the old Garmin for a spot of strava bashing tonight…..erm…not at my speed.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

in contrast I was once overtaken by a guy trying to go under an hour round innerleithen, fast, polite and using strava aren’t mutualy exclusive, being alow and inverse snobbery against fast riders seems far more common though.

wwaswas

not to the point when it the end of the world…..perspective maybe

Indeed, I don’t agree with the ‘get out of the way’ thing but I often swear at myself when I think I’m riding a bit of singletrack really well and then something happens (me making a mistake usually) to interrupt the flow.

I think the loss of flow is what upsets me, not the loss of time.

sefton
    Free Member

too many variables for Strava road use to be taken seriously.

I would think things are a little more consistent on the trails?

crazy-legs

I would think things are a little more consistent on the trails?

I would think Strava is far LESS consistent off road. Muddy trail in winter vs dusty trail in summer. Gate opened or closed, groups of walkers, dogs etc.

Also more likely to be issues with GPS drift on steep climbs/descents or twisty wiggly woodland trails with heavy tree cover.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Having one’s flow disrupted by a slow rider ahead is not a pure Strava problem anyway. There’s no need for rudeness from either party however. 🙂

creedy
    Free Member

Strava does seem a bit odd sometimes though. Did a ride couple of weeks ago and it gave 600ft of dif between me and a mate doing the same route at the same time. It also seems to correct alot of the data once synced.

Rude is rude where ever you are.

njee20
    Free Member

I have a suspicion that those who tell everyone to get out of the way because they’re Straving (the correct verb I feel) are those who never do real racing.

I like to do certain trails as fast as possible, Strava didn’t change that. If I come across someone it’s one of those things. Personally unless they’re ridiculously slow I never even ask to come past. They’re enjoying their ride, I can either drop back, or wait for a convenient moment.

Duggan

I think it’s fair to say that Strava is pretty incidental to this story.

People have been trying to go faster on their bikes since bikes were invented, probably some of them, sometimes, are a bit rude. Hold the front page.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im struggling with myself at the moment, had the KOM for a segment I created and ride quite a bit, mostly as a benchmark for my performance. Someone who clearly is fitter and rides 4 times more often than I do has taken the KOM and Im feeling pissed off!

Why do I feel this way? Its nothing personal and I’ve always accepted there are faster riders out there than me. So why is it bothering me so much? I suppose that its motivating me into doing something about it may be positive, but im not sure the motivation behind it is that positive.

Oh and if someones in your way when your going for it, tough! Doesn’t give you the excuse to be rude and ignorant to other trail users, just accept that today wasn’t the day for a new PB!

grahamg
    Free Member

LOL, I think I’d have reacted in much the same way seeing as there probably wasn’t time to give him a rendition of the record breakers theme.

vondally
    Free Member

I never have had a problem with fast riders not since 1993 in a race when I was passed by a fellow in a gorilla suit 😀
    it was the ridiculousness of it all, fine you are blasting along but someone is slower …..so….on reflection and coffee maybe we are becoming the new golf?

ndthornton
    Free Member

am I missing something?

Sounds like your missing Strava

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

am I missing something?

The umpteen other threads all saying essentially the same thing?

binners

Strava constantly amazes me. According to mine, there are quite a few people locally who are actually slower than me. Unbelievable!

allthepies
    Free Member

These people are strarsholes.

molgrips
    Free Member

According to mine, there are quite a few people locally who are actually slower than me.

That’s not possible. Just goes to show how inaccurate Strava is. Perhaps they crashed or had heart attacks or something on the climbs.

Maybe you can use that digital EPO site with a negative number to make yourself slower. We need a new site called digitalpies.com

crazy-legs

These people are strarsholes.

vondally
    Free Member

Is it trying to be the slowest actually the best game……..???

LoCo
    Free Member

Strava constantly amazes me. According to mine, there are quite a few people locally who are actually slower than me. Unbelievable!

This 😆

binners

Seriously Molls. I’m presuming that its people who’ve punctured and stopped to change a tube, or maybe two? Perhaps had a bite to eat while they were stopped, and a smoke, take in the view for a while……

crazy-legs

Back in May I was mincing down a descent on my CX bike when it clipped a rut, sent me over the bars and I broke my collarbone. I lay there in pain for a bit, finally picked myself up and hobbled slowly down to the bottom where my mate was waiting.

When I finally got home, all bandaged up, I uploaded the Strava file and found that, in spite of lying on the ground for 5 minutes and walking the rest of it, I still wasn’t last!

patriotpro
    Free Member

Umbridge? Is that where the Urchers is set

It was the temporary name until they decided to call it Cambridge.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Lot of stravacism going on on this thread.

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

yawn

tang
    Free Member

I had a guy coming up on a road hill the other day shouting ‘Sorry, Strava bitch coming through’. I gladly pulled up and shouted encouragement back. He obviously took his KOM seriously, while still knowing the reality of his sad strava addiction. I had a good laugh and I hope he got his KOM.

molgrips
    Free Member

Perhaps had a bite to eat while they were stopped, and a smoke, take in the view for a while……

…bivouaced for the night…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Im struggling with myself at the moment, had the KOM for a segment I created and ride quite a bit, mostly as a benchmark for my performance. Someone who clearly is fitter and rides 4 times more often than I do has taken the KOM and Im feeling pissed off!

The off road portion of my commute is one long segment just for my own ammusement, saw someoen out the other day with a garmin and a CX bike so I’m going to have to get quicker incase they’re on STRAVA!

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I like to do certain trails as fast as possible, Strava didn’t change that. If I come across someone it’s one of those things. Personally unless they’re ridiculously slow I never even ask to come past. They’re enjoying their ride, I can either drop back, or wait for a convenient moment.

I’m the same and quite happy to slow down even if it is one of my favourite trails or I’m trying to beat my quickest time. No matter how polite you are asking someone if you can pass would always sound to me like you’re basically saying get out of my way 😆

tomaso
    Free Member

The main variable for tonight’s stravaring is seconds and pudding – the extra weight up over Garburn will be a burden

vondally
    Free Member

ahhhhh new thread strava excuses

Dibbs
    Free Member

I was throwing up a lung going for a good segment time on the Quantocks last week, I came round the bend to find one of the ponies broadside across the track. “Strava rider coming through” had no effect whatsoever, hey ho there’s always day. 😀

falkirk-mark

If I am out on with a good strava run and someone slows me down then tough sh!t3, if some one shouted strava while I was out i would ask them WTF they meant. TBH I think shouting strava at people shows you to be an inconsiderate person.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘strava,riders, politeness and wonderment….’ is closed to new replies.