Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Strava – Who do you follow ?
  • the_lecht_rocks

and how do you compare 😈

wwaswas

The people I ride with.

It’s give and take for the most part.

Apart from the annoying gits who seem to be an order of magnitude faster than everyone, everywhere.

weeksy

5-6 of the local lads round here.

I’m generally the slowest on the road out of the group, but one of the faster on the trails. Once the competitive edge of a ‘race’ comes in I usually have the ability to up my game a bit too.

AlexSimon

Just the people I ride with – and a couple of old friends who live further away/abroad
    I compare pretty well on technical climbs, pretty well on technical descents and not so well on overall mileage 🙂

I had a Peak District descent KOM until last week 🙁

Around where I ride, you do notice the same names come up a few times and you kind of notice – especially ‘The Rat’.

citizenlee
    Free Member

Just you TLR, and few other folk I know in real life.

I’m ahead of most on the downs, but my times are way off on the ups!

I just use it to chart my own progress really, although there’s a KoM at Blacktop I’m gunning for but only because I know the person who currently has it. I’m one place behind but I did it in the wet gloop compared to him doing it in the dry. It’s mine as soon as the trail dries up 🙂

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Friends I ride with, club mates, and the odd person I race against.

fathomer

My main mtb buddy who I’m definitely quicker than but he freely admits he’s a big girls blouse.

And couple of roadie friends that I don’t ride with but I’m generally quicker than them but that really isn’t saying much as I’m by no means quick.

stewartc
    Free Member

People I know and/or ride with, don’t want to follow any pro’s as a barely keep up with those I follow.

chakaping
    Free Member

30-ish people – some regular riding friends, some I’ve ridden with once or twice, a few former workmates who’ve popped up via FB.

It’s good for seeing who’s riding a lot and where, for planning rides and routes.

How do I compare? Very good on a few flat-ish road segments, top 10% on most climbs. Got a few KOMs off road but I don’t kid myself that I’m anywhere near the best!

EDIT: Oh you meant compare with my friends? There’s usually someone better at any given segment with a comparison available, but sometimes there’s not. More interested in my personal progress and more excited when I get a rare top 10.

crazy-legs

Famous people:
    Lance Armstrong and Marianne Vos

Otherwise: just mates, a few people I did LEJOG with, a few folk off here and various work colleagues. It’s like a bloody symphony in here in the morning as everyone plugs their Garmins in – little bleeps from all over the office. 🙄

But I never Strava my commute so maybe I just feel left out…

dunmail
    Free Member

Basically friends.

Competitively I mostly compare my own results usually to see how I’m declining 🙂 I’ve a few top tens on climbs but I’m nowhere on descents (big girl’s blouse syndrome!)

LoCo
    Free Member

Few mates & and the LoCo Racing team members who obviously make me look stupid, have a weekly league table as well for the team 😳

TiRed

This. I don’t bother posting static training sessions and don’t really bother with comparisons.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Mostly workmates, I don’t compare too badly (considering I’m giving most of them the best part of 20 years).

amedias
    Free Member

^

Mostly to see where and when they are riding.

Some are faster, some are slower.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Mostly people I ride with, the odd few I have ridden with in the past & raced against, a few pro’s etc.

We’re all around the same sort of speed (apart from the pro’s), and have a fair collection of KOM’s and top 10’s. Clearly we are teh awsum.

cookeaa

People I actually know/ride with…

I Had a follower request from some fella in Brazil the other day, No Idea Who/What/Why so I blocked him…

hooli

About 6 local people that I ride with, not the quickest but also not the slowest in the group.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Mates, local, nationally and internationally to see what they’re getting up to, and a few people who I coincide my commute with.

Some of my mates are uber fast whippets, most aren’t.
    I tend to log the longest rides though.

timb34
    Free Member

Just people I know (and only about 10)

I started following pros, but I mostly use a phone and it cluttered up the feed too much.

Not sure how I compare, most people I follow are in a different country to me. I have the most KOMs, but only because I live somewhere where not many people are on Strava!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

people i ride with, local people i don’t, people who only ride in tailwinds, people who get fully kitted up and do 8km just because i like to laugh when he gets loads of kudos and comments saying good average, some audax people, i soon delete people if 99% of their riding is a 10km commute twice a day,

some local off road kom’s got quite competative earlier in the year, which led to the names being changed to
    things like “first to the road is a gayer” etc when someone spat their dummy

mboy
    Free Member

Get lots of requests from customers and riders in local clubs, and kinda feel I have to follow them back. Strava is quickly becoming a predominant form of social media for many cyclists though, and if you’ve got a shop, you’d be a fool to ignore it IMO.

As to who I actively follow rather than who is just background noise? A couple of pro’s, a few good mates, and a couple of guys I know that are very good at planning interesting routes.

I’m less worried how I stack up in the overall scheme of things (usually just about in the top 50% on a climb, often top 10-20% on a descent) than I am about how my own progress is coming along. Strava is useful for telling me I’ve been a lazy git, or if I perhaps have overdone it recently.

the_lecht_rocks

interesting. indeed Strava is my cycling pals social media infostream – i like it.

njee20
    Free Member

+1, plus a few people I don’t specifically know but have local rivalries with – trading segments etc

BeardedDave
    Free Member

I follow the pro road rider Laurens Ten Dam, as he lives not too far away from me (in the Netherlands) and does a lot of his training rides on roads I ride. Needless to say, his times absolutely destroy mine! Although, somewhat curiously, he’s not actually ‘king of the mountain’ on too many of the segments.

rooster42
    Free Member

Club mates, friends, people I’ve met on the trails and one guy I met by chance at an Enduro who was at the top of our Strava club leaderboard, who we are now good friends (pretty bad to recognise someone from Strava I know).

We are pretty bad in the club as we compare Strava times in the pub after our Wednesday night ride. Also there is some strategy to getting a KOM on the DH’s if there are lots of gates involved and riding in a group 😉

MrSparkle

I must be a bit weird in that I don’t follow anybody. I use Strava to log my own runs and rides. Got a few followers, a out 70 I think. Not a clue why they’d be interested in what I’m doing though. :0/

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Follow and followed by quite a few (around the 100 mark) mainly road riders from my local club/people in the area I ride (Bowland fells Lancashire) Like studying their rides and if I like the look of a seg they’ve done bookmark it and integrate into one of my rides at a later date.

Haze

Friends and a scattering of locals that I’ve battled over segments with. All a good bunch and it motivates me to get out when I see how much riding is going on, explore new routes etc.

will
    Free Member

352 people. A few off here, some pros, alot of mates/club mates/racers, but yeah, quite a few…

So by the laws of average i’m slower than quite a few and faster than a few others.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

rooster42 – Member
    Club mates, friends, people I’ve met on the trails and one guy I met by chance at an Enduro who was at the top of our Strava club leaderboard, who we are now good friends (pretty bad to recognise someone from Strava I know).

The guy you met wasn’t at the first round of the pmba series at Gisburn was it ?

njee20
    Free Member

Although, somewhat curiously, he’s not actually ‘king of the mountain’ on too many of the segments.

He did hold more KOMs than any other rider on Strava a few months ago, dunno if that’s still true!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I follow most of the lads from the club and few other local, one or two off here and several male and female pro’s. I find the pro’s riding habits and stats fascinating.

mudshark
    Free Member

Lance Armstrong

😯

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Just a dozen of my mates. Not really interested what other people get up to tbh.

andytherocketeer

Nobody.
    Had a few people follow me back when there was no security whatsoever, and no way to stop people following. I have absolutely no idea who they were.

rooster42
    Free Member

bjj.andy.w – Member

The guy you met wasn’t at the first round of the pmba series at Gisburn was it ?

Yes Andy it was you 🙂

Tom

mikewsmith
    Free Member

people I know and this fella
    http://www.strava.com/pros/186522
    Laurens ten Dam
    Was interesting seeing his TdF rides and quite how much the pro’s put in all year round

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

rooster42 – Member
    bjj.andy.w – Member
    Yes Andy it was you
    Tom

Ahhh , it did strike a cord when I read it 🙂 My nephew and I will have to get out up in the lakes with you guys one weekend.

duckers
    Free Member

Veloviewer is great, login with your strava account for more stats than youll ever need.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Strava – Who do you follow ?’ is closed to new replies.