Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Strava warning
  • charliedontsurf

Within a week of first taking strava I cut my hair and ditched my baggies, Lycra, carbon forks, i even rode past a pub without stopping.. I also clocked 49.8mph max on my road bike. Scored a KOM too.

At first you think you can control strava
    But before long you start looking ill, losing weight and feeling like death
    Then one day you will wake up knowing that instead of you controlling strava, it now controls you.
    So if a friend offers you strava you know what to say:

Strava screws you up.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Round here they start you off on MapMyRide, but before you know it, you’ve moved onto the harder stuff.

RoterStern
    Free Member

My name is RS and I have a Strava problem.

RS4KEV

lol, dead right Charlie. Franks Tank will never be the same again. Not sure about the riding past the pub part, maybe i’m not fully addicted (yet)

dropoff

Sad, sounds like you need another weekend in Porlock 🙂

mashiehood
    Free Member

i must admit, strava made me ditch my baggies, i could never wear them again. whats the point of baggies? 😈

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Strava confessions: Until yesterday, I owned pretty much the whole set of climbs off the Warren in Caversham. Gravel Hill, Sandy Hill, Mechanical Hill, Jackson’s Lane. And then someone nicked my KOM on Mechanical Hill, the day before the rain came. I’m considering an appeal to the CAS.

But I could give up any time.

meehaja
    Free Member

I hide it from my friends. I don’t want them to know that I care how far and how fast I ride.

I told them I was doing “hill repeats” for fitness. In reality I was trying to nail my local KOM.

I’m sorry.

Shak47

I have broken my collar bone and in the meantime I am losing KOMS left right and centre and cant do anything about it,every damm sorry you lost email from strava is like a knife being twisted in the back, its enough to make you weep…

coatesy
    Free Member

Ditched my cycle computer about 15 years back for similar reasons, every ride was governed by the data on it, rather than by enjoyment.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

(I’m a shedload faster thanks to Strava, I reckon. Anyone else?)

jota180
    Free Member

There’s a 2 mile flat road segment that goes close by

I sometimes stand in the garden and think “hmm… that strong wind is in a perfect direction”

😀

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I ride at a very slow pace to the nearest hills and then go Banzai to get the hill climb KOM, I then ride home at a slow pace trying to gt my lungs and heart back in my chest.

I have been known to question the integrity of peoples carbon frames in an attempt to get them to slow down……

Not that I’m competetive you understand

martinxyz
    Free Member

Yes,I would have been faster. Thing is,it controlled me.Only last night I tried to backflip off a 20ft building for $1.

MrSparkle

I cut my hair and ditched my baggies

Pictures or it didn’t happen! 😉

reggiegasket
    Free Member

It certainly changes the way you ride.

I was chuffed at some of my descents though. I’ve managed a few KOM going down… none going up yet.

patriotpro
    Free Member

mashiehood – Member
    i must admit, strava made me ditch my baggies, i could never wear them again. whats the point of baggies?

So non-strava dudes don’t have to look at your sack, back, crack.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

There’s a 2 mile flat road segment that goes close by
    I sometimes stand in the garden and think “hmm… that strong wind is in a perfect direction”

Phew, it’s not just me then 😀

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I now taper for every ride and I’m thinking of getting the TT bike out. My home page is Segment explore.

djglover
    Free Member

Round here they start you off on MapMyRide, but before you know it, you’ve moved onto the harder stuff.

😀

I started with bike hike and a garmin geko. It wasn’t long before I had progressed passed owning a Garmin Forerunner and Garmin Edge, and using Garmin Connect daily to a full on Strava addiction.

Every ride is a segment hunt.

On the plus side I’m probably the fittest I have ever been

sputnik
    Free Member

Non Srava users won’t see any back/sack/crack for the dust in their eyes 😛

alibongo001

The good thing is that you have admitted that you have a problem.

Once that important step has been taken there are support services that can help you.

Alternatively you can do it alone, it requires more self control but is ultimatley more satifying.

Try and go out on your bike and just have fun.

Then try to cycle without the phone / garmin occasionally

Before you know it then you will be an Ex Strava addict…….but you must never go back!

🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well done, go smash it some more.

Nothing wrong with it, there are worse things to be up to in the woods by yourself.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Yep. Me too.

However, it’s made me a shed load faster and made me really enjoy ‘riding’ again, in so far as I enjoy the pain now, and enjoy keeping going.

Getting KOMs is like a sexual endorphin hit though, it must be said.

I’ve now moved onto the harder stuff on http://www.trainerroad.com

bigbloke
    Free Member

I bathe in Veet, spray my body with black paint instead of clothes and only ride in suitable performance enhancing wind conditions in dry weather only…..alone so as no distractions….snort…..but its ok…..sniff……i can stop it….snort…..anytime i like…..honest…..i can….STRAAAAAAAVAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

TooTall
    Free Member

I only dabble in the non-addictive end of things. My map, compass, occasional GPS habit and occasional MapMyRide use are all under control. I pootle where others are chasing virtual titles.

AlexSimon

Pick one of the following:

K

I’m just a social dealer of Strava, tell people how good it is, use it all the time. Just to see others around me get sucked in to it.

Won’t touch the stuff my self, tastes nasty and leaves you in a mess!

jam-bo
    uselesshippy
    Free Member

Tbh charlie,
    I’d be more worried about the road bike.
    There the truly evil things.

jp-t853

Set some good times in the car and then sit back and relax.

That will teach it who’s boss.

cheese@4p

A lung expanding, mind contracting drug then?

LoCo
    Free Member

Will soon be ‘owning’ all the road KOM’s in South Wales, on a moped 😉

steve_b77
    Free Member

I had a KOM, a CAT 2 roadie took it by a few seconds, I shall regain it if it kills me 😆

mashiehood
    Free Member

steve – analyse your performance using this to see what you need to do to reclaim your KOM

ben1000
    Free Member

If you start trying to spell things with your ride you’ve gone too far. #nowaybacknow

richardk
    Free Member

I feel a photoshop coming on.. “I’m in yr strava, steeling all yr KOMs”

Maybe the picture should be that fat bloke in pink Lampre kit with a hipster fixie shopped under him

chakaping
    Free Member

steve – analyse your performance using this to see what you need to do to reclaim your KOM

This way lies madness.

(bookmarked it though)

LoCo
    Free Member

Kind of glad I only have a rather uncool blackberry, that does admittedly have endomondo loaded onto it (not often used though) strava doesn’t work on it though. 😀

EDIT: any cheap gps devices available that run Strava? don’t want to shell out for a garmin 😉 😯

Carlos45
    Free Member

Got to say that I have been “strava free” now for nearly 3 months.

I feel like a new man. Initially it was totally addictive but then it got more and more difficult to get to new high’s and after a while it started taking the pleasure out of everything. Kept beating myself up for not getting another PB. Yep those days were great getting 10 PB’s in one day – but that is unsustainable without killing yourself.

Strava made me forget what mtbing was all about….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Strava warning’ is closed to new replies.