Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Strava users…
  • mahalo

Is it possible to hide certain activities? if so how?

getting a bit fed up with all the virtual rides clogging up my feed, but i also have no interest in Alans daily dog walk, Lynnes yoga or Michaels weight training… i just want to see actual outdoor bike rides if possible?

swavis

Unfollow Alan, Lynne and Michael otherwise you’ll see it in your feed. It’s only if they make it private that you won’t see it.

wait4me

Or you can mute them instead of unfollowing. Slightly less confrontational.

z1ppy

what swavis said, I make my dog walks private, as no one but me is interested in my yearly mileage.
    Unfortunately if “fred bloggs” who you follow, like to track himself doing everything, you stuck with seeing it.

Edit: I assume if you mute them, you stop seeing all their activates?

wait4me

Yes, mute stops you seeing all their activities. Would be better if you could mute the stuff you’re not interested in but that’s a price I’m prepared to pay! Honestly, who is interested in where your dog took a dump?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ditto, no interested in folks zwift, be nice to have the option to only follow GPS activities. Wasn’t aware there was a mute function tbh.

timbog160

People Strava their dog walks?😳. King of the Pooches? 😀

mahalo

yeah thats the trouble with muting. i wanna see when they do finally go out on their mtb – just so i can wind them up a bit…

there seems to be so many simple features lacking from strava!

mahalo

people strava their twice daily exactly the same walk up the street and back!

convert

I have by default all my activities only viewable by me. I then elect to make viewable only the very odd activity that might be of some interest to my friends – say one in 20 or 30 activities.

I unfollow (didn’t know about mute – might look at that) anyone who fills the feed with shite.

Whilst I blame strava users for being inept with IT (imagine walking into a room of friends and loudly announcing “I walked my dog for 1.5km again today like I do everyday, thought you’d like to know”, because that is the real world equivalent) it is mainly Strava’s fault. All accounts should be private by default unless you press a bunch of buttons to make a conscious decision to ‘release’ an activity into the ether for all to see. Also all their challenges only work if you have your activities publicly viewable. I can sort of see why they wanted lots of traffic when they first started to make the place look busy and popular but they are beyond that point now. It’s a complete turn off for me.

convert

Because if they doing some sort of random step challenge (not sure why you’d bother but it’s a motivator for some) you have to make them public.

swavis

See I use it as an activity tracker and to see totals at the end of the year. If nobody is interested in what I do don’t follow me, I won’t be offended. Pretty simple 🙂

wait4me

Yes I make everything private and just make outdoor rides visible to followers. I’m not interested in my trainer road sessions or walks so why would anyone else be? I guess Strava’s plan all along was to become a Facebook or Instagram equivalent but that’s not for me thanks. I’ve muted pretty much anyone who doesn’t swim, bike or run. Yes I am a miserable bastard 😂

Edit, you’ll still see your totals if stuff is private but you may not qualify for a digital roundel 🤣

convert

See I use it as an activity tracker and to see totals at the end of the year. If nobody is interested in what I do don’t follow me, I won’t be offended. Pretty simple 🙂

Two bottom presses (not every activity, just the once) and all that dross is still there for you to view and the totally still accumulate – you just don’t have to look like a bell to your friends any more. Simples.

paino

As a Zwifter I always make private anything other than proper Zwift events/races. Had to mute loads of folk. The amount of people Stravaing their Yoga sessions is the one that does my head in.
    A virtual ride setting would be nice, and the ability to mute certain activities. Or, preferably, automatically mute any activity under 10 Miles/15 km ish.

swavis

I really don’t care if they think I’m a bell, why would they be following me if they do? 😆

DrP

As above!

Because they might be interested in loggin their walks with the dog, for a final yearly tally?

It’s not THEIR crime doing that…I agree… they needn’t make it all public.. BUT someone somewhere might be interested in it (a dog walking group etc).. just ignore the digital platform data you don’t want to see…

DrP

wait4me

They’ve probably got you on mute swavis 😂

masterdabber
    Free Member

The answer would be for Strava to give users a totally granular choice of what they want to SEE.

The opportunity to turnon/off all the various “activities” that show up via some sort of tick box.

Apart from all the trivial crap already mentioned I’d like to turn off all the “Joined xxx challenge” at the beginning of every month, fred joined xxxx club.

the chances of Strava ever implementing this is about zero through. They have their own agenda and seem to have very little interest in listening to users.

swavis

wait4me
    Free Member
    They’ve probably got you on mute swavis

👌🤣

swavis

masterdabber
    Free Member
    The answer would be for Strava to give users a totally granular choice of what they want to SEE.

The opportunity to turnon/off all the various “activities” that show up via some sort of tick box.

Yep, this is absolutely the way it should be done but I also doubt it ever will.

petec
    Free Member

It’s one of the reasons I only follow about 3 non family members.

One chap has suddenly got a peloton. So the feed is now full of 5min warmups followed by 30min cycles, followed by 5min warm down stretch. He also now seems to duplicate every walk, so he is clogging my timeline. He obviously knows he’s doing each walk twice, as he alters the title and responds to comments, but doesn’t do anything about it

Muting here we come….

convert

I really don’t care if they think I’m a bell, why would they be following me if they do?

Because every once in a blue moon you might doing something non-throbberlike? If that’s the most interesting thing you do in your life, I agree- you are a totally mutable human with no loss to the rest of the world. 😉

oikeith

I’d love a filter which meant I could filter out commutes and zwifts!

jimdubleyou

Also all their challenges only work if you have your activities publicly viewable.

This isn’t the case so much these days – a lot of challenges still work with Private activities.

Agree on the need for a more granular filter in the feed though. They used to have a page on the website for feature requests, but I can’t find it now…

whitestone
    Free Member

I mainly use Strava as a data aggregator for various other services (Veloviewer and the like) and you need your activities to be public for those services to access them.

Strava’s privacy settings are somewhat all or nothing both at the input side and the viewing side of things. Even how you classify activities is way too coarse: just “race” or “workout”. Competitive as I am the majority of my rides are neither races nor workouts. There is (or used to be) a “commute” flag but it didn’t do anything in the interface just marked that ride as a commute for Strava to try and sell the data on.

swavis

I agree- you are a totally mutable human with no loss to the rest of the world.

I’m feeling the love today 😊

13thfloormonk

I thought that if you selected the ‘personalised’ feed preference instead of ‘chronological’ then Strava would note the sort of activities you had ‘interacted’ with and prioritise those.

I’ve been making a point of giving kudos to virtually every (there are precious few of them right now) outdoor activity on my feed, in the hope that it will relegate all the stupid Zwift squiggles to the bottom of my feed, but no joy. Have also un-followed as many only-Zwifters as possible, but basically Strava is now just an extension of the Zwift stranglehold on winter cycling it seems!

I also find seeing people joining challenges quite tedious, I actually though my feed was broken yesterday as it just appeared to be dozens of people all joining the same not-very-challenging-looking challenges…

In conclusion, I think I just need to step away from Strava 😀

euain

Strava works so well because people have lots of shared activities. It keeps you interacting with the app and, for me anyway, it’s that that makes it better than Garmin connect etc. for keeping abreast of what folks are up to. I don’t think there’s any chance they would default to private for new accounts as that’s their selling point.

Having said that, it would be great to have more granular filters – I’ve muted and unfollowed plenty of folks because the feed was filled with “Getting milk” or “Morning activity” (euphemism?).

I am interested in my MTB mates and where they get to (mainly jealous of their epic skiing at the moment). I am also interested in virtual rides (got to check no-ones doing too much training) and avidly follow my mum (recovering from a knee op) and give her encouragement every time she walks the dog.

End of the day though, I mute/unfollow the worst offenders and enjoy seeing what folks are up to.

petec
    Free Member

Oh god, the challenges!

People who regularly run 50-60km a week joining ‘Run 5km in February’

why?

z1ppy

Petec, it’s like those gold (sticky) badges primary headteachers give out.. it’ make you feel all nice an fluffy on the inside (I assume..)

dandasbike
    Free Member

Love people getting salty about zwift, think it bothers them people are staying fit over winter while they’re getting fat.

convert

This isn’t the case so much these days – a lot of challenges still work with Private activities.

Not completely convinced about that.

Unless a specific Challenge states otherwise, the following activities do not count towards Strava Challenges:

Manual entries.
    Activities viewable by only you or your followers.
    Stationary and indoor activities (this includes treadmill, trainers, virtual activities, indoor track, indoor velodrome, etc.)
    E-bike activities.

I’ve not really bothered with challenges because I don’t want to inflict the world with my commuting dross but checking again now I’ve dipped into 10 currently open activities I ‘might’ like to do and non of them would work in anything other than ‘everyone’.

convert

Love people getting salty about zwift, think it bothers them people are staying fit over winter while they’re getting fat.

I think zwift is great. It’s just boring a **** to read about other peoples’ garage based sweating that fills you feed, drowning out the more interesting stuff. It’s like facebook – I’m glad you are eating and not starving to death but I don’t need a photo of your Tuesday night spag bol. Fortunately that habit seems to be dying out a bit.

mahalo

Not getting fat. Just riding outdoors! I’m not salty about it, each to their own – It’s just of zero relevance to me so would prefer not to see it.

SirHC

I have a policy that more than two zwift rides a week and they get muted, if all the ride is zwift, unfollowed.

13thfloormonk

No salt here either, I’m doing twice weekly turbo sessions that are arguably better value than those daft Zwift training plans (see Dylan Johnson’s comments on same) but I just don’t feel the need to share every one* and if I do I at least try to give it an interesting title and comment, not just some gibberish like ‘Insert Random-name’s meetup Z1-Z3 2.8-2.3W/kg’.

Still, as above, it’s not their fault, it’s Strava’s, I should be able to filter that stuff out. As it is, all that’s keeping me subscribed now is the route planner (although I guess I need it also to feed Veloviewer?)

*in fact I like to think I’m lulling my riding buddies into a false sense of security as they don’t see any of my rides except my outdoor bimbles.

crazy-legs

I’d love a filter which meant I could filter out commutes and zwifts!

I’m fairly sure that Strava has an agreement with Zwift that that would never be done – it’s a publicity thing for Zwift.

Commutes are very useful to Strava (hence the button on upload that lets you flag it as a Commute ( because they can extract all those rides and monetize them by selling them as anonymised data to councils, highways agencies, town planners etc showing where they should focus their cycle infrastructure activities.

Same with the stream of “John and 18 others have joined [challenge]” which is a hook to get you to do it as well. Sign up for challenge (especially a partner one like Red Bull, Rapha etc) and they get your data.

wait4me

I have a policy that more than two zwift rides a week and they get muted, if all the ride is zwift, unfollowed.

And for habitual dog walkers a Mossad hit squad I guess? 😂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Na, allows us to feel all superior over those that are feart of the rain.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Strava users…’ is closed to new replies.