• This topic has 106 replies, 66 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by murf.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)
  • STRAVA THEFT!!!!!
  • samuri
    Free Member

KOM’s are clearly only set by people with expensive bikes.

Anyone who tracks back to my house is going to be *very* disappointed by the selection of cheap and worn out bikes they find.

kimbers

Im inclined to agree with mikewsmith

is there any actual proof that someones using strava to track you and your riding homies?

thieves were targeting bikes in peoples homes long before strava came along

how do they know youre not riding an argos BSO from your strava?

its much more likely theyve seen some nice bikes and just followed you

zilog6128

If you buy a new bike, maybe don’t publish that in your activity name.

😯

wow, had no idea that was possible (or that they’re be so many “new bike” rides!) Glad I can’t be bothered to add a description to any of my rides now!!

Seems the vast majority of people aren’t using privacy zones, either. Maybe Strava should ask for your address and turn it on by default?

its much more likely theyve seen some nice bikes and just followed you

I also agree this is the more likely scenario, though!

Garry_Lager

Don’t publish the name of your bike – call it “road bike” or something instead of “my amazing £7000 Cervelo”

Why not just call it by it’s real name, thieves will be none the wiser? e.g. Jethro, Percy etc to name two of mine.

Everyone names their bikes don’t they?

lightman
    Free Member

This isn’t really anything new, its been going on for years.
    Garmin Connect is exactly the same if you dont make your rides private.

Listen to what people have said above, make your rides private and only share or allow to be followed by people you know.
    NEVER list the actual makes and models of bikes you have, Road, Road2, mtb, mtb2 etc… you know what bike they are, nobody else needs to know, but if you have your privacy set up correctly, is doesn’t matter, as only people you allow will be able to see that info.

In this day and age, it is really easy for people to Google a name or a picture, and have a good chance of tracking down an address from it.

Oh, and on Strava/Garmin Connect, I don’t use my real name either. Its a bit pointless having a privacy zone if you use your real name in full for all to see!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Don’t publish the name of your bike – call it “road bike” or something instead of “my amazing £7000 Cervelo”

I have –
    Angry Bike
    Donkey
    The Dandy Horse.
    Thumbies!
    Touch of the dark side.
    Turbo trainer of shame.

None of them are 7k Cervelos

jonba
    Free Member

Don’t believe it is Strava. Bikes have been stolen for years.

Take sensible precautions, don’t over react. Enjoy yourself – statistically it’ll all be fine.

baby
    Free Member

Now this is an innovative way of making sure others can’t take their KOM’s back.

lightman
    Free Member

Holly shit, that Activity Search seems a really bad idea!
    Even when Im not logged in, I can search for Cervelo in my area and most of the results that come up, I can go straight to the door of the owner of said bike and most seem stupid enough to have a picture of it too, along with their full name!

Dickyboy

One thing that occurred to me that might be handy for scallywags would be a search like this

not even registered with strava & I can see all that 😯

kimbers

oh no what if scalywags are reading this then they will know all about it!

never post anything online ever

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Interesting scoring system. Some MAMILs who could have scratched some paintwork versus an inattentive professional driver who could have killed someone.

Indeed. Just searched for “S-Works” in my town and someone has titled their ride “Ride home on new S-Works”. No privacy settings, it takes me straight to their front door. The ride was only posted a week a ago, so I might nip round and get it later 😉

andytherocketeer

Or someone else’s door that just happens to be exactly 1km from their home?

martinhutch

The only other point to make is that most people seem to use their full name, or at least something close to it. Even with privacy settings on, a quick scan of the electoral roll for the streets inside the zone will throw up your address with no bother whatsoever.

hora
    Free Member

Where was it stolen from, house or shed?

fubar
    Free Member

Or someone else’s door that just happens to be exactly 1km from their home?

just what I was going to say. My rides appear to stop outside a house but it isn’t mine

nedrapier

Enjoy yourself – statistically it’ll mostly be fine

fasthaggis

My rides appear to stop outside a house but it isn’t mine

Yeah ,thanks a bunch Fubar ,all my bikes will get nicked now and I don’t even have Strava,I had better put a ” Bikes this way “sign outside pointing up the road to your house 😉

gazc
    Free Member

Indeed. Just searched for “S-Works” in my town and someone has titled their ride “Ride home on new S-Works”. No privacy settings, it takes me straight to their front door. The ride was only posted a week a ago, so I might nip round and get it later

i’ve just done the same thing and got a scary result too 😯 although one guy has privacy settings on, his short ‘s-works test ride’ starts in one direction along his road and returns from the other direction. mr scallywag just needs to measure halfway along the gap to pinpoint a few houses to take a closer at…

fasthaggis

mr scallywag just needs to measure halfway along the gap to pinpoint a few houses to take a closer at.

Yup,they probably read bike forum threads like this and pick up any number of tips and tricks. 😉

sgn23
    Free Member

Another thing to be cautious of is putting your full name on Strava. It’s easy to link full names to your address with sites like 192.com

binners

I start and finish all my rides at Horas house.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

This seems like a good time to start a show me photos of your bike thread 😉

Maybe even make it make and model specific?

christhetall
    Free Member

Everyone names their bikes don’t they?

Ivor, Arthur and Tammy

But my friends seem to think I’m odd

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I have offset privacy zones so that my house isn’t at the centre of a single circle, my username is unique to strava and my bikes are called road and mountain. Aside from not using strava anything else i should do to make it more secure?

johnnystorm

binners – Member
    I start and finish all my rides at Horas house.”

I’ll go elsewhere then, I need a bigger frame.

Perhaps I’ve just been lucky so far but life’s too short to get worked up about this beyond obvious privacy settings.

andytherocketeer

kinell @ that activity search

Just looked at first one in the list and it is more than obvious the exact house. Even rode round the block at the start/end of the ride so is very clearly an exact match and not an exclusion zone edge.
    edit: and the ride is dated July 2013 so new bike really is pretty new not new 3 years ago.

Glad I binned Strava a year back.

bland

Yeah surnames are a stupid idea, you can find people in seconds on 192.com so security settings or not it makes **** all difference, removed mine a few weeks back for such a reason!

STATO
    Free Member

For those of you who use Strava, here is a quick privacy top tip (which ive not seen mentioned anywhere else).

Strava use some sort of google style address recognition, so if your postcode is unique to a few houses when you create a Strava privacy zone you only get a small circle, or bigger for more etc. What i hadnt realised is due to the address recognition you can actually type anything in and it creates a privacy zone accordingly. So you can type street names in, towns etc. It guesses how big the thing youve entered is and adds a little extra around. It even seems to work if you type a range of house numbers; i.e. 1-99 Random Street.

andytherocketeer

By trying to be clever, it sounds potentially dumb.

Round here the zip code is the whole of the center of town. I chose a 1km or larger circle, when I used it.

In the unlikely event that I post anything back there, especially if it came from a Garmin, I’ll run it thru gpsbabel script which will physically remove data point within a defined area before it’s even uploaded.

mattrgee
    Free Member

For those of you who use Strava, here is a quick privacy top tip (which ive not seen mentioned anywhere else).

Strava use some sort of google style address recognition, so if your postcode is unique to a few houses when you create a Strava privacy zone you only get a small circle, or bigger for more etc. What i hadnt realised is due to the address recognition you can actually type anything in and it creates a privacy zone accordingly. So you can type street names in, towns etc. It guesses how big the thing youve entered is and adds a little extra around. It even seems to work if you type a range of house numbers; i.e. 1-99 Random Street.

That’s a great tip Stato!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im on Strava and used it for some time. I don’t use my actual name and my e-mail linked to the account is similarly anonymous.
    I’ve done this mainly to avoid repercussions of riding cheeky trails, but not being traceable to me or my home is another bonus!
    As others have done, I’ve set up a couple of privacy zones around the house and none of my bikes have any specific info other than FS or HT.

STATO
    Free Member

By trying to be clever, it sounds potentially dumb.
    Round here the zip code is the whole of the center of town. I chose a 1km or larger circle, when I used it.
    In the unlikely event that I post anything back there, especially if it came from a Garmin, I’ll run it thru gpsbabel script which will physically remove data point within a defined area before it’s even uploaded.

Strava don’t allow you to set the size of the zone manually anymore, and in the UK postcodes can be VERY specific sometimes. Strava does allow you to manually cut rides short, but doing that on every ride manually is a bit of an ache, especially if you upload rides through the phone app. Sounds like you don’t use it enough to have the problems we do.

andytherocketeer

I don’t use it at all (any more).
    Far too many niggly bugs like that (tiny little map, search had to have an entire route within the mapview else it wouldn’t show it – zoom in and the route would disappear, groups, friend/follower security,…).
    If they’ve removed the user definable exclusion zone size, then that’s a monumental fubar.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I don’t use it at all (any more).

It’s funny, I got that the first four times that you told us in this thread.

zippykona

Endomondo has no similar facility to hide locations so make sure your privacy settings are set so that joe public can’t see your tracks/location.

Being a numpty ,how can I tell if I’m private or not?

andytherocketeer

Settings… Privacy… check the boxes as applicable.

For an individual workout, you can also change the public/private setting too, in case you want to make one public when the default is private (or vice versa).

clubber
    Free Member

Just tried it and that doesn’t work to affect the size of the privacy zone – if I type in “London” for example it creates the usual sized (500-1000m) privacy zone around wherever Google determines the centre of London to be.

I’ve noticed though that my original privacy zones are still there and bigger than what is now standard so the functionality to vary zone size is still there, just hidden.

crazy-legs

You can’t manually change the Strava privacy zones by size anymore (it’s just a defined size; 200m, 500m, 1km etc) but you can set multiple overlapping ones if you want. Another tip is not to use YOUR postcode as the centre, use something a couple of streets away – that way if someone does manage to narrow your routes down to a defined privacy zone, the centre of it still won’t be your house.

Houns

I used strava for first time yesterday. I’ve used 5 local postcodes to set up one big exclusion zone

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘STRAVA THEFT!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.