Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Strava segments gone mad
  • stewartc
    Free Member

Just been following a buddies Strava while he is back in the UK and I cant help but notice that its going a little crazy with the Strava segments out there, one ride at Cannock (follow the dog) had 154 for just over 10km, is this normal everywhere else?

Susie
    Free Member

It’s a new thing – annual leader boards. See here

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/strava-resetting-all-leader-boards

jonba
    Free Member

I think your answering a different question. Because there is little control over making segments if people ignore the duplicates warning you end up with hundreds. Most trail centres are the same in my experience. Same for really popular road climbs. Not as bad elsewhere but on common roads every mile of it will be covered by a segment of some sort. It is only once I get into the back of beyond in the moors that there are segment free bits.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

The overlapping segments is pretty daft. Box Hill on the road has about 30 segments all covering the same stretch of road!

chakaping
    Free Member

I dunno why people do this. Seems so pointless.

Can only think it’s when a segment hasn’t registered on their ride? Or if they started pedalling harder at a specific spot?

matts
    Free Member

Must. Be. KOM.

Not. Good. Enough.

Must. Create. New. Segment.

You think it’s bad? Try commuting in London. I go through about a thousand segments on the way to work. Probably about 3 of them are suitable for pushing on.

martinhutch

It’s ridiculous. Noticed a load of pointless new ones springing up on my local loops. They should let you vote on duplicates and make the losing ones private.

legend
    Free Member

chakaping – Member
    I dunno why people do this. Seems so pointless.
    Can only think it’s when a segment hasn’t registered on their ride? Or if they started pedalling harder at a specific spot?
    POSTED 45 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

That’s exactly it, didn’t register therefore obvs doesn’t exist…..on the most popular trail at the most popular trail centre (for example). The other one is that rider A makes a segment, rider B determines that the start/finish aren’t in the right place so makes a new segment – often with “fixed” at the end of the title.

Sadly, I can’t see this getting fixed unless all recording devices are 100% accurate in all conditions (ie never)

AlexSimon

Agreed – rubbish.
    Did 100climbs #71 Swiss Hill yesterday which is just a short cobbled hill in Alderley Edge.
    12 segments for the same climb. 9 of them pointless. 3 useful.

As someone said, you should be able to mark some as duplicates. Enough votes and it becomes private and the creator gets informed that people think it’s a duplicate and the option to delete it.

njee20
    Free Member

In what way does it detract from your enjoyment? It’s a bit daft, but meh.

mattjg
    Free Member

It’s a significant usability issue on Strava IMO, they need to sort it out with some kind of curation. As njee says, Box Hill is a particularly good example.

However Strava’s just a toy, not to be taken seriously. I don’t use it much nowadays.

AlexSimon

njee20 – Member

In what way does it detract from your enjoyment? It’s a bit daft, but meh.
    Kind of. But then the whole point of Strava is data. This is an example of poor data.
    For example, you might get 10 PRs on a ride to find out on closer inspection that it was all on the same section of road/track.

jam-bo

It even warns you when you create a segment there are many the same.

Gary_C

Strava’s just a toy, not to be taken seriously.

😯

crazy-legs

Try doing a lap of Richmond Park – must be about 100 segments per lap, it’s stupid. Loads of overlaps where someone has set it up then some other idiot comes along and decides that actually it needs to go from the second lamppost or 50m over the top of the hill…

DickBarton

Contact Strava and suggest a fix…I doubt they spend much time here reading all the Strava suggestions…

AlexSimon

[edit: ignore, very old thread]
    There’s a discussion here:
    https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/21727682-Too-many-segments

milky1980
    Free Member

On my regular rides I’ve clicked on the button on the ride page to hide the useless ones and now only have a few to look at (it remembers your preferences). If enough people do this for the same segment it doesn’t appear by default for anyone else riding that route apparently.

If I do create a segment for myself (usually to measure my ‘improvement’ between two stops) I keep it private.

Susie
    Free Member

Sorry, misread the thread. What Milky says about clicking the hide button, I’ve done this a few times. At Hicks lodge someone had set up a segment called Hicks at night (or something similar), it was the same as other segments. There’s also far too many on Cardiac Hill at Cannock.

nuke

It takes a little of the fun out of looking at the segments if you’re just wading through dozens of duplicates and it’ll only get worse as more and more are created. Strava need to come up with some strategy to deal with it more head on than they have been. Maybe the simplest solution would be to only let Premium members create segments 😈

chakaping
    Free Member

Maybe the simplest solution would be to only let Premium members create segments

I like your thinking but I’d put a twist on it.

Everyone can create segments, but premium members can DELETE them.

njee20
    Free Member

I can honestly say that all the duplicate segments in no way detract from my enjoyment of Strava. Never occurred to me that it would for anyone. Weird!

deadkenny
    Free Member

GPS inaccuracy is half the problem, and yes causes people to create extra segments. I’ve even done it where I’ve confirmed my trace is actually pretty much spot on but the original that was created was actually way off and sometimes it would match mine and most the time not and likewise missed friends out who were on the same ride, so I do one marked as “alternative match”.

As said it doesn’t really detract from the enjoyment of Strava. Only thing that niggles me really is where a new trail is put in nearby or replacing an old one, quite different trail but the segment leaderboard is showing people who road it years ago. They need an option to expire a segment or to mark one as starting from a particular date. Still though I generally set the leaderboard stuff to just show friends so it doesn’t matter and I’m not using it to compete anyway, just out of interest.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Strava segments gone mad’ is closed to new replies.