Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Strava question – android app issue
  • IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Reluctantly started using Strava. Not entirely sure why, as I’m not KOM chaser of challenges bagger but I’m using it regardless.

One things seems to be unclear to me. Are you able somehow to just turn it on, have it working in the background of your mobile, drawing your map, recording your miles and feet without need of having screen “On” all the time?

Been on few new to me rides, that I really wanted to have GPS track recorder for (might be that is the using reason…) and only half way through the ride realized that screen is off and last 2-3 hours of riding is gone, converted into straight line from last recorded point…

Very annoying…

Is that a case of Strava settings or mobile settings? I’m not technophobic luddite, but definitely not the sharpest tool in the box re mobile/technical gadgets…

Cheers!

I.

scotroutes

You’ll have to exempt it from any battery saver mode but yes, it will record while the screen is off.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No need for the screen to be on, sounds like you have paused it there

miketually
    Free Member

Strava records while the screen is off for me, but does randomly crap out.

You might have a power saving feature that shuts down apps when your screen locks.

martinhutch

Works fine for me, I tend to start it running, then close the app back to the homescreen to avoid me inadvertently turning it off in my pocket.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

You’ll have to exempt it from any battery saver mode but yes, it will record while the screen is off.

That might be a case… Just disabled battery saver on Strava. Will see if that works the treat.

Cheers!

I.

13thfloormonk

There was also a period when either Strava or Android had an issue with auto-pausing, think if you set off too fast without getting full satellites or something. Make sure phone and app are both up-to-date?

No need to be a KOM bagger, lots of other useful features including a really useful route planner, heatmaps (if you’re premier or use Veloviewer) plus just general GPS usefulness. Embrace it! ; )

mm93
    Free Member

Do you have a Huawei mobile by any chance?if so it’s a common problem that’s never been sorted out as far as I know,mine always cuts out at around an hour,tried all the work arounds but nothings ever worked.

I use an old windows phone now without a sim  card in,never fails.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Do you have a Huawei mobile by any chance?

I’m on Xiaomi Redmi4.

Looks like sorted now 🙂

Battery saver disabled on Strava, mobile locked, all nice and dandy…

It was hour long commute though, so not declaring full victory as yet. Will try on something longer over the weekend.

Cheers!

I.

twowheels
    Free Member

If you just want GPS logging and map features I’d suggest OruxMaps (for Android).

I started using Strava last month* and had exactly that issue with battery saver mode.

* because I am shallow enough to chase some KOMs 🙂

cb200
    Free Member

Yep, battery saver mode sets the GPS so that it is only active when the screen is on. As most riders don’t look at their phones during the ride, only at the start and end, it tricks Strava into thinking you have zoomed from start to end in a few seconds.

My last forgot-to-deactivate-power-saver-mode ride showed an average of 1,281 mph!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Strava question – android app issue’ is closed to new replies.