Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Strava problems – not “analysing” the ride properly
  • Mintyjim

I did a loop at Afan yesterday on my ebike – Trek Rail – I’ve tried a number of times to upload from my Garmin watch to Strava which it does seamlessly every time – both automatically and when I use the manual upload.
    The problem is that although it accurately states that the ride is an e-bike ride I’m KOMing (?!) in strange places because all the segments/results comparisons are against non-ebike riders, which is massively unfair to them!
    For the Wall there aren’t as many ebike segments so it’s obvious straight away something is wrong and all my historical comparisons on the segments are against my previous analogue bike rides.

Anyone had this before? I’ve tried changing the activity to “run”, then “nordic ski” etc. before returning it to ebike but every time ebike is selected the comparisons return to “ride”.

Thoughts?

Cheers

mashr

My first thought is that it’s not worth worrrying about. If anyone gets upset I’m sure they’ll flag your ride, then if you really want you can talk to Strava about it

13thfloormonk

What is your default privacy setting?

I used to default to ‘private’ as I do a lot of repetitive boring morning rides, but I noticed if I did a big new route on the weekends and switched it back to public then the results and segments didn’t show correctly.

Default to public and it uploads fine, people will just need to skip past my endless ‘morning rides’! 😁

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Mintyjim

Hi Mashr – I only use Strava to gauge my own improvement (or otherwise) really so now I can’t compare my effort against previous e-bike rides.

Default privacy setting is public.

The upload is fine and accurate and registers as an e-bike ride, it’s just the segments that are wrong – showing ride not e-bike.

I know this is nothing in the grand scheme of life, just curious if it’s me or Strava here?!

DickBarton

Slightly tongue-in-cheek but…

Are you the only rider flagging your ride as ebike so Strava knows (somehow) and just compares you against all rides as no-one else has changed their setting and is logging ‘normal’ rides on ebikes?

Mintyjim

I don’t think so….

I did an identical ride last week on my Rail and when you compare the segments between yesterday’s ride and last weeks – both saved as e-bike – the segments are wildly different; far fewer saved segments on the correctly analysed ebike ride.

DickBarton

What are you recording them with? GPs Unit? Watch? Phone? Suspect that won’t really make any odds, it seems to be Strava’s algorithm that isn’t matching it up properly.

twisty

I had this happen once to a ride, even though I’d changed it from run to ride it was somehow registering the segments as run and giving me a bunch of CR’s. People flagged it and even though I explained to Strava the issue they didn’t do anything about it. The solution was to download the GPX, delete the whole thing from strava and then upload the GPX back.

Mintyjim

It’s recorded on my Garmin Forerunner 235 as a FIT file. This is not corrupted as everything else matches the Garmin data.

I’ve deleted and uploaded the file a number of times now to Strava, even choosing a completely different activity like Nordic Ski. Then when it’s on Strava I correct it to e-bike but, still, the segments are “ride” segments.

I think DickBarton’s right, it’s a glitch in Strava’s algorithm.

I’m out again on Wednesday with the ebike so I’ll see then if it’s systemic or a one off.

Thanks for the input

13thfloormonk

It’s definitely a Strava glitch, seems to have arisen after they started charging for the bulk of the features unfortunately, I got better service when I was a freeloader! 😀

escrs
    Free Member

Have you tried making e bike segments on the route you have done?

If you create more e bike segments it may help it Strava to realise your ride is an e bike ride plus you get the bonus of getting the KOM on every segment you create until its beaten by someone else

CraigW
    Free Member

Try clicking “Refresh activity achievements”?
    Or setting it as private then public again might help. Can take a while for segments results to update.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

There’s definitely sopmething wonky going on with Strava of late…

I recently defaulted all activities to private.

The other evening, I popped out and got blown up the gentle incline back home, on a road I rarely cycle on. I uploaded the ride and made it public

Surprisingly, I could see my times for many of the incline segments were top 5 for the year and/or top 5 for all-time, but the leaderboards wouldn’t use times from this windy ride.

I had to make all activities public by default and then refresh achievements to resolve the issue.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Strava problems – not “analysing” the ride properly’ is closed to new replies.