Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • strava or it didn’t happen….
  • rhinofive

I use a Garmin 810 and the USB socket must’ve got too wet / muddy at some point as although it charges from either plug or pc it won’t allow me to connect ‘as a device’ to export any rides. As such I use the bluetooth connection to my phone to up/download routes & rides. so far so good.

last weekend I did a ‘big ride’ which saw it run out of power before I’d saved and uploaded, so although I can see the ride on the garmin (with all map, elevation, time, speed data etc) I can’t export it as presumably the ‘save’ action does something important. When this has happened before the USB died I could simply find the back-up and upload that, but can’t work out how to do this via bluetooth.

I have it set to record rides onto internal memory rather than SD card, so I suppose the questions are:
    – is there any way to access the back-up ride file via bluetooth
    – can I get it to copy the ride file from internal memory to the SD card?

anyone got any ideas?

EDIT: yes I’ve tried Garmin, and yes they’ve suggested I buy a new one

crumpsbutts
    Free Member

Basic question but have you tried different micro usb cables? They are not all built the same and I find that with dodgy or loose sockets sometimes one cable will work where another fails. Also make sure that the cable supports data; charge-only cables exist.

The second and third pins from the left in the micro usb socket transfer data, do they both look intact? Sometimes they can get bent but you can straighten them out with a pin.

rhinofive

yep, tried a combination of leads and also pc & laptop so pretty sure it the USB on the garmin that has the problem

might try sticking a pin in and seeing if that does anything…….

….nope, still ‘device not recognised’

jonba
    Free Member

Can you force it to sync through garmin connect? I’ve had old rides on my 1000 sync when I’ve connected it.

Also I’m sure there is an option to manually upload individual rides when it is connected with bluetooth. Have you looked at the ride in history and checked out the menus?

damascus
    Free Member

Time to buy a wahoo. Having owned a 205, 305, 500, 605, 705, 800, 810 and 820 the wahoo has been a revelation. Now converted. Might even upgrade from the bolt to a roam.

2nd hand bolt was £100 off the classifieds. Bargain!

rhinofive

it’ll upload rides if I’ve pressed stop and asked it to save, but it seems that if this wasn’t done (because it shut itself down when running out of power) that the file doesn’t have the magic ingredient for an upload to Connect

damascus
    Free Member

Can you manually download it from Garmin and manually upload to strava?

docrobster
    Free Member

Go for another ride and see if it will sync both when you upload the new ride over BT?

rhinofive

I’ve since uploaded subsequent ‘rides’ but it will not upload the one where it ran out of juice before being able to save it

all the data is in there, just need to find a way of getting it out……..

RoterStern
    Free Member

Have you checked on Garmin Connect if the ride has uploaded there? Sometimes Strava won’t accept a file if it is corrupted. Happens to me a lot. Strava have an app to uncorrupt data but unfortunately you have to manually upload the file direct from your Garmin, which you will need a cable.🤔

rhinofive

definitely not showing on Connect; have tried uploading from the garmin and tying to catch in unawares with a synch from Connect but no joy…….

kelron
    Free Member

Try some contact cleaner in the socket.

hopkinsgm

I had an 810 that started getting stroppy about cabled connections – it started doing this a couple of days before I was about to head off on a multi day trip and struggling to transfer gpx route files into \Garmin\NewFiles\. Eventually managed to find a help article on Garmin website that gave info on forcing the device into mass storage mode – if I recall, the procedure was to press and hold the lap/reset button when you powered the unit up to force it into mass storage mode, and then plug it into the laptop – the laptop then picked it up as a drive so I could transfer the GPXs on.

Might be worth trying this, and then having a nose around in \Garmin\Activities\ to see if you can grab the *.fit file to see if you can transfer that to Garmin Connect, Strava or wherever…?

hopkinsgm

Or alternatively, if you can see the ride in the Garmin (History -> Rides), you might be able to force it to upload that specific ride…?

b1gf00t
    Free Member

I had the same problem with my 810, incorrectly ended activities are saved in the device and not the SD card and can only be accessed by the USB port. Mine was water damaged after too many damp rides. I found someone on eBay in Russia selling the small pcb that does the SD and USB functions, it was quite an easy swap with only the two speaker wires to solder. The PCB only cost about £7 but took a month to get here. Can’t find the seller now but this may help

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202764109341

b1gf00t
    Free Member
    lillski74
    Free Member

As above, forget the Garmin and go Wahoooooooo

rhinofive

thanks all; ride definitely ‘in there’ as shows on ‘all rides’ function with all ride info, map etc

have tried all the cleaning, poking, twanging of USB pins so looks like the PCB route is the way to go unless someone can give me very idiotproof instructions on a ‘forced upload’ from ‘all ride’ route

cheers

ready

I use an 810 Edge and I’ve had a similar issue where the ride has been “stuck” in the Garmin. It may well be the knackered USB port, but this could be worth a try? Delete everything out of the Garmin (saved rides, downloaded GPXs etc) except the ride you want to upload obviously. Turn it all off and then back on again and try the bluetooth again. Good luck!

damascus
    Free Member

Do Garmin still have a replacement policy for out of date devices? It used to be good value.

twrch
    Free Member

I have one more spare USB board for the Edge 800, which should work in the Edge 810.

However, they come in several different types, which are not physically compatible.

There are instructions on the internet explaining how to identify which PCB is in your unit.

There are also some repair services on ebay for £25. I also have some of the actual USB sockets to re-solder to the PCB, but 1. I’m not a professional repair guy and 2. I would also charge around £25.

lorax

These people fixed my old Garmin 520 which had the same problem with the charging part. That cost £40, but it looks as if the 810 is cheaper. They had it for about 10 days on the standard option, and did a great job. They also offer an expedited service for an extra tenner.

rhinofive

……so my Garmin has just uploaded the ride when I turned it on this evening. no idea but panic over

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘strava or it didn’t happen….’ is closed to new replies.