• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by chaos.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Strava on iphone – what am I missing?
  • DrJ

Using my iPhone instead of something like a Garmin, of course the screen keeps going blank, so I can’t see the ride information. If I turn the Lock Screen to “never” I run out of battery before I get halfway round my ride. Am I missing something obvious (been known to happen) or is that Just How It Is ?

robvalentine

GPS and screen = lots of battery use, if doing a long ride, just get a garmin, or equivilent . Sturdier if you crash. battery will last a lot longer.

montylikesbeer

I use my Iphone and set it to low battery usage.

It gets me round my rides on this setting

mashr

This is why phones aren’t great for GPS use like this. If using mine I just start recording and leave the phone in my pocket, if needing navigation I use a Garmin. Screen brightness generally has to crank itself up pretty high to remain visible, this absolutely smashes through battery life. You can override it but it’s still not ideal

ampthill

Power bank plugged in

plus-one

I’ve used my iPhone(with Strava) for few years. Ok phone is in back pocket but records rides from 2-6hrs easily !

onewheelgood

It’s a phone, not a GPS device. Your can get a bit more life out of it when using it as a GPS by putting it in aeroplane mode, but if you keep the screen on it’s not going to last long.

jimmy748

iPhone will be recording data points every 4 seconds, a Garmin every second (settings dependent), so segment times recorded on an iPhone can be way off.

mashr

iPhone will be recording data points every 4 seconds

Is that figure correct? I’ve never noticed an iphone recording look like the sort of mess that gives

DrJ

iPhone will be recording data points every 4 seconds, a Garmin every second

That must be why my segment times are four times longer than everyone else’s. Or maybe there’s another explanation… 🙁

jam-bo

iPhone will be recording data points every 4 seconds

years ago that was the case. pretty sure it isnt now.

the biggest factor in accuracy between garmin/phone is the fact that one tends to be stuffed in a pocket/bag, and the other mounted on the bars with a sky view.

mount both on the bars and I’d be surprised if you can tell the difference between a garmin track and a modern iphone track.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Yes, thats just how it is, A dedicated GPS will have a battery life measured in days compared to a phones 1-2hrs. I used to get better battery life turning off all notifications, WIFI, Bluetooth and mobile date, but then whats the point of using a phone. A dedicated GPS will also connect to external sensors unlike Strava who sometimes decide to disable that functionality.

The other reason not to mount your phone to the bars on your MTB is that it subjects the phone to vibrations which can damage the camera. I’ve seen this 1st hand, photos taken on my iPhone SE (2016) are visibly worse compared to my daughter’s which has never been strapped to a MTB.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212803

scuttler

Issue here appears to be using it for navigation, not just recording.

TiRed

Get an Apple Watch 3 cheap and add pair it to your iPhone. It will also record HR. Works well for commutes and other rides. I’ve been impressed.

DrJ

Issue here appears to be using it for navigation, not just recording.

Yes, that, and to see where I am on segments etc. I had a brainwave – maybe … perhaps I can set up another “appearance” for FaceID which consists of me in a helmet, wearing a grimace of pain, and use that to unlock the screen when needed?

Or else bite the bullet and buy a GPS.

scotroutes

Or a cheaper phone that you could set in Airplane mode and wouldn’t be too bothered about damaging?

chaos

“Hey Siri, open Strava”

Could work, you might have to change some setting to allow Siri to open things from a locked screen.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.