Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Strava newbie
  • tom199
    Free Member

So I joined a local club that ride my local trails. I used strava to record the ride. Seeing as the route we took was pretty disorientating in places and my memory not being great I struggle to find some of the more hidden singletrack we rode. My question is can I somehow use strava as a sort of satnav to allow me to follow the exact route we took?

nickdavies

What did you record it with?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

in a word yes but you need to export the route to a GPS device such as a Garmin for example and set it as a route to follow.

tom199
    Free Member

Ah ok, I recorded it on the strava app on my phone. I don’t have a garmin but wondered if the strava app had some sort of playback feature, obviously not. Is there even a way that you can turn the map feature to satellite (like google maps) so that you could roughly follow it on the screen?

nickdavies

You’ll need a gpx viewer for your phone, you can download the route file to your phone and view/follow that way. Don’t know of any free ones but spending a few quid on an app is less than a few hundred on a nav garmin.

Or you can get the £80 garmin edge 200 to let you follow a route, but it’s literally just a black line to follow.

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

Use Viewranger to record routes at the same time as Strava. It uses either open source or paid for OS maps. And allows you to view/create/sync routes from a pc.

It is possible to export routes from Strava as gpx files then import them into other apps, such as viewranger. Export as gpx Is a premium member feature, however there is a workaround if you google it.

robhenry85
    Free Member

If you look at your ride on strava site with pc/laptop you can change it to a satellite view! Not sure if you can use street view tho.

spev

You can export gpx files of your own rides without a premium account(just tried it to be sure), if you want to export other peoples rides then that requires premium

Clover

I’ve used strava phone on my when lost – explore button at the bottom of the phone screen.

I think it’s intended to show you where all the nearest sections are (which I suppose you could use if you created sections you want to revisit). It was also quite handy for getting me home!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Strava newbie’ is closed to new replies.