Strava Live Segments on a Garmin 520

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Strava Live Segments on a Garmin 520
  • Anyone know how the ahead/behind algorithm works?

Does it compare your current speed against the average speed for the entire segment or does it compare your current speed & position against your “opponents” speed at same position (in other words, the latter is more “real time”).
    Or is it something else?

Mildly curious as one of my starred segments is a long draggy climb on my commute and the ahead/behind values seem to swing wildly over short periods of times whereas my speed is pretty consistent…

Premier Icon mos
    Subscriber

I would hope it’s based on gps position but I too have noticed the same thing. I did wonder whether it could make a difference if you’re comparing a time set when recording on a smartphone vs a Garmin.
    Are you aware that you can set what time you are comparing to? I only figured this one out the other day. Each segment can be done as either kom/following/yourself.

Yes, I’ve got several starred segments, some of which I compare my own times and some I compare against people I’m following. I gave up comparing against KOMs a long time ago!

I got curious when I noticed I sometimes went into an immediate deficit on the starting the segment…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.